I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Advanced PSA result concern

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 12:01

To give you a little background - I was diagnosed in May 2018 and had radical Prostatectomy in July 2018 at the age of 54yrs.

My first advanced PSA results were undetectable and for me a massive confdience booster, however I have just received my 2nd blood result and I am very concerned that an increase in the prostate antigen has been detected?

How can the prostate antigens increase when you have no prostate?

What else could be causing this increase if it’s not the prostate Or escaped cancer cells?

i am besides myself with worry, I’ve been told to wait until the next results in February (3 months!!) before they make any decision - Sorry but I can’t wait 3 months.

Since my surgery it has been one thing after another, I just need a couple of trouble & worry free months to allow me to calm down a little.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 12:53
What were your figures exactly ?? I’m afraid the worry never seems to go away , even for the people who seem cured or in full remission. I’m 51 now and full surgery yet my psa is expected to be over 100 in January. I definitely have cancer growing elsewhere but it’s not been found yet. If you have a very small rise , it’s likely to be cells left behind after the operation in the prostate area and you may be offered radiotherapy to kill these off
User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 14:34

It’s undetectable so chill out!

Any remnants of cancer cells following a prostate excision can continue to produce PSA, which is why you are subject to regular PSA tests. As you are currently AOK, make the most of it.

My PSA this month at the number 1 cancer hospital in Britain, The Royal Marsden, was 0.04, which is as low as their biochemists can test to. So I no longer have cancer, just like you.

What should concern you is if you have several consecutive increases in PSA, over many months or years. When and if it ever gets to 0.2 you might have more to worry about.

Best of luck for the future anyway.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 24 Nov 2018 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 23:57

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

post surgery my first blood test showed an undetectable level, I had my 2nd result on Friday and it has shown an increase to 0.03 (nothing much but still an increase).

my original question was - If you no longer have a prostat, HOW can you be generating the prostate antigens no matter how small the increase?

Because other organs in your body also produce tiny amounts of PSA, as do any healthy prostate cells that have been left behind. That's why they don't consider you to have a problem unless your PSA goes over 0.1 and then rises again after that. At the minute, your PSA of 0.03 is about the same as a woman that is breastfeeding, and a little higher than a woman that has just had an orgasm. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 12:53
What were your figures exactly ?? I’m afraid the worry never seems to go away , even for the people who seem cured or in full remission. I’m 51 now and full surgery yet my psa is expected to be over 100 in January. I definitely have cancer growing elsewhere but it’s not been found yet. If you have a very small rise , it’s likely to be cells left behind after the operation in the prostate area and you may be offered radiotherapy to kill these off
User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 13:05

Hi Chris,

i see your posts on here a lot, you are a fantastic supporter to others even though you are clearly really going through it.

post surgery had a Gleason score of 7 (The new group 3).

post surgery my first blood test showed an undetectable level, I had my 2nd result on Friday and it has shown an increase to 0.03 (nothing much but still an increase).

my original question was - If you no longer have a prostat, HOW can you be generating the prostate antigens no matter how small the increase?

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 14:34

It’s undetectable so chill out!

Any remnants of cancer cells following a prostate excision can continue to produce PSA, which is why you are subject to regular PSA tests. As you are currently AOK, make the most of it.

My PSA this month at the number 1 cancer hospital in Britain, The Royal Marsden, was 0.04, which is as low as their biochemists can test to. So I no longer have cancer, just like you.

What should concern you is if you have several consecutive increases in PSA, over many months or years. When and if it ever gets to 0.2 you might have more to worry about.

Best of luck for the future anyway.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 24 Nov 2018 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 15:46
Hi Alan,

As Chris has said, it would help us if you obtain and post under your bio your PSA on diagnosis, along with Gleason score and staging. We will then have a better understanding of where you are and if you add to this from time to time we can more meaningfully comment within our limitations. Doing this will also provide you with a record of your progress.

The title of your thread is somewhat confusing when you mentioned 'Advanced' PSA result. With 'Advanced' we normally think of this as a measure of how far the cancer has progressed, ie 'locally advanced' or 'advanced' on it's own where in the latter case the cancer has spread outside the Prostate or the removed Prostate. I take it that by 'Advanced' you meant early PSA test. Just to clarify.

Sometimes a few cancer cells can remain after Prostatectomy, even microscopic ones. Did the surgeon say anything about clear margins? Where it appears that there are still some remaining cancer cells in the Prostate bed or close by, most likely evidenced by rising PSA, sometimes RT possibly with HT is often prescribed.

Barry
User
Posted 24 Nov 2018 at 23:57

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Because other organs in your body also produce tiny amounts of PSA, as do any healthy prostate cells that have been left behind. That's why they don't consider you to have a problem unless your PSA goes over 0.1 and then rises again after that. At the minute, your PSA of 0.03 is about the same as a woman that is breastfeeding, and a little higher than a woman that has just had an orgasm. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard