Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Test exams

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 14:30

Hi, 

I am only 42 and there is no previous cancer in my family so I am hopeful that i do nit have Prostate cancer but just an enlarge Prostate. I was going to order some of the A.Vogel herbal pills but they advise you are seen by GP to check of cancel first.

I do have a sudden urgency to wee, get up 2 times in the night, and need to go every few hours. 

I am very afraid of going to GP as have a real fear of a rectal exam i had one when i was kid and think this is where the fear comes from.

I am right the first set is a blood test before a rectal exam? 

Please help

Thanks

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 16:49
Techyboy, at your age PCa is unlikely. It is also unlikely that your GP would advise a PSA test. Your GP may or may not be prepared to do a DRE. I never had one that did. It was left to the hospital doctors, but it was pretty obvious from my PSA test at age 64 that I had something requiring further investigation. A DRE would be a good idea. Herbal pills would be a stupid idea.

You must see your GP and have faith in him or her and overcome childish fears. Your health is too important to allow irrational feelings to predominate.

AC
User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 16:49
Hi Techy, definitely request a PSA blood test from your GP, and dependent on the result request a referral to your local urology department.

Your GP may be able to prescribe a drug to help with your waterworks, such as Tamulosin, but you really need to get yourself checked out. The DRE is nothing, and on a scale of one to ten of discomfort - I wouldn’t even describe it as pain - maybe level 2.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.
User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 17:08
A finger up the bum is usually smaller than a decent poo; if there is room for a poo to get out there must be room for a fingertip slip in. Hopefully, that thought will reassure you a bit?

Ideally, the blood test should be done before the DRE. It probably is benign enlargement or a problem with the sphincter but don’t kid yourself that you are too young for prostate cancer; we have members here in their 40s and a couple in their 30s.

Make that GP appointment and get it over and done with. Regardless of anything else, it isn’t good for you to have such broken sleep. My husband had tamsulosin or similar from the age of 35 due to a bladder muscle problem and he would have been permanently exhausted without medication.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard