I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Is Rabbit Red Meat

User
Posted 27 Oct 2018 at 14:30

For those of you fellow Pca sufferers or survivors who have chosen to avoid red meat, do you eat Rabbit? Googling throws up varying opinions as to whether it is technecally red or white and some actually say it could help prevent Pca, although I think that is just because it is low in saturated fat.

Also, I know the whole diet debate is contraversial but what about the dark meat on Turkey and Chicken?

Personally I have gone down the Pca diet route, no dairy, red meat, eggs, poultry skin, little saturated fat and prossessed foods etc... Just looking for options for variaty.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 08:00
You are interpreting quite different to most - for those who do bother with dietary changes, tinned tomatoes are one of the things we are told to get loads of and I have never avoided eggs in John’s diet. Rather than cobbling together a regime based on lots of different things, have you read material like the Plant diet or the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation cookbook which was based on their own research?

If we listened to all the small bits of research we would all starve.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 16:59
I know I have bleated on about this before but there are a few points about meat consumption that folks need to remember:

Meat in the USA is largely corn fed

Meat in the UK is mostly grass fed

This is a very important distinction and has important effects on the nutritional composition of farmed meat.

This video gives a balanced view focussed on PC I believe

https://youtu.be/ayjYnZy5OVM

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 18:38
Can't see anything wrong in eating rabbit. It's a bit darker and has a stronger flavour than chicken. During WW2 we were grateful that my father had an arrangement with a farmer to provide a wild rabbit on occasion to supplement our meager rations and we continued to eat rabbit until chicken became cheap anddavailable and Myxomatosis decimated the rabbit population. My mother lived to 101 and my father prematurely at 98 due to poor treatment after a fall. So rabbit didn't do them harm!
Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 00:59
Rabbit is white meat as is chicken, regardless of whether it comes from the thigh or breast.

Not sure which PCa diet you are following, many of us wouldn’t avoid eggs or chicken skin.

My understanding of the thinking about red meat is more about the growth hormones in muscle meat than about saturated fat.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 03:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

My understanding of the thinking about red meat is more about the growth hormones in muscle meat than about saturated fat.

Growth hormones in meat production have been illegal within the EU since 1981. Which is why those tender, tasty, hormone-packed USDA Prime New York Strip steaks you get in America are not available here!

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 05:32
I am totally unconvinced about the whole diet thing and Pca.

I just eat what I fancy but I must say I would never eat rabbit even if you paid me.

I might be rather partial to a side of badger or stoat roadkill though 😀👍

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 06:26

Growth hormones in meat production have been illegal within the EU since 1981. Which is why those tender, tasty, hormone-packed USDA Prime New York Strip steaks you get in America are not available here!

not artificial growth hormones, naturally occurring ones. Hence steak and dairy being a no no but liver and kidneys being okay. 

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 07:01
Lyn, its not any particular diet, just the bits I have picked up from research.

Im interested in what you say about kidneys and liver, that could provide some variety.

There have been studies that show a relationship between eggs and increased risk, possibly due to the very high Choline content. Not conclusive but enough indication for me to avoid them. I think I read this in a Harvard or ncbi study. Also Prostate.net discuss it.

Red meat I believe is not just about saturated fat, I was a bit brief above. All meat especially red meat and even more so poultry skin when cooked produce Heterocyclic Amines (HCAs) which are linked with cancer, especially when cooked quickly at high temperature. It also contains the growth hormones, Insulin - like growth factor (IGF 1)

Another I didn't mention is tinned tomatoes due to the BPAs produced by the plastic lining in the tin being easily absorbed by the acidity of the tomatoes.

Most of this is controversial but for me there is enough indication if not evidence to avoid these foods. I think why take the risk and my Veggie, Fish and White Meat diet is a healthy one any way.

Having said that I do have the very occasional treat and after two years I do miss a lot of the stuff I cut out.

If I remain recurrence free, at some point I may relax it a little.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 08:00
You are interpreting quite different to most - for those who do bother with dietary changes, tinned tomatoes are one of the things we are told to get loads of and I have never avoided eggs in John’s diet. Rather than cobbling together a regime based on lots of different things, have you read material like the Plant diet or the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation cookbook which was based on their own research?

If we listened to all the small bits of research we would all starve.

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 08:34
I thought the stuff I've mentioned was pretty much the normal (but contraversial) stuff that some Pca sufferers avoid.

All cooked tomatoes are good for their high Licopene content. All tinned food with BPA in the plastic lining is bad, especially tomatoes because of their acidity. We by the puree in glass jars.

I agree if we believe everything we read we would starve, but some of what I said has strong evidence and some just indications. The trouble is this bloody desease has got into my mind as well as my body.

I think I have read the publications you mention but will have another look thanks.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 16:59
I know I have bleated on about this before but there are a few points about meat consumption that folks need to remember:

Meat in the USA is largely corn fed

Meat in the UK is mostly grass fed

This is a very important distinction and has important effects on the nutritional composition of farmed meat.

This video gives a balanced view focussed on PC I believe

https://youtu.be/ayjYnZy5OVM

User
Posted 28 Oct 2018 at 18:38
Can't see anything wrong in eating rabbit. It's a bit darker and has a stronger flavour than chicken. During WW2 we were grateful that my father had an arrangement with a farmer to provide a wild rabbit on occasion to supplement our meager rations and we continued to eat rabbit until chicken became cheap anddavailable and Myxomatosis decimated the rabbit population. My mother lived to 101 and my father prematurely at 98 due to poor treatment after a fall. So rabbit didn't do them harm!
Barry
User
Posted 29 Oct 2018 at 09:04

Morning Bill,

One of the most relevant sentences you have posted was that this disease gets into your mind as well as your body. Therefore, doing something for yourself, which in your case is searching for evidence regarding the positive/negative effect of diet. It's obvious from your commnets that you've already researched the ones which have, at least, some apparently strong evidence. This proactive approach gives some people a great deal of positivity and indeed, hope. I'm one of them, and have made quite a few changes to my diet and lifestyle which I really don't find at all burdensome. And yes, I feel better both physically and mentally. Knowing that I've tried no matter what the eventual outcome, is something that I as an individual, is something that I'm content with. Good luck with whatever changes you decide to make mate.

Paul.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2018 at 10:08
We're all free to follow diets of our own choosing of course, but are the 'healthy prostate' diets relevant for a man following prostatectomy? How can they promote the health (or absence of disease) in an absent organ?
User
Posted 29 Oct 2018 at 10:26
Bestie

Thanks very well said.

SumDumBloke

There is risk of reccurrence after RP even if PSA is undetectable for a few years. This obviously means that in those circumstances some Pca cells have remained, either in the prostate bed or further away. They're the buggers (if there are any) that could be slowed or maybe stopped from developing. Atleast thats what I think.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 29 Oct 2018 at 18:19

Good evening,

A lot of the dietry/lifestyle studies and advice have actually been conducted with preventing or delaying recurrence in mind.

Paul.