Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Back to running question

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 18:13

Hello 

May i ask you gents if any of you have returned to running at gym after Surgery ?My OH asked at his post op appointment 3 months after his Robotic surgery in June 18 ,and was told he wasn’t todo any running .

hes now 6 months after his op and wanting to return to gym but we haven’t yet had his appt to see his consultant ( should be Nov) but if anything like the rest of his treatment it’s a waiting game !

regards Sally :)

User
Posted 05 Nov 2018 at 23:00
Never heard of advice like that before - John was playing rugby 4 months post op and we have a number of members who are back running before 12 weeks.

Seems a bit ridiculous, to be honest!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Nov 2018 at 14:20

I just looked at my Polar Fitness Log and exactly 3 months after my op I must have gone to the gym and did 20 minutes on the treadmill with heart rate near max 153, I'm guessing that I started with incline and moved later back to running.  Followed by another 20 minutes of what must have been weight machines.  I went about once every couple of weeks and did plenty of walking in between.

In the 2nd month after my op I flew to Australia for a month so there is only walking which seems to be the sensible thing.

Lifting worried me most as the wounds in my stomach definitely didn't like it, so I didn't do it until I felt it was well recovered.  Also the sphincter stitching was something I was very careful about but that's another matter.

I didn't ask the doctor it seemed like common sense not to strain anything and to introduce it slowly.