Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in sperm after biopsy

User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 16:33

Hi

My first post here. I'm still waiting for the results of my prostrate biopsy. I got a letter today asking me to come in for an appointment this coming Friday, I guess to discuss the results. This is stressful, the waiting.

Anyway, blood in my sperm, even though I was expecting it,  it's a shock and hard to deal with. I'm confused as to how this takes so long to go away. Does it mean the prostrate takes so long to heal and is still bleeding? I would have thought the blood would stop more quickly after being expelled 

Thanks everyone in advance 

User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 22:44

I remember saying to my husbands diagnosing consultant ‘ you said expect blood in the semen, but it’s more like semen in the blood’!

it took a few weeks .. see my profile for dates but did get better. i advise condoms until it clears up as it was scary!

Good luck

Clare

User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 18:48
Maybe six weeks.
User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 18:53
Keep flushing it out mate, until it becomes creamy again, rather than pink!

cheers, John.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 19:04
It was about two years ago for me but I remember similar concerns.

Immidiately after the biopsy pee looked like pure blood gradually decreasing over the next week or so. Ejeculation also a lot of red at first, gradually turning to a horrible brown colour but within maybe two or three weeks back to normal. So sounds like normal to me. I think the more you ejeculate the quicker it will clear.

Results of biopsy for me meant treatment, I hope you'rs are better

Good Luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 21:19

I agree with the comments above, especially flushing out the sperm regularly, at least there’s an upside😉

it was two weeks before mine went pure white again and I had a Template Biopsy, so lots of needles

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 21:28

Hi Andy

well the diagnosis could be worse so I think you have time to research all options thoroughly. It really is a strange one re having to choose rather than just been put on a plan.

The community here is great so do read profiles and ask any questions as everyone is so open. Some are quite clear they have no interest in sex so ED is not a consideration for them but for others ( like my Hubble) they are not keen to lose their sex life.

So do ask if they haven’t said anything on their profile as everybody is very happy to help.

what options have you been given? 

Hope you are doing OK and recovering from the biopsy now

Clare

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 16:25
Andy, are you serious? No sick pay scheme covering these things? I am staggered that any employer should adopt such an attitude in the 21st century.

AC

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 17:40
I think that your employer needs some training on his duties under the Equality Act 2010. Having cancer is a protected characteristic.

The word tawt comes to mind :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 18:40
Wow, Andy, I'm staggered by your employer's attitude. Complete contrast to mine: I was off work on full pay for five and a half months and am now working on "light duties" until I have my RT in Feb when they know that (and have no problem with) I'll be off for another two months.

A sympathetic employer is a huge help in such trying times.

Chris

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 19:54

My goodness.. that is shocking. It may be worth getting advice from citizens advice, no wonder you had nightmares!

i hope the brachi team meeting went well. A fair view guys on here have had it so they should be able to appraise you of their experience.

My husbands employer was great and fortunately he has been able to continue to work full time but does get time to go for his surveillance appointments.. your emplayer is being short sighted indeed.

We felt better when we had a plan so hopefully you will too.

uncertainty is a mare and sounds Like it is causing you a lot of stress but on the positive side you seem to have access to good medical advice and great you have seen two completely different teams.

keeping asking questions.. Its horrid when someone says ‘I wish I had known... ‘

Good luck

Clare

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 18:48
Maybe six weeks.
User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 18:53

cheers, John.

User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 19:04

Immidiately after the biopsy pee looked like pure blood gradually decreasing over the next week or so. Ejeculation also a lot of red at first, gradually turning to a horrible brown colour but within maybe two or three weeks back to normal. So sounds like normal to me. I think the more you ejeculate the quicker it will clear.

Good Luck

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 21:19

I agree with the comments above, especially flushing out the sperm regularly, at least there’s an upside😉

it was two weeks before mine went pure white again and I had a Template Biopsy, so lots of needles

User
Posted 10 Nov 2018 at 22:44

I remember saying to my husbands diagnosing consultant ‘ you said expect blood in the semen, but it’s more like semen in the blood’!

it took a few weeks .. see my profile for dates but did get better. i advise condoms until it clears up as it was scary!

Good luck

Clare

User
Posted 11 Nov 2018 at 09:26

Many thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Nov 2018 at 09:27

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

cheers, John.

Hi John, sounds like a plan, cheers!

User
Posted 11 Nov 2018 at 09:30

Good Luck

Cheers
Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for your reply.

Interestingly, my pee has been pretty much clear since the biopsy.

Yeah the shades of my sperm seem to vary between dark red / brown, pretty yucky.

I hope you're doing well

Andy

User
Posted 11 Nov 2018 at 09:32

Thanks Pallance.

Yep, always an upside, just doing it with my eyes closed, then clearing up after the moment ;-)

Same biopsy for me, what seemed like endless needs, was so glad when that was over

Andy

User
Posted 11 Nov 2018 at 09:34

Good luck

Clare

Thanks Clare,

That's how I view it, might be some semen somewhere in all the mess ;-)

I hope you're both doing well. Thanks for the advice

Andy

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 05:02

Hi All,

Been a while since I replied

I got my biopsy results on Friday 16th November, I do have prostrate cancer which has / is a shock

But it's not spread beyond my prostrate, and I have a choice of options: removal through the robot assisted procedure, directed beam radiotheraphy or brachytherapy.

They've said each option for me, has the same outcome in terms of getting rid of the cancer, it's more a question of monitoring me afterwards to pick up on any future issues as my PSA is already low

I had a meeting with the robotic surgery guy yesterday, to discuss that procedure and have a meeting with the radiology people next week to discuss that option.

My girlfriend was with me, to support me, ask any of her own questions and take notes, which was nice

I just need to decide on the treatment I want in the next week or two. For me, apart from obviously wanting to get rid of the cancer, functionality afterwards is really important for me:

I have great orgasms and want them to be as good as possible afterwards

Minimising incontinence as much as possible

I'm not that great with pain, emotionally and physically, especially when they're messing about with my penis, bladder, etc, so want that minimised and much as possible

I'm starting to waffle now, I woke up early!

Thanks

Andu

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 05:45
Hi Andu,

Click my profile to read my one-year story since a raised PSA reading was discovered. Might I suggest you fill in your full clinical details likewise (G score, PSA, staging, etc.), so as to assist the very wise minds here to help you further?

Lucky old you with your orgasms, and I urge you to have as many as possible before any treatment commences.

I had robotic surgery, and I can honestly say I have had more pain from a sore throat and a broken rib.

Get second opinions from another surgeon and oncologist, and take note of advice you will undoubtedly receive here from those of us here who ‘have been there, had that done’.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 09:29

Hi Andu,

Click my profile to read my one-year story since a raised PSA reading was discovered. Might I suggest you fill in your full clinical details likewise (G score, PSA, staging, etc.), so as to assist the very wise minds here to help you further?

Lucky old you with your orgasms, and I urge you to have as many as possible before any treatment commences.

I had robotic surgery, and I can honestly say I have had more pain from a sore throat and a broken rib.

Get second opinions from another surgeon and oncologist, and take note of advice you will undoubtedly receive here from those of us here who ‘have been there, had that done’.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Thanks John

Will update my details later and take a look at your story this evening.

Will look at getting a 2nd opinion, should I see my gp about this? Will also take note of any advice I get here

We're just off out for the day with the dogs, get some R&R

Have a good weekend

Andy

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 11:08

Hi Andy.

i have just been though what you are going though at the moment I had my results on 13th Nov, similar to you it had not spread beyond the prostate And was offered Surgery or HT/EBRT  

unfortunately I did not have the advantage of being able to talk it over with the surgeon and radiographer but I do have a very good McMillan nurse that is always available to answer mine and my wife’s question.

finally made my dec on Thursday this week And going th HT/EBRT route. Based my decision on which of the possible after effects I would be able to cope with.

you do not say how old you are this sometimes come into the equation on which of the side effects will concern you the most.

we are all different and have different priorities which ever you make I’m sure it will be the right one for you.

Good Luck

Bob

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 11:25

When I was diagnosed PSA 38 Gleason 4:5 T2c I was told I had an aggressive hi grade cancer so prostatectomy was not an option. As mine was also confined in the prostate I went on HT then radiotherapy. at end of active treatment my PSA is 0.5 I’m glad Prostatectomy wasn’t on the tabl for me. I am happy with my decisions I made that also included not having HDR Brachytherapy, as you get RT as well anyway. I had the 20 higher dose fractions of RT instead of 37 as the school of thought is now that is more beneficial. Now I need the next 3 quarterly PSA tests to show no rise. As for orgasms, im sure you will have some form of Hormone Therapy and the side effects are well documented. Dry ejaculations are what I have and the feeling is different and love making needs a lot more work and a patient loving partner 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 11:37

Thats  exactly the situation and decision I made in March this year. I am now throught it with a PSA of 0.5, I am Glad of my decision. but am aware the NHS hospital where I was treated is rated second only to the Royal Marsden 

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 12:35

Hi photoguy 

After talking to  the consultant I decided to go for the radical prostatectomy just thought it was better to have the cancer remove from my body in one go, operation was straight forward not to much pain, 5 months on completely continent again but I do have ED as my nerves were removed as well. I think what ever way you go the side affects are the same. 

good luck in the future and I hope all goes well when you do make your mind up about the treatment.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 14:53
Sorry if I have missed it but what was your Gleason score and size of tumour?

My husband was relatively lucky with a G6 (3+3) outcome but bilateral and large volume.

At 54 he wanted to avoid ED and incontinence so we went overseas for a Focal laser ablation ( out of pocket expense of USD 30,000).

Of the UK offerings we had Brachi at the top of our list and surgery at the bottom.

However a different Gleason rating could have changed that decision completely of course.

Good luck with your decision

Clare

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 16:40

Hi photoguy,

Sorry to learn that your tests came back positive.

Deciding on the choice of treatment is not an easy one. Much depends on staging and what will give the best outcomes.

Although surgery was a daunting proposition, surgeon recommended option, i went with it. So far, it has proved to be the correct decision for me.

The surgery itself was surprisingly uneventful and i was home the following day. I did have bladder spasms, not very common i believe, so just unlucky i guess.

Once you have discussed all your options, and have more information, the decision on treatment will become clearer. It was certainly the case for me as i looked more closely at my biopsy results and outcomes for similar cases - although we are all individual and unique.

Due to age and aspects of my biopsy report, close to bladder neck,  core % and peri-neural invasion, i discounted radiation treatments. Radiation with peri-neural invasion has been shown to have less favourable outcomes. The surgeon, wonderful man, expressed his concern for radiation due to my age. I now see radiation as a future follow up treatment, if it does come to that.

So far i have no regrets with my treatment option.

I wish you all the very best for the future. Good luck with your choice of treatment.

Neil.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 22:25

Hi Andu,

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Hi John

I've just put some more info on my profile, hope that's useful.

I'm 55 years old

Andy

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 22:28

Thats  exactly the situation and decision I made in March this year. I am now throught it with a PSA of 0.5, I am Glad of my decision. but am aware the NHS hospital where I was treated is rated second only to the Royal Marsden 

Hi Pallance, which hospital was that. Plan is for me to be treated at the Royal Surrey, Guildford

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 22:33

Sorry if I have missed it but what was your Gleason score and size of tumour?

My husband was relatively lucky with a G6 (3+3) outcome but bilateral and large volume.

At 54 he wanted to avoid ED and incontinence so we went overseas for a Focal laser ablation ( out of pocket expense of USD 30,000).

Of the UK offerings we had Brachi at the top of our list and surgery at the bottom.

However a different Gleason rating could have changed that decision completely of course.

Good luck with your decision

Clare

Hi Clare

Sorry new here! Have put some more info on my profile, also below:

adenocarcinoma of the prostate (cT2, PSA at diagnosis 1.04)
MRI (October 2018) - T2 N0 Mx
TRUS prostrate biopsy (November 2018) - Gleason Score 3+4 3/18 Cores,mccl 9mm

I'm 55, good erections and orgasms, hate pain!

Andy

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 21:28

Hi Andy

well the diagnosis could be worse so I think you have time to research all options thoroughly. It really is a strange one re having to choose rather than just been put on a plan.

The community here is great so do read profiles and ask any questions as everyone is so open. Some are quite clear they have no interest in sex so ED is not a consideration for them but for others ( like my Hubble) they are not keen to lose their sex life.

So do ask if they haven’t said anything on their profile as everybody is very happy to help.

Clare

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 03:57

Hi Andy

Clare

Hey Clare 

Silly o'clock in the morning, woke from a nightmare a few hours ago, nearly got back to sleep. Come downstairs so as not to disturb my girlfriend! Dreamed I was in a large house  eventually cornered by a big group of strangers, all quite threatening, they forced me to take a gun to play russian roulette with. I tried  to shoot some of them, but it was empty then I woke up, felt like calling the Samaritans. Didn't expect to feel so emotionally affected :-(

I will read profiles and ask questions, thanks 

I'm choosing between Brachyrherapy and robotic prostate removal .leaning towards Brachyrherapy right now 

Met the robotic surgery team last week. Meeting Brachyrherapy team later today, will be there a few hours  flow test, ultrasound exam etc. 

Then I'll be making a decision once we've had a think about it 

Pretty much recovered from the biopsy now thanks .less blood in my sperm, but sex drive has gone down though, last few weeks, a lot on my mind 

Work stressed me out a bit yesterday. Was called into bosses office and reminded I needed to keep letting them know how i wanted to manage my time off for appointments  i.e. take holiday or owe them time. My health comes first but they're trying to run a business they said. No s***! Feel like the boss is getting fed up with me taking time off and me having appointments at inconvenient times 

Yeah, damn inconvenient me having cancer

Ho hum, will report back later 

Hope you and hubbie are good 

Thanks 

Andy

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 16:25
Andy, are you serious? No sick pay scheme covering these things? I am staggered that any employer should adopt such an attitude in the 21st century.

AC

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 17:40
I think that your employer needs some training on his duties under the Equality Act 2010. Having cancer is a protected characteristic.

The word tawt comes to mind :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 18:40
Wow, Andy, I'm staggered by your employer's attitude. Complete contrast to mine: I was off work on full pay for five and a half months and am now working on "light duties" until I have my RT in Feb when they know that (and have no problem with) I'll be off for another two months.

A sympathetic employer is a huge help in such trying times.

Chris

User
Posted 27 Nov 2018 at 19:54

My goodness.. that is shocking. It may be worth getting advice from citizens advice, no wonder you had nightmares!

i hope the brachi team meeting went well. A fair view guys on here have had it so they should be able to appraise you of their experience.

My husbands employer was great and fortunately he has been able to continue to work full time but does get time to go for his surveillance appointments.. your emplayer is being short sighted indeed.

We felt better when we had a plan so hopefully you will too.

uncertainty is a mare and sounds Like it is causing you a lot of stress but on the positive side you seem to have access to good medical advice and great you have seen two completely different teams.

keeping asking questions.. Its horrid when someone says ‘I wish I had known... ‘

Good luck

Clare

User
Posted 28 Nov 2018 at 07:13

Sadly serious. Don't expect them to ask how i am every 5 minutes but his attitude seems to have changed 

Then, to cap it off, had a nightmare that night in the early hours. Dreamed I was being chased around a big house by people who had really intense expressions on their faces  until they cornered me in a room, forcing me to take a gun to play russian roulette with :-(

Had my meeting yesterday with a great nurse at royal Surrey in Guildford to discuss Brachyrherapy, as well as some more checks. She was bloody fantastic, talked about my nightmare with her and she so amazingly caring and told me there was no way I was playing russian roulette with my health. All this while i was naked from the waste down and was using an ultrasound probe up my bum ;-)

Made up for my boss being a dick

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 06:57

Hi All 

Thought I'd update you all.

I've decided on my treatment being Brachytherapy  

My girlfriend and I thought about the options, but I've been in favour of brachytherapy pretty much since we had the options given to me.

I'm glad I've made my choice and I'm happy with it.

I had my second nightmare last night though, thought they would stop once I'd made my decision .

Last night's was that nurses had clamped my left hand so I couldn't move it and were amputating some of my fingers.

Not very nice to wake up at 2am after that :-(

Anyone else have nightmares after their diagnosis?

Thanks 

Andy

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 07:35
Yes Andy

I was particularly anxious, stressed and angry after dx. I lost three stone from dx to going back to work after op and I didnt really have three stone to spare. My worst nightmare is being at my gp surgery, its all a bit vague and varies until the point where I am trying to shout at him but unable to make a sound. Then I am peeing blood all over his desk and floor. Then wake up soaked in sweat. There are others but more varied. Two years on and much less frequent so not really a problem now. The worst part is the waking up soaked even though not even slightly hot.

Good luck with your treatment and recovery

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 08:05
I had real problems coming to terms with my diagnosis in May. My GP prescribed Sertraline - an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant - which helped me tremendously. I was on that for about 4 months in total. I don't need it any more (I'm happy with life again, and start RT in Feb), but it was a lifesaver for me.

Chris

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 08:23

Thanks for sharing 

I was due to come off fluoxetine, but will stay on it a while yet. Also take zopiclone sometimes, to get a good night's sleep.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 13:56

I’m on Fluoxetine from this week. It’s an ssri that can help with hot flushes, as a bonus to keeping me calm. I was just getting over my PCa to find out my wife has bladder cancer

User
Posted 15 Dec 2018 at 19:54
Sorry I've not posted for a while. Good news is my sperm is the "right" colour!

Tough times though, stresses and strains in my relationship with my girlfriend. Over financial issues, upshot if which she said i should move out as I'm obviously not happy. So me mentioning i want to make some changes to our finances, she takes a big leap and wants me to move out after my treatment.

Feel really flat emotionally now and somewhat paranoid. Work are being very understanding and taking the load off where they Can, lucky to have this job, despite earlier issues

Tough times, I just let out a big sigh :-(