I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Secondary cancer

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 15:49

Hi, I am new to this group but my husband aged 71 has had cancer for 2 years now. His original diagnosis was prostate cancer plus bladder cancer and skin cancer. As treatment was prostate cancer was toxic for the bladder cancer we started simultaneous radiotherapy and chemotherapy each week for 6 months. The side effects were horrendous but my husband who is positive never gave up and came through successfully. Since then he has had cyber knife surgery on a lymph node, again successfully treated and recently went for a pet scan for confirmation.

At this scan they found that he has secondary cancer in the bones and lymph nodes. these have mutated as they have become resistant to the medication. They have spread across the pelvis, down one side of his body ( shoulder, arm hip) and the lymph nodes near his sinus's are also affected.

We now start chemo again, his psa level was 89.7 at the last blood test and I am wondering if we can beat this thing. On the internet, stats say that 15-30° success rate after 5 years , is that from diagnosis of the secondary cancer or original?

Needless to say I am a mess. Ignorance is bliss as we just faced the side effects last time and dealt with them. This time I know whats coming and I am not sure if I am strong enough to deal with it all. It doesn't help that my husband won't talk about it. His way of coping is denial. As I live in France , my ability to converse in French is not up to talking technical with the oncologist. 

Has anyone got some realistic advice for me. Is this normal? I can deal with whatever the outcome is but the not knowing and dreading the worst is holding me back.

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 16:38
Maureen, I am dealing with prostate cancer (11 years) and bladder cancer (recently returned after six years) so I can relate to your husband's issues. Normally, bladder cancer is more dangerous than prostate cancer. Whether that is so in your husband's case depends upon what the metastases you report are from - BC or PCa?

I am puzzled by what you say (I think) about the PCa treatment being toxic for the BC. I know of no chemo for which that is true. The reverse is certainly true, as I have recently experienced, in that cisplatin coupled with gemcitabine, which is the usual BC treatment knocks one's PSA level down.

If the Mets are all due to BC then docetaxel, for example, won't make a difference. If they are PCa Mets, you can expect a response.

I think we need more information to give advice, but I agree that your husband's situation is very serious.

Good Luck

AC