Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hip, leg and foot pain

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 16:14

Hi

I had my brachytherapy procedure on 22 June 2018 during which the radioactive seeds were implanted in the right side of my prostate (the biopsy showed that the left side was free from cancer).  Shortly afterwards, I began to experience pain running from my right hip down my right leg into my right foot with a feeling of numbness (pins and needles) in that foot.  This has grown steadily worse as time has gone on and is becoming a real problem.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  Thanks.

Laurence

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 18:15

Thanks for your thoughts.

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 18:51
I had RP but as we know there is lots of nerve damage everywhere. My thighs were both extremely numb for about six months. In the last year I’ve had really bad leg pain in both legs from hip to ankle. Generally unexplained despite the rest of me being fit. Apparently it’s not bone spread though
User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 23:44
Laurence, what kind of analgesia did you have for the brachy - spinal block?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 17:47

As to how Brachytherapy can cause such problems I don't really know, but it does sound like sciatica and perhaps during the op it affected the nerve or you've started sitting differently.

I hadn't associated sciatica with Prostatectomy until someone at a clinic said he'd had it quite a lot and the doctor had said the operation can move the nerve which causes pain right down the leg.   It rang a bell with me because I'd had a single surge of intense pain right down my leg but mainly in the thigh while sitting down a few weeks after the op and I've since had it a couple of more times and know to move quickly.  The pain is very intense, worse than anything I've known, but fortunately only lasts about 2 seconds.

According to Google:

Sciatica is defined as pain or discomfort associated with the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back down and buttocks down into the back of the legs to the feet (it's the longest nerve in the body!). Pain occurs when there's pressure on, or damage to, the sciatic nerve.

.........................................................................................................................................

Not only that but simultaneous with my diagnostic psa test I got a very bad pain in the hip which lasted for months.  The scans found nothing and the GP put it down to arthritis.  I spent ages thinking I'd got bone spread even after the op, and it seems every September something like that happens and I start thinking should I ask for a psa test.  The joy of getting older and how the imagination plays when you've been diagnosed.

Edited by member 06 Nov 2018 at 17:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 18:09
A lot of men are given spinal block / epidural either to be awake during surgery or to help with the pain in the couple of days immediately post-op. Epidural is renowned for disturbing the sciatic nerve although I don't think anyone has ever come up with an absolute explanation of why or how.

It is a great shame that not all men with PCa have access to physiotherapy support.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard