I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A small rant

User
Posted 08 Nov 2018 at 17:18

So I finally got round to chasing the GP up for a medical exemption form (the chemist said they I needed to go to the GP). Extreme follow on fatigue from the RT has slowed me down to a crawl on such things at the moment.

I ask the receptionist for a copy as I am a cancer patient so I can fill out and get the GP to sign. She looks at me like I am from Mars and goes off to find one. They have none and probably never have had. She asks the Practice Manager. No joy. She says the PM will request some but could not even give an idea of how long that would take. She says try the Chemist again.

I go back to the chemist and he says do it on line. I look on line and it is just a web page telling you to go to your GP for a form.

I'm spitting feathers because A) they appear not to have a clue about cancer exemption forms in general (which puts vulnerable cancer patients at financial risk) and B) didn't appear to give a duck, flying, walking or otherwise.

This is the same reception team that refused me a flu jab even though CRUK says I qualify.

I am now going to ring the hospital and see if they can sort it. I am going to also ask them if this kind of nonsense is usual from surgeries.

A complaint is pointless - we all know they go in the bin and are a black mark against you.

My next job is to find a surgery that scores more than 1.5 * on the NHS rating site (their current rating with some very bad written reviews).

Any thoughts, all?

P

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 17:31
My rant is about people on here and on TV news and current affairs who begin sentences with "so". It seems to be a modern bad habit.

My six year old grandson has learned at school that this should never be done. I thought my primary schooling was pretty good but I'm seriously impressed that the lad's teachers can successfully tackle English syntax with six year olds!

Thus, not so, you can see why I sign myself

Auld Codger

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 18:31
@Auld Codger

So I assume that this is a note of censure :-P

@Bollinge

I feel a group Victor Meldrew moment coming on!

@Lynn

The chemist said I needed to get the form from the surgery. The surgery had none, knew nothing about them and were less than enthusiastic about ordering the forms (same attitude as with the flu jab). I talked to my contact nurses at the the hospital today and they were firnly of the opinion that the surgery did not have its act together on both issues and kindly are sending me a copy of the form to fill out, roll up and swat their noses with.

@Ian

The surgery has very poor ratings on the NHS site. I can see why. The lead GP who diagnosed me is a star but the rest of the operation is struggling to make people satisfied. To be fair they had to take on a load of patients when another surgery closed but even so there is no excuse for this sort of thing. I believe they are led by budgets not care. My MP bats for the team that want to disband the NHS and have poor people line up for soup kitchen like health treatment (like the US is doing at the moment for those who cannot afford their extortionate privatised health care) so that is a non starter. I may well write to the opposition chap to give them more ammo.

I am now putting my grumps away for the weekend.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 20:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
@Auld Codger

I talked to my contact nurses at the the hospital today and they were firnly of the opinion that the surgery did not have its act together on both issues and kindly are sending me a copy of the form to fill out, roll up and swat their noses with.

I am there with you, doing some virtual swatting. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 17:31
My rant is about people on here and on TV news and current affairs who begin sentences with "so". It seems to be a modern bad habit.

My six year old grandson has learned at school that this should never be done. I thought my primary schooling was pretty good but I'm seriously impressed that the lad's teachers can successfully tackle English syntax with six year olds!

Thus, not so, you can see why I sign myself

Auld Codger

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 18:10
SO, I too, am sometimes accused of being a grumpy old git.

I feel very privileged that the elderly are SO respected nowadays. 😉

Cheers, John

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 18:15
Where we live, the exemption certificate application forms are collected from a pharmacy, completed and then dropped off at the GP practice for signing.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 18:20

You are not alone in this. My surgery didn’t offer me a flu jab for years when I am on immunosuppressants for arthritis. My rheumatologist was furious. When I had a flu jab last month the nurse asked me why I felt I was entitled to it! I told her I had prostate cancer and arthritis. I guess you meet the criteria then was the response. These conversations enrage me. I also have huge difficulties booking my prost jab. It is very stressful. One of my wife’s friends changed jobs to become a receptionist  at a GP surgery. One of the group of 9 friends asked “when do you go for your Rottweiler training? What do you mean you’re having a heart attack, the next available appointment is three weeks on a Tuesday.”

I know GP surgeries are extremely busy and get a lot of frequent flyers but I would not have got away with the sort of response you received in any job I have done.

What about a chat with your parliamentary representative?

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 18:31
@Auld Codger

So I assume that this is a note of censure :-P

@Bollinge

I feel a group Victor Meldrew moment coming on!

@Lynn

The chemist said I needed to get the form from the surgery. The surgery had none, knew nothing about them and were less than enthusiastic about ordering the forms (same attitude as with the flu jab). I talked to my contact nurses at the the hospital today and they were firnly of the opinion that the surgery did not have its act together on both issues and kindly are sending me a copy of the form to fill out, roll up and swat their noses with.

@Ian

The surgery has very poor ratings on the NHS site. I can see why. The lead GP who diagnosed me is a star but the rest of the operation is struggling to make people satisfied. To be fair they had to take on a load of patients when another surgery closed but even so there is no excuse for this sort of thing. I believe they are led by budgets not care. My MP bats for the team that want to disband the NHS and have poor people line up for soup kitchen like health treatment (like the US is doing at the moment for those who cannot afford their extortionate privatised health care) so that is a non starter. I may well write to the opposition chap to give them more ammo.

I am now putting my grumps away for the weekend.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 20:30

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
@Auld Codger

I talked to my contact nurses at the the hospital today and they were firnly of the opinion that the surgery did not have its act together on both issues and kindly are sending me a copy of the form to fill out, roll up and swat their noses with.

I am there with you, doing some virtual swatting.