I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help?? Husband was diagnosed in Jan 18 confused

User
Posted 25 Nov 2018 at 20:15

My husband was diagnosed in Jan 18 with advanced prostate cancer with a Gleason 9 (4-5)... t2c threatening t3a ... he has been on hormone treatment Prostap 3 monthly had 6 courses of chemo and 4 weeks daily of radiotherapy. He was also diagnosed after a lot of sitting on the fence with metastatic Cancer in the L4 back/spine..after several types of scan including one at the London clinic  They wouldn’t operate as they said the tumour was touching the walls and they where worried that the cancer would just spread if removed.. he had another MRI recently and they are saying they couldn’t see anything on the L4!! We are just scared that they are missing something should we be worried not seeing oncologist for two months.. he is struggling with quite a bit of pain in his back..help what does everyone think or are we worrybig to much Last PSA is 0.006... 

User
Posted 25 Nov 2018 at 21:22
Not sure why you would be worried? It seems that the chemo has knocked the tumour at L4 into submission, or at least it has shrunk enough not to be seen on a normal MRI which is entirely possible (as you say it took some fancy machines to diagnose it at all!)

The PSA result is fantastic - it is easy to assume that every ache and pain is to do with the cancer but perhaps he just has a normal back problem, is sleeping awkwardly, sitting down much more than he used to, has been lifting heavy items or has some kidney infection? Worth a chat with the GP I think.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 01:09
Did he have a Gallium 68 PSMA scan in London privately (£2600)? That is about the most advanced scan around.

Look it up.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 06:45
With a PSA of 0.006 and following advice I recently had they would in all likelihood be wasting their money. As Lyn says whatever was seen previously on the spine seems to have been dealt with by the HT/Chemo if indeed it was PCa in the first place.

Jennie the results so far sound positive and it looks like the treatment is working well

Bri

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 17:44

Yes he had one last December and that said the L4 was metastic but the CT scan this time said they couldn’t see any