I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

any answers

User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 18:20

hi could any one shed some light about sugrey if one has a mesh implant /hernia repair?

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 07:16

I had a previous inguinal mesh repaired hernia pre RARP. The surgen found the scar in pre op exam and said it wouldnt cause a problem. It was fairly low on the left side.

Incidently I have now developed another inguinal hernia on the right. It will be repaired by open rather than key hole week after next, due to the scars from the RARP.

Good luck with your op.

Cheers

Bill

Edited by member 14 Oct 2018 at 08:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 21:09
I also had a hernia repair in 2009 when a mesh was put in place.

Had an open RP in 2014.

The prior hernia op was never an issue as regards the RP.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 18:42

It is a case by case issue. We have had members here who were refused key-hole RP because of the mesh and others who were told it makes no difference. It probably depends on the exact position of the mesh and how old it is.

Edited by member 14 Oct 2018 at 23:15  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 13 Oct 2018 at 19:12

thanks lyn I go for my pre/opp on the 23/10/18 so I will mention it to the nurse I had a groin hernia about 10years ago / no one up to press has asked if I have a mesh repaired hernia I would have thought they would have asked when I opted for surgery ? anyway I hope that it wont cause any problems , will keep posted many thanks

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 07:16

I had a previous inguinal mesh repaired hernia pre RARP. The surgen found the scar in pre op exam and said it wouldnt cause a problem. It was fairly low on the left side.

Incidently I have now developed another inguinal hernia on the right. It will be repaired by open rather than key hole week after next, due to the scars from the RARP.

Good luck with your op.

Cheers

Bill

Edited by member 14 Oct 2018 at 08:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 21:09
I also had a hernia repair in 2009 when a mesh was put in place.

Had an open RP in 2014.

The prior hernia op was never an issue as regards the RP.
User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 23:16

The surgeon presumably saw that you had previously had hernia repair when s/he looked at your notes - if the surgeon isn't concerned then happy days!

I think the position of the mesh is only a problem for keyhole RP so must be to do with exact positioning. 

Worth noting though that men are at increased risk of hernia post-op, particularly if they overdo things too soon. A good reason to take your time with recovery. 

Edited by member 14 Oct 2018 at 23:19  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard