Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 16:50

Hello 

My Dad is 61 and on Tuesday was diagnosed with prostate cancer that has spread to his bones and pelvis

He had a bone scan yesterday, we are awaiting the results. 

He is having a biopsy on Monday

I presume these tests will show how much the cancer has spread and give a grading? 

His PSA level is 157, is that very high? 

He has been started on tablets, these are just for 28 days and he has been told that he will be having an injection every 3 months.

I believe radiotherapy has also been mentioned

I'm just praying that they can keep him alive for years, I would be so lost without him :( 

Has anyone else had a PSA that high and the cancer has spread but still managed to live? 

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 18:07

Hi

First off,  there will be lots of people on here that will have more experience and more detailed answers than me but as a relative new boy with a diagnosis not to different to your dad I thought I would offer my support.

I was diagnosed the end of August , see my profile for details, a massive shock for me and my family. 2 months on with a treatment plan in place the black cloud is lifting slightly and I am  confident that I have a future measured in years not months. Sounds like your Dad/son thing is on the same level as my lads and mine so I feel even more for you.  Best of luck, keep posting and asking questions, it's a good forum this.

Oh and I fancy my team to beat your team on Sunday !!

Best regards

Chris.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2018 at 18:29
157 is high but not that high? When diagnosed in Jan/17 my PSA was 1547. It’s 363 now but todate that hadn’t stopped me doing most of the things I did before diagnoses? If you want more details click on my story avatar which will take you through my various treatment regimes including hormones. Steroids. Chemotherapy. And Radium 223. All of these treatments have their own side effects none of which were really dibilatating for me. Good luck for the future.

Keep the Faith

J.

User
Posted 12 Nov 2018 at 15:08
Thank you both!

He's had his biopsy today, they said he will get a letter in the post with an appointment date for the results and it could take up to 2 weeks. Hoping that's just the standard line they have to say and he gets seen quicker.

Will update when I know more

PS: I'm his daughter :-)

User
Posted 12 Nov 2018 at 18:14
Two weeks would be normal - the samples have to be analysed and reported back to the consultant and then, in most NHS trusts, reviewed by a multi-disciplinary team who meet weekly. There is less urgency in your dad's case since he has already been diagnosed and has started on treatment - the biopsy result is more or less a formality and detail that will help with his future treatment planning.

The bone scan will show how far the cancer has spread in his bones; and the biopsy will determine what type of prostate cancer it is and the Gleason score or pathological grade (some hospitals no longer use Gleason). Has he also had an MRI or CT scan to check organs / lymph nodes?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Jan 2019 at 10:26

Hey , i came across this thread on my search for some answers. my dad was diagnosed on thursdays. we knes if was coming due to psa results 83, his mri result and nuclear med scan. what we hadnt factor in was metastic spread , so his diagnose was g7 prostate cancer with spread to lower spine. now as i understand g7 is a not very aggressive cancer on the scale but due to the spread they are saying its not curable( feels scary saying that out loud) but are offering 6 chemotherapy and he has started hormone tablets yesterday and will move on to injections. This a total new journey for us as a family we have been lucky enough never to have to deal with the big c. so if any one can shed some light on whats ahead of us. my dads main concern is the chemo thats the bit that scares him the most tablets/injections dont bother him. There has been no mention of radiotherapy is this normal? 

amy x 

User
Posted 12 Jan 2019 at 11:39
Amy, it would be better to copy and paste your above post into a new conversation so that replies to your question don't get muddled up with Chelsea Blue's
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Mar 2019 at 04:02

Hey ChelseaBlue, any updates on your Dad? my Father was just diagnosed with prostate cancer today, He had a PSA of 24.2 and a Gleason level of (4+3) 7 according to his biopsy. He will get a bone scan done later this week to see if the cancer has spread outside of the prostate. Stay strong for your Dad, he can beat this. <3