I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

IMRT/Brachytherapy?

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 21:46

Following a meeting with the Oncologist, we have been given information on the Pivotal boost trial which includes IMRT and Brachytherapy. With my limited knowledge and from what I've researched I  already had these on the list of questions to ask about but it would be helpful for anyone's opinions or experiences of this.

Thanks

Lou

User
Posted 01 Nov 2018 at 22:39
Well that seems like fantastic news - it isn't as advanced as you feared and brachy / RT are curative treatments.

Brachy would have been my husband's first choice but he wasn't suitable. Johsan will be along any time soon and can tell you about her husband's experience.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 07:30

Thank you. Yes the Oncologist said there was about a 70% chance of it being successful so here's hoping!

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 10:45

Hi lou08,

I am one that took the Brachytherapy route in September 2016 with PSA 2.19 and Gleason 3+4=7  at 70 years old,and if you click my avatar you will see my journey so far.I was offered robotic removal as another option but after reading up on it on here (both Lyn & Johsan where a great help with encouragement and support).Both surgeons believed their procedure was the best option so make sure you do look at all the options and possible side affects that you may or may not get on all operations.

I am 2 years on with no real problems and my PSA down to 0.39 and blood test stretched out to six months,If i can be of any more help with questions please just ask.

Good Luck John.

User
Posted 02 Nov 2018 at 11:21

Thanks John, it's so encouraging to hear of people with success stories. I know we've got a long way to go but I'm feeling much more positive.

Glad it sees to have worked out for you.

Cheers 

Lou

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 14:10

Hi Lou - Glad you had a good meeting with your oncologist and can start concentrating on a successful treatment route. Are you offered a choice of Pivotal IMRT or Brachy or is it combined IMRT & Brachy ? - and is that with Hormone treatment prior ? What is your husbands age and fitness like ? As you know from my previous posts I had PSA 33 and gleason 7 and chose hormone therapy and IMRT and although I did get some short term side effects during treatment my experience has been nothing but positive compared to early expectations. I am now totally back to normal and last week, 10 months after treatment finished and with a steady PSA I was told they dont want to see me for a year. So stay positive and learn as much as you can about your treatment and the possible short and long term side effects - everyones different - some have short term side effects and some long term effects but others like myself have virtually nothing lasting. Good luck !

Tony

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 14:47

Hi Tony,

With it being a trial there are four groups, the first being IMRT to the prostate only, the second is IMRT to the prostate and pelvic lymph nodes, third is IMRT and Brachytherapy to prostate and fourth is both to prostate and pelvic lymph nodes. It's completely random so just hoping we get the last option really. My hubby is 63 and is quite fit and healthy ( until now!) and yes he will also be having hormone therapy.

Great news that the treatment has been so successful for you and with no lasting side effects.  

Thanks

Lou