Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Absent Friends continue

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 06:37

Hello Friends,

yesterday at our “All Souls” Service, held annually in one of our local Churches, 2 candles were lit in memory of our ABSENT FRIENDS now in that great Party in the Sky.

WE WILL,AND DO, REMEMBER THEM.

Chris.

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 06:37

Hello Friends,

yesterday at our “All Souls” Service, held annually in one of our local Churches, 2 candles were lit in memory of our ABSENT FRIENDS now in that great Party in the Sky.

WE WILL,AND DO, REMEMBER THEM.

Chris.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 08:51
I’m sorry but I’ve decided to stop doing these listings purely because of how I am now, 22 Mets to spine, hips, Sternum and Ribs, the fact I don’t drive any more so can’t visit our lovely local Church who have been Gracious enough to allow me to remember all those we have known all these years.

RIP Friends, WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

User
Posted 11 Nov 2023 at 15:07

Dear Friends,

Shirley has asked me to post on her behalf:

"I haven't managed to keep in touch with many people, but I'd like say a huge thank you to all our good, dear, friends for giving us such wonderful support over so many years.

Chris's Memorial Service at Lidlington Chapel on 28th October was a joyful occasion, which was what we both wanted.
The church was packed with family and friends,.

To each and every one you I send my love and blessings.

Thank you

Shirley."

Edited by member 11 Nov 2023 at 15:10  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 18:25

I was so very sorry to hear about Si.

And I must thank Lynne, Janet, Chris and Shirley for letting me get to see Vanessa's Facebook message on Sunday night.

Although I don't post much these days,  I'd have been desperately sad if I'd missed paying tribute to a truly great man and dear friend to so many of us here.

Ness's post was heart-wrenching but wonderful, a testament to them both.

Our thoughts are with Ness, Charlie and Stevie. May they get through these difficult times ahead and find the peace which will surely follow. Si would want nothing less for his beloved family.

We've known Si and Ness for practically the whole 7rs since his diagnosis, and always found their company a delight.

I found Si's attitude to his illness inspirational, and we enjoyed so many long chats as we stood outside the doors of The Mill On The Soar and The Euston Flyer (both of us smoking like chimneys).

He was truly a man after my own heart. We were both so stubborn and defiant in the face of our battles, questioning everything, and so determined to win through.

He actually brought his oncologist Jamie along to speak at two of our summer functions. They were close friends by then, but fought like cat and dog at times (so typical and often funny).

I probably speak for many of us here when I say when I say it was a privilege to know Si and his lovely wife Vanessa.

Another sad day, another good man gone too soon, another good friend taken.

AU REVOIR SI. We'll all meet again soon, evry single one of us.

And there'll be such a wild party up there when we do!

Si's profile page here is at https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=profile&u=13316

PS. There are still quite a lot of us from the early years who are somehow still here, and speaking personally, each loss of a good friend is a a massive body blow. I'm sure you all feel the same.

God Bless you Vanessa, Charlie and Stevie

X

User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 12:15
Dear Friends,

Tomorrow is ALL SOULS DAY where we continue to pray for all our ABSENT FRIENDS from years gone by, there are too many to name, and we did not attend our Local Church this year to light candles in their Memories.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Now my update, PSA still on the rise, 12.55, Mets on Bone Scan were less on latest Scan, but hips, ribs and sternum still give me problems, it appears that the Enzalutamide is failing to do what it is supposed to do, still on Zoladex and Dexamethasone plus daily Ibandronic Acid Pill. Blood test every 4 weeks and Onco Nurse or Prof chat before next Med pick up.

Chris.

User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 22:35
We lit our own Church Candle at home this afternoon.

RIP To All our Absent Friends.

How long before I join them is another matter, but I will carry on going my ministry for as long as I’m able.

Chris.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 22:32
Thank you Lyn, you have been a great source of information over the years.

I feel now that I must look after My wife, and my own deteriorating health, but we will both continue to pray for all of you for as long as we are able. Over 14 years with this disease now, but the Mets are making themselves known, but pains are not in the same place each day, which I find puzzling.

Chris.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2020 at 13:09
It seems pretty clear to me that until there is a vaccine widely taken that will greatly reduce the effects of the C virus if not stop it in it's tracks, we will continue to have varying restrictions on parts of the country making it very difficult to make future plans. However, it would be nice to meet up when we can, like we did in some previous years and while there are still some who know each other from those times, whilst providing the opportunity for more recently joined members to meet.
Barry
User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 16:25

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Simon, Si, passed on yesterday at 12.37 with Vanessa at his side.

RIP Si, you will be sadly missed by Vanessa, Charlie and Stevie as well as all of us on here.

See Simon’s story and Si Ness on the forum. 

Chris.

PS, that just leaves George and I of the old group I think.

Edited by member 16 Sep 2019 at 17:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 17:47

Chris

John is still here, but hanging on by a very loose thread. 

Devonmaid 

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 21:42
Very sad loss of a great man and contributor to his forum. Condolences to his family. Agree with all that George (another stalwart) posted.
Barry
User
Posted 19 Sep 2019 at 08:26

We were both very sorry to hear the very sad news about Si and send our condolences to Nessie, Charlie and Stevie.

I enjoyed spending time with Si and Nessie at the Euston Flyer in London at the Christmas get togethers and at the weekends in Leicester.

I am sure Si will be remembered by those who knew him and were aware of his “persuasive” skills when planning his treatment with Jamie, his consultant. Si understood his body and considered and questioned the treatment options with determination to get the treatments which he considered were right for him and his family.

He will be missed and remembered for how he dealt with his prostate cancer.

Alan and Celia

Edited by member 19 Sep 2019 at 08:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Sep 2019 at 08:09
As you would have seen on Devonmaid post her beloved John passed on last night at 20.20.

RIP John, another of our friends sadly passed onto that great party in the sky, out of pain, but not out of our memories.

Chris.

User
Posted 16 Oct 2019 at 15:54
It is time for me to compile the list of names for this years All Souls Service, this year on November 3rd, if you want anyone added please contact me soon.

Chris.

User
Posted 27 Sep 2020 at 12:36

Hi Chris ,
 Sorry to hear about your Mets , 
Thinking about you and Yours 

Good Luck 
Barry

User
Posted 27 Sep 2020 at 15:59

Dear Chris

So sorry to read that life is not treating you so well at the moment. I hope that there can still be joy in your life.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 17:32
Chris our dear, dear friend. Rest In Peace now.

Words truly are not enough to express our sorrow.

We've had 18yrs of such a close friendship with Chris and Shirley and what a shining light in all our lives you and Chris have always been, our lovely Shirley.

I feel sure the love we ALL have for you will help you remain your usual, amazing, warm and strong self.

God Bless you both,

George, Lynn and Katrina

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 08:09

Hi Chris

Thank you for this simple act of remembrance that you unfailingly carry out each year. 

Kind regards

Kevan 

User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 16:25

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Simon, Si, passed on yesterday at 12.37 with Vanessa at his side.

RIP Si, you will be sadly missed by Vanessa, Charlie and Stevie as well as all of us on here.

See Simon’s story and Si Ness on the forum. 

Chris.

PS, that just leaves George and I of the old group I think.

Edited by member 16 Sep 2019 at 17:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 16:46
Thanks Chris, your annual memorial is greatly appreciated.

RIP Si

p.s. I'm still around!

Roger
User
Posted 16 Sep 2019 at 21:43

I am so sorry to read about Si, he was the one person who got me when I was first diagnosed, he was such an inspiration to me. I already miss the fact that he is not there if I have any questions. RIP Si, thinking of Ness and the girls.

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 13:14
RIP Si - I am so sorry to read this update. Sending to love to all of the family x
User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 14:18

I'm so sorry to hear that Si has left us. It was a privilege to know him, even though it was only for a short time.

RIP Si

Steve 

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 17:47

Chris

John is still here, but hanging on by a very loose thread. 

Devonmaid 

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 18:25

I was so very sorry to hear about Si.

And I must thank Lynne, Janet, Chris and Shirley for letting me get to see Vanessa's Facebook message on Sunday night.

Although I don't post much these days,  I'd have been desperately sad if I'd missed paying tribute to a truly great man and dear friend to so many of us here.

Ness's post was heart-wrenching but wonderful, a testament to them both.

Our thoughts are with Ness, Charlie and Stevie. May they get through these difficult times ahead and find the peace which will surely follow. Si would want nothing less for his beloved family.

We've known Si and Ness for practically the whole 7rs since his diagnosis, and always found their company a delight.

I found Si's attitude to his illness inspirational, and we enjoyed so many long chats as we stood outside the doors of The Mill On The Soar and The Euston Flyer (both of us smoking like chimneys).

He was truly a man after my own heart. We were both so stubborn and defiant in the face of our battles, questioning everything, and so determined to win through.

He actually brought his oncologist Jamie along to speak at two of our summer functions. They were close friends by then, but fought like cat and dog at times (so typical and often funny).

I probably speak for many of us here when I say when I say it was a privilege to know Si and his lovely wife Vanessa.

Another sad day, another good man gone too soon, another good friend taken.

AU REVOIR SI. We'll all meet again soon, evry single one of us.

And there'll be such a wild party up there when we do!

Si's profile page here is at https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/default.aspx?g=profile&u=13316

PS. There are still quite a lot of us from the early years who are somehow still here, and speaking personally, each loss of a good friend is a a massive body blow. I'm sure you all feel the same.

God Bless you Vanessa, Charlie and Stevie

X

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 18:29

So very sorry to hear of Si's death. I remember him from my time in the community. My heart goes out to Ness and their daughters. I will be thinking of you all tonight with love. RIP, Si. X

User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 20:09
Sorry to hear about Si’s passing. My thoughts are with the family.
User
Posted 18 Sep 2019 at 21:42
Very sad loss of a great man and contributor to his forum. Condolences to his family. Agree with all that George (another stalwart) posted.
Barry
User
Posted 19 Sep 2019 at 08:26

We were both very sorry to hear the very sad news about Si and send our condolences to Nessie, Charlie and Stevie.

I enjoyed spending time with Si and Nessie at the Euston Flyer in London at the Christmas get togethers and at the weekends in Leicester.

I am sure Si will be remembered by those who knew him and were aware of his “persuasive” skills when planning his treatment with Jamie, his consultant. Si understood his body and considered and questioned the treatment options with determination to get the treatments which he considered were right for him and his family.

He will be missed and remembered for how he dealt with his prostate cancer.

Alan and Celia

Edited by member 19 Sep 2019 at 08:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Sep 2019 at 09:11

A truly special man and beautiful family, who will always be remembered by all who met them, love Janet, xx

User
Posted 21 Sep 2019 at 18:07
My heartfelt condolences to Si's wife Vanessa and their children who should be (and no doubt - are) very proud of a courageous man

I don't post much any more but I heard that Si had passed and was so sad that he could no longer get the better of this disease.

Rest in Peace Si

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Sep 2019 at 08:09
As you would have seen on Devonmaid post her beloved John passed on last night at 20.20.

RIP John, another of our friends sadly passed onto that great party in the sky, out of pain, but not out of our memories.

Chris.

User
Posted 22 Sep 2019 at 09:18

Sorry to read that.

Ido4

User
Posted 22 Sep 2019 at 14:12
Condolences to Devonmaid.

What a bugger this disease is

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Sep 2019 at 16:45
Rest In Peace John.

A true gentleman and the strongest of fighters.

Sincere condolences Allison, our hearts are with you at the sad time.

George and Lynn

x

User
Posted 15 Oct 2019 at 10:04

My heartfelt condolences to Allison. xx

User
Posted 16 Oct 2019 at 15:54
It is time for me to compile the list of names for this years All Souls Service, this year on November 3rd, if you want anyone added please contact me soon.

Chris.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 08:51
I’m sorry but I’ve decided to stop doing these listings purely because of how I am now, 22 Mets to spine, hips, Sternum and Ribs, the fact I don’t drive any more so can’t visit our lovely local Church who have been Gracious enough to allow me to remember all those we have known all these years.

RIP Friends, WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 12:46
Thinking of you both and thank you for all the work you have done for us all over the years.
Roger
User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 13:03

To Valleyboy, Bazza, all the other poor guys and their families who left us in 2020 RIP.

Bazza in his own inimitable style says with this pandemic and the limitations it put on his freedom he couldn't have picked a better time to go.

What a man.

Edited by member 26 Sep 2020 at 13:03  | Reason: Thpo

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 20:10

Hi Chris,

I just read your profile.  It should be read by everyone newly arriving on this site and those asking how long they might last.  Thanks for posting all that and the memories of others.

Here is a summary of your profile, if you don't mind.

2005 Prostatectomy

2006 Radiotherapy

2007 Chemotherapy

2009 Hormones

2012 Hormones

2016 Hormones

2019 Hormones

2020 Enzalutamide because of 22 mets

Please keep writing about how you are, I'm sure many people will be thinking about you.

All the best
Peter

Edited by member 27 Sep 2020 at 14:58  | Reason: Correction from exBus written below.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 20:16

The second session of Chemo is wrong, I’ve only had one lot.

2020, Enzalutamide because of 22 Mets.

Edited by member 26 Sep 2020 at 20:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 22:00
Sorry to see this Exbus; you have done a marvellous job for many years and it has been much appreciated.

The friends that we have found and lost here each leave a footprint, some more than others but every one of them matters.

Stay safe,

Lyn

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 22:32
Thank you Lyn, you have been a great source of information over the years.

I feel now that I must look after My wife, and my own deteriorating health, but we will both continue to pray for all of you for as long as we are able. Over 14 years with this disease now, but the Mets are making themselves known, but pains are not in the same place each day, which I find puzzling.

Chris.

User
Posted 27 Sep 2020 at 12:36

Hi Chris ,
 Sorry to hear about your Mets , 
Thinking about you and Yours 

Good Luck 
Barry

User
Posted 27 Sep 2020 at 15:59

Dear Chris

So sorry to read that life is not treating you so well at the moment. I hope that there can still be joy in your life.

Kev

User
Posted 03 Oct 2020 at 13:57

Dear Chris,

I'm so sorry to read your latest news. You and Shirley are true friends to so many of us, and have been for so very many years, all the way back to 2005.

I think I'm speaking on behalf of over 100 people when I say how much we have enjoyed our meets ups with you both every year, summer and winter, and all those separate occasions where you've travelled to meet members in all parts of the UK.

You're a legend my dear mate, seriously!

And never ever give up. 

Love to you and Shirley

And a big warm Geordie hug

From

George, Lynn and Katrina

x

User
Posted 04 Oct 2020 at 07:53
What plans are you making George for your big 70th birthday bash?

Great to hear from you on the forum.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2020 at 11:59
Hi Jas,

I do hope all is well with you and yours

It hasn't been a year for seeing plans through has it? May 2019 Golden wedding party - down the pan, son's wedding followed the same route a few days later.

But we're just a few of the hundreds of thousands who've had the same problem, aren't we?

Have to be thankful that we're still around. And those of us here who are off treatment for a few more months are praying for our friends to get through the big PCa battles they face at the moment.

Honestly, If I get to my 70th in March 2021, I'll be very happy to have a quiet celebration of the birthday I never expected to see.

Stay well my friend, good to see you here again.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Chris and Shirley. and anyone else here going though a hard time.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2020 at 12:41
It is so great to see you posting George. I was wondering how you were doing, particularly when they announced the tighter restrictions in the North East and on what should have been GNR day. I am still hopeful that you will appear with some jelly babies as I run past - maybe in 2021.

B2PCa was such a support to me when I needed you all.

Lots of love to you, Lynn and Katrina xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Oct 2020 at 13:09
It seems pretty clear to me that until there is a vaccine widely taken that will greatly reduce the effects of the C virus if not stop it in it's tracks, we will continue to have varying restrictions on parts of the country making it very difficult to make future plans. However, it would be nice to meet up when we can, like we did in some previous years and while there are still some who know each other from those times, whilst providing the opportunity for more recently joined members to meet.
Barry
User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 12:15
Dear Friends,

Tomorrow is ALL SOULS DAY where we continue to pray for all our ABSENT FRIENDS from years gone by, there are too many to name, and we did not attend our Local Church this year to light candles in their Memories.

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Now my update, PSA still on the rise, 12.55, Mets on Bone Scan were less on latest Scan, but hips, ribs and sternum still give me problems, it appears that the Enzalutamide is failing to do what it is supposed to do, still on Zoladex and Dexamethasone plus daily Ibandronic Acid Pill. Blood test every 4 weeks and Onco Nurse or Prof chat before next Med pick up.

Chris.

User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 22:35
We lit our own Church Candle at home this afternoon.

RIP To All our Absent Friends.

How long before I join them is another matter, but I will carry on going my ministry for as long as I’m able.

Chris.

User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 23:20
Thank you Chris - take good care. You know what Alathays would have said - "it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings" .... and Topman would have responded that the fat lady is currently locked in the basement to keep her quiet!

User
Posted 03 Nov 2021 at 00:43
You have a good memory , Lyn.

I am coming up to 16 years, next month, so I can’t grumble, but since the first lockdown my outings were to the Clinic or Gp, except for a lovely week away at the end of September. With the Enzalutamide my energy levels have gone from poor to nonexistent!

Chris.

User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 16:33

I have just seen it announced on another forum that Chris (exbus) has sadly passed away. Condolences to his family. RIP Chris.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 16:46

I also saw the post Chris.  Chris was certainly a fighter and would share his experiences with us to give us the lowdown on how the various treatments worked out for him so we could learn from his PCa journey.

Those get togethers at the Mill were a blast and all that better for the presence of Chris and his other half.  Rest easy Chris.  Condolences to Shirley and the rest of the family.

Edited by member 02 Sep 2023 at 17:34  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 17:32
Chris our dear, dear friend. Rest In Peace now.

Words truly are not enough to express our sorrow.

We've had 18yrs of such a close friendship with Chris and Shirley and what a shining light in all our lives you and Chris have always been, our lovely Shirley.

I feel sure the love we ALL have for you will help you remain your usual, amazing, warm and strong self.

God Bless you both,

George, Lynn and Katrina

User
Posted 02 Sep 2023 at 18:37
So sorry to hear, Chris and Shirley have been friends for almost as long as I have been around this forum and both such lovely, special people. Chris will most certainly be missed for his knowledge, his care and his compassion to anyone he came across. I've so many memories. Much love to Shirley and all the family, take care, Janet, xx
User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 12:39

Sorry to hear this.   I went to a BP2Ca get together at the Euston Flyer pub and he was so helpful talking to me about my treatment, I  was saying I was only offered HT and RT and nothing else, he said because  it was probably the right one for me.  Those few words were so reassuring for me.

RIP Chris, blessings to Shirley.

Arthur

User
Posted 03 Sep 2023 at 14:54
Rest in peace dear man, your posts and support have helped many of us.Condolences to your family.

Leila

User
Posted 04 Sep 2023 at 08:28

RIP Chris a great stalwart on this very supportive site. Thanks for your help over last few years.

User
Posted 04 Sep 2023 at 13:33
Sad news indeed. Condolences to Shirley, his family and friends.
Barry
User
Posted 04 Sep 2023 at 16:11

So sorry to read this. 

Ido4

User
Posted 16 Oct 2023 at 23:38
Just to advise those who may wish to attend, the Celebration Service for Chris Butcher’s life will be on Saturday 28th October 11am at Lidlington Chapel followed by a light buffet lunch in the hall.
Roger
User
Posted 17 Oct 2023 at 10:06

I hadn’t heard that Chris had passed 💙 really sad news. My thoughts and best wishes are with his family and friends. RIP Chris 💙 xx