I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI US fusion targeted biopsy

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 17:47

My Doctor told me that he recommends a MRI US fusion targeted biopsy. I received a leaflet with some details but they apply to different types of biopsies.

So right now I'm not sure what biopsy I'll have. Is it transperineal or TRUS? Does anyone got this kind of procedure and can give me some info?

And of course after reading a post about fear of biopsy, I kind of start thinking about it with a few worries.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 20:40
It is TRUS but using the best bits of the template biopsy - they use imaging to ensure the samples are taken from any suspect areas and you don't have to go through the risk & recovery of general anaesthetic.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 21:57

Not necessarily a TRUS biopsy. Mine was a TPM MRI  fusion targeted biopsy.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2018 at 22:37

Although this video is from the USA it covers fusion biopsy which is beginning to be used in the UK. It has been used for example in UCLH in London, not to be confused with UCLA in the USA as in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcLwL2dcK5o

Edited by member 07 Nov 2018 at 00:14  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 07 Nov 2018 at 05:03
Well Barry, What an amazing advance. I wonder when and if it will be adopted throughout the NHS, instead of the shot in the dark approach?

Cheers, John

User
Posted 07 Nov 2018 at 13:05
Thanks to all. After going through more websites it seems that ultrasound can only be via TRUS.

It's good to get feedback from you all since I'm single and can't even think of who I can put as next of kin when I go to the hospital. So I have to deal with this on my own. So thanks again for your posts.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2018 at 13:50

That's not fully correct.

I had a targeted transperineal (TPM) ultrasound guided biopsy. The MRI images from my MRI scan were superimposed on the ultrasound scan (fusion biopsy) to provide a clearer image of the target area.

Edited by member 07 Nov 2018 at 13:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Nov 2018 at 14:37

Thanks, Jon01. I'll have to ask when they call me for the appointment date. I read your bio so it sounds it's not so bad having the biopsy.