I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wot Ben said...

User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 16:45

It having been some considerable time since a fresh wittering from me...

Ben Franklin apparently once said 'Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.'

I'm wondering if they maybe had cancer?

My body smell seems to have recently changed - and not for the better (it was never that good to begin with).

Had the hormone treatment not reduced my cognitive ability (which also was never that good to begin with) to 'about zero' (honestly, I've known bananas smarter than I now am), the choices would likely be simple...

#1 Fully embrace my testosterone-free life, and use gallons(yes, it's that bad) of perfume to mask the odour (a new handbag wouldn't go amiss, either).

#2 Pretend I'm still a 'proper bloke', and wear appropriately soiled work clothes. (Enjoying gardening, perhaps I could get one of those Monty Don sweaters and cart a bag of horse cr*p around with me - thus replacing my current undesirable aroma with something definitely more agreeable.)

#3 ...I don't know. Is there a #3? Ah... yes... wait for the radiotherapy to trigger incontinence, and thus be able to walk around all day stinking of widdle (honestly mate, it could hardly be worse). Hhhmmm... yes, that sounds like a plan. Other than putting a bit of a damper on the carol singing, what could possibly go wrong?

'And with that, he was gorn agin.'

Edited by member 16 Oct 2018 at 14:38  | Reason: 'Excess carriage returns blight my life.' And it's Tuesday.

User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 16:45

It having been some considerable time since a fresh wittering from me...

Ben Franklin apparently once said 'Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.'

I'm wondering if they maybe had cancer?

My body smell seems to have recently changed - and not for the better (it was never that good to begin with).

Had the hormone treatment not reduced my cognitive ability (which also was never that good to begin with) to 'about zero' (honestly, I've known bananas smarter than I now am), the choices would likely be simple...

#1 Fully embrace my testosterone-free life, and use gallons(yes, it's that bad) of perfume to mask the odour (a new handbag wouldn't go amiss, either).

#2 Pretend I'm still a 'proper bloke', and wear appropriately soiled work clothes. (Enjoying gardening, perhaps I could get one of those Monty Don sweaters and cart a bag of horse cr*p around with me - thus replacing my current undesirable aroma with something definitely more agreeable.)

#3 ...I don't know. Is there a #3? Ah... yes... wait for the radiotherapy to trigger incontinence, and thus be able to walk around all day stinking of widdle (honestly mate, it could hardly be worse). Hhhmmm... yes, that sounds like a plan. Other than putting a bit of a damper on the carol singing, what could possibly go wrong?

'And with that, he was gorn agin.'

Edited by member 16 Oct 2018 at 14:38  | Reason: 'Excess carriage returns blight my life.' And it's Tuesday.

User
Posted 16 Oct 2018 at 14:51

@Bollinge...

Greetings, John.

The excess carriage returns are a mystery (like much of life) to me.
I usually write offline and then copy-paste to here... which I suspect might be the cause of needless vertical spacing. So I've duly revisited and compacted the opening post.

In view of my reclusiveness, the world cruise was always a non-starter... moreso with the likely increased longevity from the revised prognosis.
And, were I not currently so brainpower-restricted I'd likely be able to conjure-up something witty about the funeral arrangements. But, as-is, I shall let it rest.

(My original post is, all things considered, simply a nitwit-styled brief note on what I suspect might be a 'relatively undiscovered delight of cancer'. The malodour is a problem though... I've already spent £33 this week on Lidl roll-ons, and it's only Tuesday.)

Oh well, things could always be much worse, and I'm very grateful for what I have... amongst which is a still-wrapped-and-untouched (though not for much longer) cake.

Edited by member 16 Oct 2018 at 14:55  | Reason: Trying to meet the 'I know he can do better' encouragement of my fourth-year biology teacher in 1971

User
Posted 26 Oct 2018 at 13:42
I had similar except that instead of stopping smelling "bloke after sport" I barely started smelling at all. Saves a fortune on deoderant !!!!!££££££
User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 17:48

EyUp Iain  , popster here 😆😆

Seen Simple Minds , won’t bother again . Stereophonics I’d like to. Kelly Jones great voice . Not into all that raucous stuff 😱

loudest i’ve seen Muse , but so good .

You need  to experience stuff or just curl up in a corner. Gotta start filling my diary up for next year now. Was playing my old Beatles Revolver and Abbey Road LPs last night . Albums bought when I was at school and still going strong.

Phil

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 13:44

Hi Iain.

I do feel OK really its just as you say 6 months is a long time and i suppose i was expecting too much of the HT considering what its doing to my mind....

To be honest i was a little concerned that the HT wasn't doing its bit due to my lack of physical symptoms, although its obviously wreaking havoc with my head .....i think my counselor needs to see a counselor now . I am meeting with my brother shortly today and i'm going to 'enlighten' him to my childhood of which he knew nothing.

I think after HT the PSA will go up to a 'normal' level as we still have that little bugger the 'prostate' living inside us. Your level increase does sound like the rise back to what is considered normal.

Anyways, still not interested in the Tough Mudder then  ?  You can always change your mind.....

I am absolutely loving getting fit again and i am so so pleased i don't get the fatigue that everyone seems to get. And being able to fit into nice slim clothes is soooo good. Although its cost me a fortune .

Take care my man, and hope that your head is recovering well from the HT onslaught.....

Phil

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Oct 2018 at 19:01
What a shame you are gorn, for now.

We miss you and your carriage returns.

Did you cancel the world cruise and your funeral arrangements?

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Oct 2018 at 14:51

@Bollinge...

Greetings, John.

The excess carriage returns are a mystery (like much of life) to me.
I usually write offline and then copy-paste to here... which I suspect might be the cause of needless vertical spacing. So I've duly revisited and compacted the opening post.

In view of my reclusiveness, the world cruise was always a non-starter... moreso with the likely increased longevity from the revised prognosis.
And, were I not currently so brainpower-restricted I'd likely be able to conjure-up something witty about the funeral arrangements. But, as-is, I shall let it rest.

(My original post is, all things considered, simply a nitwit-styled brief note on what I suspect might be a 'relatively undiscovered delight of cancer'. The malodour is a problem though... I've already spent £33 this week on Lidl roll-ons, and it's only Tuesday.)

Oh well, things could always be much worse, and I'm very grateful for what I have... amongst which is a still-wrapped-and-untouched (though not for much longer) cake.

Edited by member 16 Oct 2018 at 14:55  | Reason: Trying to meet the 'I know he can do better' encouragement of my fourth-year biology teacher in 1971

User
Posted 25 Oct 2018 at 14:47

Hi Gulliver

You made me laugh this morning, oops! its afternoon, and that must be a good thing. I know exactly what you mean as I would get up and think I smelt like a urinal! I now often have two showers a day and getting to grips with the pelvic floor exercises that my wife knows more about than I do. My daughter bless her bought me some Boss aftershave for my birthday,  which must have been expensive because the very pleasant smell seems to last all day. Is she trying to tell me something. Thanks again for bringing a smile to my face you made my day my friend

James

User
Posted 26 Oct 2018 at 13:42
I had similar except that instead of stopping smelling "bloke after sport" I barely started smelling at all. Saves a fortune on deoderant !!!!!££££££
User
Posted 31 Oct 2018 at 05:52
@JimmyD...

> You made me laugh... thanks again for bringing a smile to my face you made my day my friend.

Thankyou.

If I can help by cheering others, I'm happy.

User
Posted 31 Oct 2018 at 16:40

hello gulliver, 

Now you have me worried as I have always been one of those lucky bastards that doesn’t smell (much) and even my feet don’t smell. But now I’m thinking maybe my sense of smell has gone and I’m really reaking without me knowing. Would my best friends tell me , or just talk about me behind my back ?

Shall I have to wait to see if I get a load of aftershave for Christmas....😱

As for handbags I have a cupboard full and I still can’t decide 🤔🤔🤔

Keep up the good work. If you can’t have a laugh you may as well be dead 😳😳😆

Phil

User
Posted 31 Oct 2018 at 17:50

gulliver, I see you said 4th year Biology in ‘71 . I left school in ‘71 so you are possibly a year younger than me unless you mean Uni. I also notice you are Allman brothers fan , I was into them last year at school and still have the vinyl. May have to pop them on the turntable now as I’m thinking of it .

Phil

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 09:44

@Goalhanger...

> Keep up the good work.

Thank you.

> If you can’t have a laugh you may as well be dead.

Agreed. And it's what I try to impress upon the Serious Fraud Office each time I'm hauled-in for a chat.

> As for handbags I have a cupboard full and I still can’t decide.

A lifelong problem, I fear... I keep my extras in the garage, where 'out of sight, out of mind' they cease being a tiresome choice-chore and instead bring pleasant surprise upon discovery when trying to find a philips-head screwdriver.

> I left school in ‘71 so you are possibly a year younger than me unless you mean Uni.

I was never smart enough for Uni, so left grammar after the first year of sixth-form. I'm 62.

> I also notice you are Allman brothers fan.

Indeed. Saw 'em at Knebworth in seventy-something.

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 09:54

I am in awe -  you saw the Allman Brothers Band with the late great Duane  .........

My first big concert , other than college/local groups etc. was Santana and then Rory Gallagher in '78 in Cologne StadtHaller. Where i was working at the time. I still love seeing bands live and go to a handful every year.

Seen some biggies in my time but Dr Feelgood at the Cliffs in Southend back in very early 80s i will never forget . Keep going Willko - he's had a brush with the grip reaper and is still here.

Phil

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 11:37
@Goalhanger...

Sadly Duane was absent, having already shuffled-off. Still a good gig though, and one which I think I managed to stay awake for (I used to effortlessly fall asleep watching various top bands... perhaps excusable for The Doobie Brothers or Tangerine Dream, but not for many others).

My last 'proper' gig was the Dylan/Clapton Blackbushe bash in 78.

Nowadays my hair's too short to attend such events.

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 12:30

You've not been to a concert since '78 .....what ....

This year I've seen Caro Emerald, Gary Barlow and Paul Young . Wilko Johnson early next year 

Just the last couple of years seen a few old biggies - ABC , Tony Hadley, Justin Haywood, Brian Ferry, Marc Almond , Paul Carrack, Paul Heaton, Brian Wilson, Jools Holland, Muse and some i cant remember...( blame the HT ). Some are a bit of a tick the box but some are still amazing. Muse were great and i was so close but it made me deaf as a post for all the next day......and Jools and Caro are incredible live.

My biggest concert memories are Bowie - Spiders from Mars at Wembley, Clapton playing the Blues at Albert Hall and Simply Red also at the Albert Hall.

Probably not your taste but sometimes its just good to see something live. Also love live Athletics , Track cycling and Mountain biking and my beloved Tottenham, i have even been known to go to Rugby !!

This shitty old PCa ain't gonna keep me down. Whatever it does to you it cant take away what you have done in your life.

And by the way i have a Tangerine Dream Album at home - perhaps when i can't sleep i should put it on .

Take care , my man. Its a tough old world out there but you only get one life.....

Phil

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 17:48

EyUp Iain  , popster here 😆😆

Seen Simple Minds , won’t bother again . Stereophonics I’d like to. Kelly Jones great voice . Not into all that raucous stuff 😱

loudest i’ve seen Muse , but so good .

You need  to experience stuff or just curl up in a corner. Gotta start filling my diary up for next year now. Was playing my old Beatles Revolver and Abbey Road LPs last night . Albums bought when I was at school and still going strong.

Phil

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 19:54
I always thought MUSE was some kind of prophylactic urethral implant to improve erectile function in the case of us limp dicks!

You learn something new every day!

Cheers, John 😂😂😂😂

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 23:20

John , if only .....

we learn something new every day ...

even if it’s something we forgot the day before 🙄

P.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2018 at 12:35

Hi Ye Aulde Popsters,

OK so chaps , now booked to see Muse again in June next year ( London Stadium ) and also the evergreen Rod Stewart also in June ( Brammell Lane, Sheffield ). Used to like Rod and the Faces back in my schooldays but never seen him live. I'm draggin' the missus along to see Muse this time so wish me luck. She likes Rod so no problems there and a weekend away - so i'll be in good books 

But the big one ( for me ) is a Tough Mudder booked for May '19 - gotta have some thing to aim for. I know lots of guys on here have done much bigger things than this whilst on the dreaded HT but until January i was 15 years since last gym membership .......

I have PSA blood test today , results on 6th December, so fingers crossed.....

I'm still counting down the days till my last HT injection ( Hoping to be Oct '19 ). I cannot wait is a massive understatement.....

How you guys doing out there 

Phil

User
Posted 23 Nov 2018 at 14:14

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Ye Aulde Popsters,

OK so chaps , now booked to see Muse again in June next year ( London Stadium ) and also the evergreen Rod Stewart also in June ( Brammell Lane, Sheffield ). Used to like Rod

[The mrs and I used to like a bit of Rod - RARP has put an end to that. Waiting for an appointment at ED clinic to try MUSE now then maybe I'll like that too

Cheers

Bill]

User
Posted 23 Nov 2018 at 14:22
I used the quote facility in the above post. I followed the instructions in help but they are not exactly clear and it doesn't quite display right. Could anyone give clear exact instructions how to quote just a part of a post or part of several posts in one reply please.

PS using android phone

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 23 Nov 2018 at 14:53

Don’t worry Bill we all understood..🤔🤔

I still like Rod 😳😳 but did prefer those early years. A Nod’ and Long Player and Ooh la la were brilliant and the musicianship was superb. Coast to Coast also a favourite 

Muse well I suppose we could all do with some of that😆😆 I will need to take earplugs this time though...mixing with the Yoof.

Fingers very much crossed for the PSA ...

my missus said the other day when we were dancing that I looked like I was on drugs - well I am I said 😉

take care, it’s Hell out there in the real world.

By the way Iain I prefer Rangers too but no one is perfect 😉

Phil

Edited by member 23 Nov 2018 at 14:55  | Reason: Added

User
Posted 23 Nov 2018 at 19:40
John has been to every Rod tour ever done, although I didn't really know who he was when we first met I have seen him at every tour since.

The year that John climbed Kili for Marie Curie in between his RP and RT, someone arranged for us to have special seats at the front at Manchester arena - it was brilliant. You will have a great time!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Nov 2018 at 21:42

Thank you Lynn . I’m sure we will have a great time . And I’m sure also we will end up at Meadow Hall at some point . Went to watch Djokovic at O2 last week and guess what there are new shops there now . 2 Radley handbags later ..... must admit I did buy some shoes so fairs fair.

i love talking to you guys so much . Details of RP and RT and HT are great but sometimes you need a break...

Killimanjaro must have been magnificent . Something I’ve never done , climb a big mountain 🤔🤔🤔

let me deal with Tough Mudder first....

Nighty night , wife is watching Celeb Jungle whatsit, so I’m tucked in with good book now. 

Phil

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 18:17

So just got my latest PSA and it 0.2 . Was expecting lower but it’s still on the way down from 0.3. Consultant doesn’t want to see me for 6 months .....wasn’t expecting that. I feel a little abandoned 😳.

Still not getting any fatigue and managing to keep up the gym and running etc. I think I’m very lucky...

Still aiming for my Tough Mudder next May.

Phil

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 18:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
The year that John climbed Kili for Marie Curie in between his RP and RT, someone arranged for us to have special seats at the front at Manchester arena - it was brilliant. You will have a great time!

Reminds me when I went to see Bob Dylan at the MEN Arena a few years ago. He was dressed entirely in black on a dark stage. I don’t think I ever actually saw him  . Great concert, though!

Chris

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 20:15

yes Iain, except the depression, anxiety, insomnia and ED , piece of cake .  😆😆😆😳

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 23:00

And of course for some of us , a little bit of history thrown in for good measure, let's not leave anything out . 

We all know what a s*** this disease is ,but we only have one life and we are dealt this cruel hand . But you know there are a lot worse off than me, so I'm not going to complain one bit .

I can read every day of people worse off than us so let's enjoy what we can . It doesn't stop me crying every now and then but that's what  being human is ...

Phil ,

By the way Iain there's always a space in the Tough Mudder team for you 😘

Posted after a couple of glasses of wine 😊

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 07:46

Always room for you Iain ....

So back to the PCa for a moment:

Is that good ,going down to 0.2 ?    I was expecting it to be lower on the HT , but the consultant seems happy.

Are you normally left to 6 months PSA after just under a year on the HT ? I was expecting 3 monthly for the next couple at least.

My counseling is still ongoing although i feel the end is in sight after 13 sessions so far. She wants to resume when i start to come off the HT. I must admit i do feel that i was too optimistic at the start about how much, and how quick it would help my 'damaged' mind to heal. I've got 3 or 4 sessions still before we break off for a while and she says we really need to start to talk about the PCa now 

Massive party at the end of my HT - Iain you are invited to that also 

Bye Bye kids, play nicely

Phil

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 13:44

Hi Iain.

I do feel OK really its just as you say 6 months is a long time and i suppose i was expecting too much of the HT considering what its doing to my mind....

To be honest i was a little concerned that the HT wasn't doing its bit due to my lack of physical symptoms, although its obviously wreaking havoc with my head .....i think my counselor needs to see a counselor now . I am meeting with my brother shortly today and i'm going to 'enlighten' him to my childhood of which he knew nothing.

I think after HT the PSA will go up to a 'normal' level as we still have that little bugger the 'prostate' living inside us. Your level increase does sound like the rise back to what is considered normal.

Anyways, still not interested in the Tough Mudder then  ?  You can always change your mind.....

I am absolutely loving getting fit again and i am so so pleased i don't get the fatigue that everyone seems to get. And being able to fit into nice slim clothes is soooo good. Although its cost me a fortune .

Take care my man, and hope that your head is recovering well from the HT onslaught.....

Phil