I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Personal Update - A story of hope

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 00:36

I can't believe it's nearly 12 months since I updated on this site.

Suffice to say I am a lucky lad. 4 and a half years post op, my PSA stays below 0.1, and I continue to lead a full and active life.  I have to wear a pad a day for incontinence, and have caverject 20mg, although it's not perfect, and interest in sex isn't what it was.

I will be giving away my elder daughter next May, my younger is exceptionally successful with an incredible outgoing personality, and my wife is fully supportive in helping me deal with the care issues surrounding my mum (89), who is a happy soul, but has very little short term memory and needs lots of support in her day to day life with frequent spells in hospital.

This year, I have won 4 major golf events, and at 66, playing as well as I ever have.  I have to be so grateful for the extra years I have been given.

This year, we raised nearly a grand in our annual prostate competition, but sadly, one of our members has been given limited time with a very aggressive cancer which wasn't diagnosed in time.  It is this that drives me to continually wear my mom badge and raise the profile of and funds for PCUK.

To those of you recently diagnosed, for me it was not the end of the world, and have opportunities for which I have so many to thank. 

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 06:38

Paul

For all us new boys so to speak, posts like yours are just the ticket. Pleased that things are moving in the right direction for you. The final bit of your post sums it up for me at the moment. Its not the end of the world once you've got your head round it, its a new way of living what ever life you have left. Keep up the positive work and well done.

Chris.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 00:36

I can't believe it's nearly 12 months since I updated on this site.

Suffice to say I am a lucky lad. 4 and a half years post op, my PSA stays below 0.1, and I continue to lead a full and active life.  I have to wear a pad a day for incontinence, and have caverject 20mg, although it's not perfect, and interest in sex isn't what it was.

I will be giving away my elder daughter next May, my younger is exceptionally successful with an incredible outgoing personality, and my wife is fully supportive in helping me deal with the care issues surrounding my mum (89), who is a happy soul, but has very little short term memory and needs lots of support in her day to day life with frequent spells in hospital.

This year, I have won 4 major golf events, and at 66, playing as well as I ever have.  I have to be so grateful for the extra years I have been given.

This year, we raised nearly a grand in our annual prostate competition, but sadly, one of our members has been given limited time with a very aggressive cancer which wasn't diagnosed in time.  It is this that drives me to continually wear my mom badge and raise the profile of and funds for PCUK.

To those of you recently diagnosed, for me it was not the end of the world, and have opportunities for which I have so many to thank. 

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 11:33

Nice to hear from you 6f2 

We had our surgery around the same time..I remember your posts  .... My lasting side effects virtually mirror yours.. ie. a pad and using caverject or invicorp ... 
Like you, my psa continues to be stable at <0.01 and I'm very grateful for that.

I don't play golf.. ( too many 'bats'  to carry around with me for my liking   ) but I lead an active life and would consider myself pretty fit for my age..... I also like a few beers or ciders or anything that's bad for you... and don't intend to stop that either... 
Good work with the fund raising! 

Yep, it's good to see posts like yours as it gives great encouragement to those who are newly diagnosed...
To date I too have been very lucky ,and even after losing my partner of over 30 years a couple years ago, life for me has not turned out so bad after all...
Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 12:34
Really really pleased to hear from you again , and long may your happiness and health prevail mate
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 06:38

Paul

For all us new boys so to speak, posts like yours are just the ticket. Pleased that things are moving in the right direction for you. The final bit of your post sums it up for me at the moment. Its not the end of the world once you've got your head round it, its a new way of living what ever life you have left. Keep up the positive work and well done.

Chris.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 11:33

Nice to hear from you 6f2 

We had our surgery around the same time..I remember your posts  .... My lasting side effects virtually mirror yours.. ie. a pad and using caverject or invicorp ... 
Like you, my psa continues to be stable at <0.01 and I'm very grateful for that.

I don't play golf.. ( too many 'bats'  to carry around with me for my liking   ) but I lead an active life and would consider myself pretty fit for my age..... I also like a few beers or ciders or anything that's bad for you... and don't intend to stop that either... 
Good work with the fund raising! 

Yep, it's good to see posts like yours as it gives great encouragement to those who are newly diagnosed...
To date I too have been very lucky ,and even after losing my partner of over 30 years a couple years ago, life for me has not turned out so bad after all...
Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 12:34
Really really pleased to hear from you again , and long may your happiness and health prevail mate