I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How long is too long?

User
Posted 23 Oct 2018 at 00:14

I went to my GP with early symptoms in March. 

My. PSA was only slightly elevated and because I am young no family history and other tests were normal I didn't get a referral until June.

My cancer was confirmed in August (3+4) and it was suggested that an op would be the best course of action .

I am still awaiting a date to be confirmed but have a provisional date of 5th December. That is 8 months since symptoms and 15 weeks since diagnosis. I have chatted to the hospital who tell me there is no way of getting a sooner date. 

I want the best outcome rather than speed but I can't help wanting to get on with it. What are others experience of wait times.  

User
Posted 23 Oct 2018 at 10:56
It is only six weeks away now - use the time to get fit, go on a holiday (if possible), have loads of sex (if possible) and generally do normal things. The time will pass quicker than you can imagine.

We were advised by the urologist to go on a holiday and do ‘normal’ things before the op but my husband was in a hurry. We have regretted that since, as life is never really the same again after RP.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Oct 2018 at 20:57

Thanks for the post 

Have a phone call with my nurse on Monday.

Best of luck with your op.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Oct 2018 at 10:56
It is only six weeks away now - use the time to get fit, go on a holiday (if possible), have loads of sex (if possible) and generally do normal things. The time will pass quicker than you can imagine.

We were advised by the urologist to go on a holiday and do ‘normal’ things before the op but my husband was in a hurry. We have regretted that since, as life is never really the same again after RP.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Oct 2018 at 21:06

Hy Andrew

I have recently posted on here,I was told 4 to 6 weeks,but then it got to nearer 8/9 weeks,and whilst,I know to a lot I was being a bit irrational,but mentally I was struggling,my mind working overtime,during the night especially,I was also having panic attacks,last Monday I rang my cancer nurse and was told,that,I could have my operation at another hospital,about an hour away sooner,but I dismissed the idea,my wife doesn't drive,and at the time,it didn't seem practical,however after another sleepless week,I rang back,to ask for more details,I decided that I would change hospitals,turns out i will still have the same consultant,thev'e rung me today have got pre-op 6th of Nov,and operation on the 10th,and can have after care at my present hospital,wish I'd have done it last week now

regards david

User
Posted 26 Oct 2018 at 20:57

Thanks for the post 

Have a phone call with my nurse on Monday.

Best of luck with your op.