I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy for advanced cancer

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 12:43

Following on from conversations (JMG 59) on another thread, my husband was also offered the possibility of radiotherapy at his last appointment in October. This was during the week before the published results in the press from trials in London. He has had a scan to see if he will be suitable (mets in pelvic bone and lymph). Although  initially pleased that we were being offered another treatment, after chemo, whilst still at low PSA of 0.05, we do have concerns about benefit versus possible side effects from radiotherapy. Decision time in new year so will be interested in feedback on radiotherapy treatments and any possible problems, such as incontinence, remaining after treatment. Realise this is new territory for those with spread.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 12:43

Following on from conversations (JMG 59) on another thread, my husband was also offered the possibility of radiotherapy at his last appointment in October. This was during the week before the published results in the press from trials in London. He has had a scan to see if he will be suitable (mets in pelvic bone and lymph). Although  initially pleased that we were being offered another treatment, after chemo, whilst still at low PSA of 0.05, we do have concerns about benefit versus possible side effects from radiotherapy. Decision time in new year so will be interested in feedback on radiotherapy treatments and any possible problems, such as incontinence, remaining after treatment. Realise this is new territory for those with spread.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 12:51

Hi,

We've just returned from the hospital after a discussion about radiotherapy.

Generally well tolerated especially in comparison to chemo. Main concern is some possible damage to bladder and bowel so husband advised to do pelvic floor exercise beforehand 

Still need to read leaflet given with more info 

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 15:19
Suelor,

If the scan shows the mets are gone, I assume RT will be used. The thing to make sure of, in discussions with the oncologist, is what steps will they take to ensure that the RT is well directed and does not put the bowel and bladder at risk of receiving overflow radiation.

If they do this well, there should be no significant side effects, but some men report tiredness.

AC

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 17:03

Hi Suelor

Im in the same boat, finish Chemo in January and Onco proposing RT in March.

I'm going away on holiday at the end of February and having a think about it while imI away. I know a guy who's bladder got buggered by RT and he's up 10 times a night for a wee so need to guage if risk is worth it so be useful to hear comments from folk on here.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 17:26

The side effects from radiotherapy depend on the dose, the number of fractions and the site. There will be more side effects from a long course (mine was 37 fractions) irradiating the whole of the prostate (and the lower end of the bladder) than from radiotherapy to isolated bone metastases - these can be from one to five doses usually (again depending on the dose and fractionation). Also, some side effects will be acute and some chronic if you get any.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 12:51

Hi,

We've just returned from the hospital after a discussion about radiotherapy.

Generally well tolerated especially in comparison to chemo. Main concern is some possible damage to bladder and bowel so husband advised to do pelvic floor exercise beforehand 

Still need to read leaflet given with more info 

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 15:19
Suelor,

If the scan shows the mets are gone, I assume RT will be used. The thing to make sure of, in discussions with the oncologist, is what steps will they take to ensure that the RT is well directed and does not put the bowel and bladder at risk of receiving overflow radiation.

If they do this well, there should be no significant side effects, but some men report tiredness.

AC

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 17:03

Hi Suelor

Im in the same boat, finish Chemo in January and Onco proposing RT in March.

I'm going away on holiday at the end of February and having a think about it while imI away. I know a guy who's bladder got buggered by RT and he's up 10 times a night for a wee so need to guage if risk is worth it so be useful to hear comments from folk on here.

User
Posted 26 Nov 2018 at 17:26

The side effects from radiotherapy depend on the dose, the number of fractions and the site. There will be more side effects from a long course (mine was 37 fractions) irradiating the whole of the prostate (and the lower end of the bladder) than from radiotherapy to isolated bone metastases - these can be from one to five doses usually (again depending on the dose and fractionation). Also, some side effects will be acute and some chronic if you get any.