June 2020 was my last post on this saga...I've had quite an eventful year as I'm sure have many of you also. Please read my Latest News for detail since June 2020. In summary:-
My PSA continued creeping up to 18.9 (7.4 in early 2018)
I was referred for Template Biopsies in Nov '20, deferred until March 2021 because I needed a pacemaker.
Finally had the results 2 days ago (5/5/21). My surgeon reported that a small amount of cancer has been found in 6 out of the 69 samples taken, 5 of which were Gleason 3 + 3, but one, unfortunately, was Gleason 4 + 4 which means they have to recommend treating it and I am being recommended either radiation or robotic prostatectomy. I expressed a preference for the latter but asked for a consultation with an oncologist before making my final decision. A bone scan has been ordered to check for leakage.
Although I haven't dismissed it entirely, I seem to have more issues with the idea of Radiation treatment:-
- First, you don't actually get rid of the very organ that is generating the cancer cells
- You seem to have to wait a long time before you get a result, i.e. significant reduction in PSA score
- If it doesn't work you can't have surgery
- There seems to be a lot of similar side effects to surgery, but with the added risks of radiation burn injury to organs, to various degrees, possibly long term
- Apparently, hormone therapy may also be needed with attendant side effects to add to the list.
I am very interested to hear other's experience/views of the Radiation option
Thanks for any help.