I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

NHS guidelines for for treament

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 17:06

Hy I know there are guidlines regarding the time between seeing your doctor and having an appointment at hospital if cancer is suspected,but once,you're diagnosed, is there any time scale before treatment is started ?

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 19:37

Yes there is a target of 31 days for treatment to start after your full diagnosis has been given to you. Anything more than 60 days is a failure to meet the target. However, this can be put aside if you ask for a second opinion or opt for treatment outside your own local area. Sadly there are a large number of NHS trusts who do not meet the targets.

Edited by member 14 Oct 2018 at 23:22  | Reason: typo

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 20:12

Thank you

User
Posted 14 Oct 2018 at 20:17
Dave, prostate cancer is very slow-growing, so don’t get stressed if there is a delay in starting treatment. A delay of a few weeks or even a few months won’t reduce your chances of curative treatment.

Chris

User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 22:50

just heard today that it will be most likely at the end of November which will be about 60 days from diagnosis to operation

User
Posted 16 Oct 2018 at 15:06

The earlier suggestion of 'A delay of a few weeks or even a few months won’t reduce your chances of curative treatment.' is complete and utter [insert appropriately derogative term of your choice].

Although well-intentioned, it's misleading and potentially dangerously so. Aggressive cancers can double in six weeks.

Yes, while Pca often does proceed at a relatively leisurely pace, it merits greater priority than 'that wonky table-leg that you've always meant to fix but never quite got to.'

(I'm not following this thread, so won't see replies to this. I've no desire for debate or disagreement.)

Edited by member 16 Oct 2018 at 15:07  | Reason: Not specified