Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Liver and Spleen Spread

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 15:38

Hi

My father was diagnosed with Prostate cancer that had moved outside the prostate in 2014

His PSA originally in the 300's was brought down to less than 2 thanks to a very careful diet (supervised by mum!) and it stayed that way until May this year when sadly it was on the move with bone spread detected

His last MRI showed several lesions in liver and spleen

He can't take abiterone because he has never been able to swallow large tablets (mum usually crushes them but that can't be done with that drug)

He's opted therefore to start Doxacetel chemo with first session due next Friday

At the moment, he's in relatively good health (came out to see me and my son last night (2 hour train journey) and went to a concert with us

Guess question really is how effective is chemo now (particularly that drug) for buying more time

I know every case is different but any experiences with liver spread vs chemo would be good to read

Thank you so much for any help

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 17:36
His PSA can't have fallen to 2 just due to diet - he presumably has been on hormone treatment as well? Do you know which one? Injections or small tablets?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 18:23

Hi

Thanks for reply

Sorry, yes of course, he was on the injections for the Hormone treatment

Thanks

Mark

User
Posted 18 Oct 2018 at 19:12
Okay, so it sounds like he has become hormone independent, also known as castrate resistant which means his prostate cancer has learned to survive without testosterone. As you say, castrate resistant men are usually given enzalutimide or abiraterone alongside their hormone injection and if that is not possible then options are quite limited. Chemo cannot cure prostate cancer but it does make abi and enzo more effective - it is hard to say what effect it will have on its own.

You could ask about enzalutimide because I think it is given as a number of small tablets rather than one big one. Radium 223 might also be a possibility as it is an injection - successful on bone mets but I am not sure that it does anything to soft organ spread.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard