Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Chemotherapy & Crohn’s

User
Posted 29 Oct 2018 at 19:16

Hi 

I’m Recently diagnosed I am on hormone therapy prostrap I have been offered chemotherapy but a problem I have Crohn’s disease long standing and in remission

I am worried about side effects anyone 

had any experience of this?

Rob (new to the site please excuse mistakes)

User
Posted 31 Oct 2018 at 15:58
i can't help with your query Thebear.

You could try contacting one of the nurses on this site. They may be able to help you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 13:55
It is rare to offer enzo straight after abbi, except where the treatment is working but the side effects are problematic. If you were my dad or brother, I would say grab the enzo while it is an option - chemo can be kept back for when the enzo fails.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jul 2019 at 15:34

Stay strong Rob. I’m due for chemo No 15 on Monday and other than minor side effects, (diarrhoea and sickness), I’m coping ok. And as you know I’m going up Pen y Fan on a mobility scooter on Saturday!!  I’d check with your consultant re Crohns plus PCa. as they’ve bound to have come across it whilst treating other patients with PCa and take it from there. 

Take care, 

Keep the Faith  

J  

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 14:53
Obviously I haven’t had Crohns, Or Collitis but I may have a touch of IBS, and I’ve managed 17 chemo infusions without too many problems. However I’ve stopped chemo for now as I’m hoping to get on the Lutetium 177 bus soon. Just waiting till end of the week for the Professor in Bristol to review my scans and bloods to see if I’m suitable.

Good luck with your treatment plan, and I hope someone with more specific info responds soon.

Keep the Faith

J.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2020 at 10:06

Take care of yourself. It’s such a worry all this, isn’t it?

User
Posted 05 Aug 2020 at 11:14
Take heart; chemo doesn't necessarily make the PSA fall. This doesn't mean that the chemo hasn't worked - it fatally damages the DNA of the cells so they can't replicate so easily.

Think of the PSA as the cancer cells screaming as they die.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Oct 2018 at 15:58
i can't help with your query Thebear.

You could try contacting one of the nurses on this site. They may be able to help you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 12:34

Hi I’ve been on prostrap and Abiraterone for 7 months since diagnosis my had chemotherapy yet due to Crohn’s disease PSA steadily rising now up to 17.6 it’s been suggested I try Enzalutamide or go for chemotherapy instead but risky with crohns I’m reasonably fit and feel well at present. Oh well choices we have to make.

Thank you

the bear 

User
Posted 16 Jul 2019 at 13:55
It is rare to offer enzo straight after abbi, except where the treatment is working but the side effects are problematic. If you were my dad or brother, I would say grab the enzo while it is an option - chemo can be kept back for when the enzo fails.

User
Posted 17 Jul 2019 at 14:49

Anyone had experience of proton beam therapy I have Crohn’s disease and metastatic prostate cancer 

thank you

thebear

User
Posted 17 Jul 2019 at 15:34

Stay strong Rob. I’m due for chemo No 15 on Monday and other than minor side effects, (diarrhoea and sickness), I’m coping ok. And as you know I’m going up Pen y Fan on a mobility scooter on Saturday!!  I’d check with your consultant re Crohns plus PCa. as they’ve bound to have come across it whilst treating other patients with PCa and take it from there. 

Take care, 

Keep the Faith  

J  

User
Posted 17 Jul 2019 at 17:07

Good luck with the climb up Pen Y Fan I hope the weather holds for you lovely views from up there gets very chilly up there mind

Best Wishes

R

User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 21:31

Following telephone appointment today with oncology 16/9/19 carry on with Abiraterone for another month. I’m having a CT scan next week another appointment in a month then to decide a way forward possible Enzolutamide more likely chemotherapy. Over the last 8 months I’ve been taking prednisolone alongside the Abiraterone strangely the Crohns has not been a problem long may it continue, Has anyone with IBS or Colitis etc been through the chemotherapy I’ve not come across anyone yet?

Thank you

thebear

User
Posted 17 Sep 2019 at 14:53
Obviously I haven’t had Crohns, Or Collitis but I may have a touch of IBS, and I’ve managed 17 chemo infusions without too many problems. However I’ve stopped chemo for now as I’m hoping to get on the Lutetium 177 bus soon. Just waiting till end of the week for the Professor in Bristol to review my scans and bloods to see if I’m suitable.

Good luck with your treatment plan, and I hope someone with more specific info responds soon.

Keep the Faith

J.

User
Posted 19 Jun 2020 at 20:11

Hi I have long standing chrohn’s disease am on hormone treatment SoC and had a year on Aberaterone unfortunately failed to control the psa so I’ve been on chemo since January and just had my 8th infusion of Dosetaxyl it’s been a bit of a journey with ups and downs including a 5 night stay in hospital as I’d picked up an infection the psa is 59 with 2 infusions left to go, what comes next my oncologist will tell me I hope. 
Best wishes to you all

keep the faith

Stay safe

R

User
Posted 04 Aug 2020 at 20:37

Hi Well I’ve finished 10 cycles of chemotherapy worryingly my PSA has still been steadily rising to a new high of 175. What comes next just standard of care Prostrap and monitoring the last CT scan and bone scan seem to be ok so I have to go with that for now.

Best wishes

keep the faith

R

User
Posted 05 Aug 2020 at 10:06

Take care of yourself. It’s such a worry all this, isn’t it?

User
Posted 05 Aug 2020 at 11:14
Take heart; chemo doesn't necessarily make the PSA fall. This doesn't mean that the chemo hasn't worked - it fatally damages the DNA of the cells so they can't replicate so easily.

Think of the PSA as the cancer cells screaming as they die.