Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First hospital appointment today

User
Posted 31 Oct 2018 at 17:41

Hi,

Sorry to keep posting but as my husband is my absolute rock and has helped me through everything, I'm finding it very difficult to not be able to talk to him about fears although we do talk about it. He is so positive so don't want to undermine that.

We had our first hospital today. After DRE doctor said one side is hard so along with PSA has basically confirmed it is PC.

He had anither blood test and MRI on pelvis. Need to wait for biopsy and bone scan appointments.

How does anyone do this? I'm not being a support to him and he's worrying about me too which I don't want 

Do you think 10 year's would be possible with spread? 

Thanks 

User
Posted 31 Oct 2018 at 20:21

Hello Gemma,

i understand how difficult this must be and you are at the beginning of a journey. But don’t second guess the results. You can’t even begin to worry about time span yet. None of us know how long we have , for all sorts of reasons.

i see you are 35 , I suspect hubby is older as 35 is very young for Prostate cancer.

The experts will be along shortly but please know you are among friends here who understand your anguish.

this is a difficult time before full diagnosis but it will get easier , although that is hard to believe at this time.

Keep trying to maintain a dialogue with hubby , it is so important, believe me .

good luck with the rest of your results.

Phil

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 01:13
Hi Gemma,

I think you really need to chill, however difficult that might be. My cancer was discovered to be stage 3 after my prostatectomy. The Nomogram computer prognostication says I have a 98% chance of surviving for fifteen years, and Britain’s top prostate cancer oncologist who I had a consultation with yesterday told me I wouldn’t die of the disease!

Best of all, my PSA is undetectable as of Monday, which means I am cured. If there is recurrence, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Talk of ‘ten years’ is pure panic stations when you don’t know the full picture, so calm down dear, and come back here when you have the results of his biopsy. My friend is 87 and his PSA was 300 four years ago, and he is doing perfectly well on hormone implants.

Hope it all turns out for the best.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 01:39
Yes, 10 years might be possible even if there is spread to the bones but unlikely if there is spread to soft organs.

How old is he? We have a member who was diagnosed with extensive mets in his 30s and is still here 15 or so years later although that is quite rare for a young man.

PSA is indicative but not foolproof so although it is more than likely that your OH has prostate cancer, you can't predict from the numbers how bad or okay it might be. My husband had a PSA of 3.1 and spread to his bladder; Si-ness had a PSA of about 3.6 and extensive mets throughout his skeleton; we have had short visits from men whose PSA was 70, 80 who were given the all clear and as you have heard, there are cases of a score over 100 and no apparent spread at all.

If you are feeling panicky, call the nurses on the number at the top of the page - they will talk you through the fear and help you to make some sense of it all.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 09:05

Short answer no managed blood pressure and high collesterol will not prevent any trestment.

My high blood pressure was diagnosed by the anethetist while I was having my prostate removed!

Edited by member 01 Nov 2018 at 09:06  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 31 Oct 2018 at 20:21

Hello Gemma,

i understand how difficult this must be and you are at the beginning of a journey. But don’t second guess the results. You can’t even begin to worry about time span yet. None of us know how long we have , for all sorts of reasons.

i see you are 35 , I suspect hubby is older as 35 is very young for Prostate cancer.

The experts will be along shortly but please know you are among friends here who understand your anguish.

this is a difficult time before full diagnosis but it will get easier , although that is hard to believe at this time.

Keep trying to maintain a dialogue with hubby , it is so important, believe me .

good luck with the rest of your results.

Phil

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 01:13
Hi Gemma,

I think you really need to chill, however difficult that might be. My cancer was discovered to be stage 3 after my prostatectomy. The Nomogram computer prognostication says I have a 98% chance of surviving for fifteen years, and Britain’s top prostate cancer oncologist who I had a consultation with yesterday told me I wouldn’t die of the disease!

Best of all, my PSA is undetectable as of Monday, which means I am cured. If there is recurrence, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Talk of ‘ten years’ is pure panic stations when you don’t know the full picture, so calm down dear, and come back here when you have the results of his biopsy. My friend is 87 and his PSA was 300 four years ago, and he is doing perfectly well on hormone implants.

Hope it all turns out for the best.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 01:39
Yes, 10 years might be possible even if there is spread to the bones but unlikely if there is spread to soft organs.

How old is he? We have a member who was diagnosed with extensive mets in his 30s and is still here 15 or so years later although that is quite rare for a young man.

PSA is indicative but not foolproof so although it is more than likely that your OH has prostate cancer, you can't predict from the numbers how bad or okay it might be. My husband had a PSA of 3.1 and spread to his bladder; Si-ness had a PSA of about 3.6 and extensive mets throughout his skeleton; we have had short visits from men whose PSA was 70, 80 who were given the all clear and as you have heard, there are cases of a score over 100 and no apparent spread at all.

If you are feeling panicky, call the nurses on the number at the top of the page - they will talk you through the fear and help you to make some sense of it all.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 08:23
Thanks for your replies.

One more thing that is bothering me was the doctors reaction yesterday to meds. My husband has high blood pressure and cholesterol.

Does that mean he can't have hormone therapy and or chemo?

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 09:05

Short answer no managed blood pressure and high collesterol will not prevent any trestment.

My high blood pressure was diagnosed by the anethetist while I was having my prostate removed!

Edited by member 01 Nov 2018 at 09:06  | Reason: Not specified