I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Set back

User
Posted 17 Oct 2018 at 20:55

Had pre op last Tuesday for Template Biopsy.  Received  email from nurse late on Friday12th Oct saying they had tried to  contact me on my home number but got no response.  (I was staying in Surrey with my daughter for more easy journey to UCLH on 16th Oct for the Biopsy). Unfortunately,  it was found that my oxygenation saturation level was low and required further investigation.  They have reported this to my GP and I expect the cause of this will be investigated.  It was not clear whether the Biopsy would go ahead in the circumstances.  I emailed the nurse on Friday and left a message on her mobile but received no reply.  I eventually got through to the coordinator after numerous attempts and she told me she had emailed and tried to contact the consultant to see whether the Biopsy would be done regardless, even if I agreed to an Epidural instead  of general anesthesia.  I was still trying to get an answer to this at 10.10am before boarding a train for London when I was due to be admitted just over 2 hours later!  The coordinator  said she still had not got an answer from Consultant's and thought it unlikely the Biopsy would proceed, so suggested I didn't present.  You would think that somebody would know whether a patient was going to be admitted and operated on so soon afterwards but that's  UCLH!

My GP was on leave so I could not discuss with him. So a further delay.  Hope I don't have a major problem and this is just a temporary set back.

Barry
User
Posted 17 Oct 2018 at 22:27
Take a few deep breaths and start again! In fact don't forget to do that before the test next time too!!

User
Posted 17 Oct 2018 at 23:32
Sorry Barry - so frustrating for you :-(
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 05:24
What a shame Barry, but this kind of bureaucratic bungling is typical of the behemoth that the NHS has become!

I say let Tesco or better still, Waitrose take over running the NHS.

You have been massively inconvenienced, which must be a worry at your age - even though you look great in your avatar 😉 - but what about the vacant theatre booking and highly-skilled surgeons and anaesthetists left kicking their heels for an hour or so as they didn’t have a patient?

You can be sure no one will get a bollocking for this incompetence, and the whole thing just goes rumbling on as usual.........

Hope you get tested soon.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 06:24
So sorry for you Barry. Reminds me of being sat crying in the PET scan waiting room in front of everybody after having travelled the day before and then told 1 hr before that it was cancelled. And on my wife’s 50th birthday.
User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 14:56

Sorry to hear that Barry. Hope you get things sorted so that you can go ahead with the biopsy soon.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 23 Oct 2018 at 23:47
Well I saw my GP yesterday and he fished a little stand alone clip incorporating a small screen from a drawer and placed it on each forefinger in turn. This must have taken less than 2 minutes. The reading was 98 in both cases. (Internet shows a healthy person should be between 94 and 99 and below 94 is cause for concern), so I have no problem with oxygen saturation levels! My GP asked me whether the low figure UCLH recorded at the pre op was taken using only one finger and thought that finding it low they would have tried another finger or reapplied it. He reckoned the clip had not been properly applied and gave a spurious result. So this led to my template biopsy being cancelled and a whole load of arrangements I had made being aborted. You would have thought that with all the hundreds of Doctors and Nurses at UCLH and bearing in mind I was to have been admitted to a ward, one of them could have put this portable little device on my finger to check if I arrived a little early as I suggested. But apparently the 'pathway coordinator' was unable to get a response from the Anaesthetist/Surgeon the day before or even on the day of the op! I was told that if I kept my rail tickets to London I will reimbursed for making another trip up from Devon but it's all the time and further arrangements this entails, yet alone having to defer planned dental work again and the delay will doubtless impact on when appropriate treatment. is eventually done. for my PCa.

I have to content myself with the thought that I don't have an oxygen saturation problem and that the less old car I was about to replace my 17 year old one with but which I had put on hold pending medical test, can now go ahead.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 00:16
how annoying :-(

Pathway coordinator!?@#£%*

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 08:15

That’s exceptionally frustrating but as you say oxygen levels are ok which is reassuring.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 18:02
So sorry Barry.

My Samsung smartphone has a built-in oxygen sensor, and my reading currently is 97% with a resting heart rate of 71 bpm.