Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Need I be concerned

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 13:53

Hello everyone,

One year ago my PSA was .3 & I was reasonably happy, having had many blood test since then it has risen to 1.6  , I will be seeing my oncologist at the end of this month, is there a cause to be concerned & expect more treatment , anyone with similar experience. 

James

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 14:38
I would expect more treatment, probably HT initially. Ask for a scan to see what is going on, I would.

Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 19:32

Since you still have a prostate Arthur biochemical recurrence is generally accepted that when PSA reaches 2 but for men who have had a prostatectomy it is 0.2 as there isn’t a prostate there.

I am assuming that James had a prostatectomy.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 19:41
My post op psa was 1.5 and rapidly climbing with a doubling time of 9 weeks. They offered RT but I’ve refused 4 times now as with that result they suspected further spread. This seems possible in your case as you’ve had SRT but now it’s climbing again already. My psa is expected to be over 100 in January and I’m having zero treatment as scans indicate nothing. I’ll hold off HT and Chemo as long as possible as enjoying recovery. Ask for a PET scan
User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 19:47
I am sorry to see this James. I think the oncologist will explain that this means there are no other curative treatments that they can offer you but that hormone treatment and possibly chemo can be used to control it.

It seems that you have a particularly determined cancer :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 14:38
I would expect more treatment, probably HT initially. Ask for a scan to see what is going on, I would.

Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 19:32

Since you still have a prostate Arthur biochemical recurrence is generally accepted that when PSA reaches 2 but for men who have had a prostatectomy it is 0.2 as there isn’t a prostate there.

I am assuming that James had a prostatectomy.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 19:41
My post op psa was 1.5 and rapidly climbing with a doubling time of 9 weeks. They offered RT but I’ve refused 4 times now as with that result they suspected further spread. This seems possible in your case as you’ve had SRT but now it’s climbing again already. My psa is expected to be over 100 in January and I’m having zero treatment as scans indicate nothing. I’ll hold off HT and Chemo as long as possible as enjoying recovery. Ask for a PET scan
User
Posted 15 Nov 2018 at 19:47
I am sorry to see this James. I think the oncologist will explain that this means there are no other curative treatments that they can offer you but that hormone treatment and possibly chemo can be used to control it.

It seems that you have a particularly determined cancer :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard