I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My PSA is Rising

User
Posted 08 Nov 2018 at 19:46

Oncology appointment today my PSA has risen again.  Started of really low but has risen over last 4 tests - 0.18, 0.36, 0.46 and today 0.76.  I was having 6 monthly appointments, then 4 monthly now my next appointment is in 2 months.  In between times my oncologist is arranging an MRI for me and PSA & testosterone test before the appointment.

It seems like where the RT didn’t touch the prostate it’s now producing PSA.

At least I’m very pleased that my oncologist is proactive.

Arthur

User
Posted 30 Dec 2018 at 21:30

Hi A, 

I hope you were able to have a good Christmas in spite of your worrying news. 

I was always told by my Oncologist that once the lasting effects of my Radiotherapy left my system (about 12 months in my case) my PSA would rise as the prostate cells that weren't damaged would still naturally produce some PSA.  The rate of increase would increase once my hormone treatment ended too which it did. She told me that providing the figure didn't increase by more than 2 above my lowest level then everything would be OK.  At this stage, I don't think you have anything to be worried about, but at least they're doing scans to check. 

Unfortunately, as you probably know, mine eventually went up to 4 and was doubling every 12 weeks so I've ended up back on hormone treatment again.  You can check my profile for the details of my journey.

I hope everything is fine with the scans and you have a very Happy New Year!

Steve 

User
Posted 08 Nov 2018 at 20:27
Hi AWR - I hope you get the checks done & good results quickly. With a prostate still in position, may hospitals would be okay with you going as high as 2.0 without any worries about recurrence - check out Ray if you haven't done so already.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 15:20

Had MRI on 7th December. Received  phone call from hospital today they want me to have an enhanced MRI (with dye) on 31st December so they’ve obviously seen something on the previous one.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 16:33
Try not to let it spoil your Christmas - at least your consultant is investigating more thoroughly.
Barry
User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 18:01

A

Plenty of options still open to you, not news you want on Christmas Eve, but as Barry says good your team are on the ball. Best wishes and enjoy Xmas.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 31 Dec 2018 at 15:49

Thanks to all who have replied and for your enćouragement.

i’m just back from the hospital having had the MRI with contrast (dye), so I’m waiting for the results.  i have a pre-booked appointment for 7th February so will have to wait and see if i’m called back earlier.

Happy New Year to all,

Arthur

User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 03:00

Fingers crossed for you, try not to worry.

All the Best, 

Steve 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Nov 2018 at 20:27
Hi AWR - I hope you get the checks done & good results quickly. With a prostate still in position, may hospitals would be okay with you going as high as 2.0 without any worries about recurrence - check out Ray if you haven't done so already.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 15:20

Had MRI on 7th December. Received  phone call from hospital today they want me to have an enhanced MRI (with dye) on 31st December so they’ve obviously seen something on the previous one.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 16:33
Try not to let it spoil your Christmas - at least your consultant is investigating more thoroughly.
Barry
User
Posted 24 Dec 2018 at 18:01

A

Plenty of options still open to you, not news you want on Christmas Eve, but as Barry says good your team are on the ball. Best wishes and enjoy Xmas.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Dec 2018 at 21:30

Hi A, 

I hope you were able to have a good Christmas in spite of your worrying news. 

I was always told by my Oncologist that once the lasting effects of my Radiotherapy left my system (about 12 months in my case) my PSA would rise as the prostate cells that weren't damaged would still naturally produce some PSA.  The rate of increase would increase once my hormone treatment ended too which it did. She told me that providing the figure didn't increase by more than 2 above my lowest level then everything would be OK.  At this stage, I don't think you have anything to be worried about, but at least they're doing scans to check. 

Unfortunately, as you probably know, mine eventually went up to 4 and was doubling every 12 weeks so I've ended up back on hormone treatment again.  You can check my profile for the details of my journey.

I hope everything is fine with the scans and you have a very Happy New Year!

Steve 

User
Posted 31 Dec 2018 at 15:49

Thanks to all who have replied and for your enćouragement.

i’m just back from the hospital having had the MRI with contrast (dye), so I’m waiting for the results.  i have a pre-booked appointment for 7th February so will have to wait and see if i’m called back earlier.

Happy New Year to all,

Arthur

User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 03:00

Fingers crossed for you, try not to worry.

All the Best, 

Steve 

User
Posted 07 Feb 2019 at 18:39

Saw oncologist today - PSA now 1.2 up from 0.76.  MRI and Enhanced MRI show no recurrence, all clear and no lymph node involvement.  Next appointment in 3 months.  Oncologist said will offer another MRI if PSA rises to 2 or over.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2019 at 15:30

Sorry to see you have a rising PSA. 

Since the scan shows no recuurence that is hopefully a good sign.

Ido4

User
Posted 10 Feb 2019 at 15:31
Always a worry but good feedback from Onco. Seems slow which is good