I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiation without Hormone Therapy

User
Posted 14 Nov 2018 at 15:38

I had my prostrate removed in March. I was 8 on the Gleason scale. I am 77 years old and in good health. My PSA is now has started to rise and my surgeon has suggested radiation along with Hormone Therapy. On the other hand, my urologist, who I have been seeing for several years, has suggested that I just go ahead with the radiation, without the Hormone Therapy. I really don't like the side effects of Hormone Therapy, and I am afraid that it will interfere with my job, which is part-time but really important to me both Physically and mentally.

What would you recommend ?

User
Posted 14 Nov 2018 at 21:59
Hello David,

When consultants offer differing advice it's difficult to decide which way to go.

I did not not have a Prostatectomy but had to make a similar decision on whether to have HT with HIFU for failed RT. One hospital wanted to put me on HT whereas the hospital that referred me for the HIFU recommended I did not have the HT (which is what I preferred). I obtained the opinion of 2 other hospitals who on examining my scans and histology felt the HT was not necessary so I did not have it. It was comparatively easy for me to do this within our NHS but getting another opinion in the US may involve agreement of your insurers or addition expense. In the UK it is more common to have HT with RT where needed for unsuccessful

Prostatectomy but I don't think anybody on this forum is able to give you an individualized recommendation due to not being qualified or in a position to know the reasoning of your clinicians based on their assessment of your case.

Barry
User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 15:59
Hi, David - I had a similar pathway to yourself, although my PSA didn’t start to rise again until about 18 months post RT (see profile). When the decision was made for me to begin SRT, I did ask my Oncologist about accompanying my microwaving with HT as well, but her view was that the longer HT is delayed then the longer time it gives the patient before the cancer cells regroup and eventually overcome the HT. The SRT went extremely well with no complications, but unfortunately, some 9 months after the SRT finished, I now have some bowel urgency and rectal bleeding which I’ve been told is a common side-effect of the radiotherapy.

Hope the above is of some help to you.

David

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 18:53
Thanks for the good advise regarding Hormone Therapy being included with my radiation. My doctor emphasized the fact that radiation treatment, following radical prostrate surgery, has been successful for many years and only recently has HT come into the picture. The combination might increase my life expectancy a few years (maybe I die at 95 instead of 90 - but who is counting ?) But my quality of life might not be as good with all the side effects of HT.

David

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 19:15
Sorry, might have misled you when I said I initially had RT ... that should have been the Radical Prosectamy procedure.