Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Holiday after radiotherapy

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 09:14

Hi;

my husband has completed 31 out of 37 sessions if radiotherapy for T3 N0 m0 Gleason 7 (3+4) psa 16 prostate cancer in the anterior lobe ( it took a long time to find) they thought it was T2c  after scans but it’s just at the top edge so are treating him as T3.

he is tolerating the radiotherapy well and will be glad not to have to do the 3 hour round trip soon. Staff have been great.

he finishes 12th November and wants to go on holiday in March 2019 and I am wondering if this would him Enough time to recover.

hormone therapy was stopped just as he started  radiotherapy ( he had been on prostap/casodex for a year and psa was undetectable prior to radiotherapy) 

no long haul holiday maybe just the Canary Islands. 

Many thanks for reading

jenny

Edited by member 03 Nov 2018 at 10:04  | Reason: Spelling!

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 11:33
I was told RT symptoms peak at about 2 weeks after RT. So I would have thought a month after RT would be fine

Bri

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 20:09
I finished salvage radiotherapy 25/4/17 and went to Calgary 6/7/17 no problems.Got insurance with worldfirst covering everything.

All the best.

Ido4

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 13:20
Good heavens - I would be looking for a December holiday, life should be back to normal long before next March. The only thing to be careful of is sunbathing - if going topless he will need good sunscreen as the zapped area around his midriff will be more inclined to burn.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 13:31

Many thanks Lyn!

:D

Jenny

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 14:22

Hi Jenny,

I was very tired after the radio but it soon got better, say a couple of months.  My problem was that I was still on Prostap and the combo of both was very tiring caused by getting up in the night a lot.  Now on a hormone holiday after 2 years and it took a good 6 months for the side effects to calm down.  I have not gone abroad since treatment started mainly because of the hot flushes.  This summer was really hot and was like being abroad and my tolerance to the heat was extremely poor.  It sounds like he is tolerating the hormones quite well and his last injection was around 2 months ago?  By March I'm sure he'll be okay. Enjoy  

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 14:39

Thanks Mr Angry

He was on prostap for a year but it didn't bring his psa down as low as they would have liked so they added casodex for a 3 months prior to radiotherapy and his psa was undetectable before he started radiotherapy. His Oncologist Consultant stopped the prostap and casodex the day before he started 37 sessions of radiotherapy. He tolerated the prostap well but like you had some big flushes (mostly at night). He is still getting the flushes as its still in his system.
We are slightly nervous that the hormone therapy has stopped but our Oncology consultant said his psa was under 20 and his Gleason was 3+4 and he had been HT for a year so he was in that grey middle ground area.
6 radio sessions to go then it will be the "pre psa anxiety" for the next few years at least.

My Husband is 63 and had bowel cancer 13 years ago - he got the all clear and cured of bowel cancer at 10 years and unfortunately we only had a short breather before prostate cancer was diagnosed. Life is a very peculiar rollercoaster that is for sure.

Jenny

Edited by member 03 Nov 2018 at 14:48  | Reason: addition

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 14:54

Yes, we do seem to spend a lot of time waiting on these treatment regimes.  Hopefully then, the radio has done its job.  Most of us become addicted to PSA numbers....... 

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 15:00
Indeed!

We are learning to live life to the full in between each PSA Test!

All the best

Jenny

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 17:41

Hi Very Jenny,

I agree with lynn, my husband finished TH 37 sessions in February and we went on holiday in May, a much needed break.  We chose to go on a short flight and went to Puerto Pollensa in Majorca. The weather then was ideal, bright,sunny and just the right temperature.  We really enjoyed our holiday, although he was a bit unwell for a few days, I think I panicked a little as I have done every time he has shown any signs of illness ever since he was diagnosed!  We didn't do all the things we planned, preferring to just relax and unwind, but when we got home and reflected we felt we had had a very good holiday!

To make up for the four lost days when he didn't want to go out, we had a short break in Rutland a few weeks later so I got two holidays!

My advice is that a good holiday after the radiotherapy is important for both of you, I kind of feel the whole process is exhausting for both of you, and you need to get away from the situation, and may be reconnect with each other without the pressure of daily trips to hospital and waiting to learn results.

Hormone treatment is on going to my husband, probably for 3 years in total, and while the effects of that are more problematic than the radiotherapy, he does seem to be coping much better now, so we are dating to begin to feel hopeful for the future.

Have a good holiday!

Mike's Mum

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 19:41

A holiday will do you good in many ways. My oh had 33 sessions at the start of the pc journey and was tired for a few weeks afterwards with some breathlessness on exertion such as hills but it soon calmed down and we walked as much as we could  to get him back to fitness, also some rowing on a machine.

The thing to do is rest when you need to, sleep when you need to and get back to a new normal. The psa anxiety is something you learn to accept over time. Just enjoy every moment together.

User
Posted 03 Nov 2018 at 20:38

Thank you so much for replying mikesmum and gillyj we really appreciate it and will follow all the advice that has been given!
It’s just reassuring to know there are people and their partners out there who are willing to help and support others xxx
Thank you 😊

Edited by member 03 Nov 2018 at 20:40  | Reason: Their not there!

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 22:58

Hi VeryJenny,

I flew to Calgary in Canada (almost 9 hours flying time) on July 6th having finished salvage radiotherapy April 27th. I got travel insurance without any major issues covering all my health issues. I was still on HT too.

My wife and I had a great time.

Book a holiday soon!

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 07:16

Thanks Ian

we have booked the holiday! 

We live in Dunblane and the drive to the Beatson Glasgow every day for 33 days (today) with 4 to go has been quite tiring although my husband hasn’t complained once.  So we have a holiday to look forward to now!

seeing oncologist middle of January so fingers crossed The scores on the doors will be ok!

thanks for replying

jenny

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 08:45

Great, enjoy the hol.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 16:16

Jenny

I went to India and Nepal two weeks after my radiotherapy had finished.  Went with loads of pads and pull up adult nappies.  They were mainly for security.  I had no major issues.  My doctor was fine with me going.

In October, 3 months post radiotherapy, i did have symptoms of radiation proctitus/pelvic radiation disease.  Basically lost all bowel control.  

The moral of the story is that some things are pot luck.  I love travelling (going to Antarctica this weekend) and I keep my travel insurance company up to date with any issues I have, take my pads and my meds and keep going.  I'm not wreckless, but I'm determined not to let PCa take seeing the world away from me.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 16:20
Thanks Ulsterman

Wow - India and Nepal - how fabulous and I hope you have the most amazing time in Antarctica!!!

Safe travels

Jenny

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 11:28

Some great advice as usual on this thread. My Onco is scheduling Radiotherapy for the whole of April 2019,  my wife is planning to retire from work at the end of June so I'm planning a special holiday for her following retirement

The gist of the comments here are it is sensible to take a 2 month break after Radiotherapy to regain strength and get yourself ship shape so realistically the earliest i should be looking to book anything is July or maybe August?

John

Edited by member 14 Dec 2018 at 11:30  | Reason: new

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 11:33
I was told RT symptoms peak at about 2 weeks after RT. So I would have thought a month after RT would be fine

Bri

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 17:37
Very apt that this post should come back up now as me and my other half have just decided that we are going to cancel our planned holiday in April as there is a chance that that is when I will be having my RT.

We were thinking about trying to postpone the treatment but decided rather than worry about whether I could change it or would I feel fit enough to bite the bullet and put it off.

Off to the pub in a bit to discuss when and where we are going to go instead, after reading this thread looks like June would be good. Also coincides with OH’s birthday

Bob

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 20:09
I finished salvage radiotherapy 25/4/17 and went to Calgary 6/7/17 no problems.Got insurance with worldfirst covering everything.

All the best.

Ido4

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 21:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Some great advice as usual on this thread. My Onco is scheduling Radiotherapy for the whole of April 2019,  my wife is planning to retire from work at the end of June so I'm planning a special holiday for her following retirement

The gist of the comments here are it is sensible to take a 2 month break after Radiotherapy to regain strength and get yourself ship shape so realistically the earliest i should be looking to book anything is July or maybe August?

John

One of the main issue is skincare- your midriff may already be a bit sunburnt so if you are planning on going somewhere hot, factor in that you will need to use high SPF and will probably not be laid shirtless by the pool for hours. John is very dark skinned so the RT didn't cause him any real soreness but 5 years on he still needs to wear factor 50 round his belly and hips. Blond and pale skinned men can actually find their skin burns towards the end of RT. 

Edited by member 14 Dec 2018 at 21:55  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 21:55

Finished RT april 2014, flew to south carolina may 2014 for a holiday, ran 100 kilonetre ultramarathon in june 2014, go for it 😁

T4n1m1a still running ultramarathons, got back from Cambodia having run 220 kilometres last week,  4 years after diagnosis then chemo, RT, if you want to do it and feel ok  why wait?

kev 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 22:03

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
In October, 3 months post radiotherapy, i did have symptoms of radiation proctitus/pelvic radiation disease.  Basically lost all bowel control. 

How long did your problems last for, Ulsterman?

Chris