I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HDR Brachy Completed

User
Posted 30 Nov 2018 at 18:26

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/varian-unveils-new-bravos-afterloader-system-for-brachytherapy-treatments-300734669.html

So HDR brachy completed yesterday at my local hospital. I was the first to receive this new treatment at my local hospital on a new afterloader system for HDR brachy.

So for me it was an overnight stay in hospital as the first prostate patient on the new piece of kit. Onco advised it all went to plan.

Discharged today and home and feeling fine. Next step CT planning scan next Tuesday and then 15 sessions of radiotherapy over Christmas and the New Year period.

Without the HDR brachy it would have been 37 sessions of radiotherapy which would have been a long haul.

Edited by member 30 Nov 2018 at 23:01  | Reason: Amend link

User
Posted 01 Dec 2018 at 00:34
Brill - this will be a sober New Year’s Eve then?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Jan 2019 at 21:38

So that's the 15 sessions of radiotherapy completed today. The worst part of that was the timing of the full bladder, especially when the sessions were slightly late and waiting for the session to commence feeling uncomfortable with a full bladder.

Touch wood no real adverse side effects to date.

Next stop 3rd 12 weekly Zoladex injection tomorrow and then a further PSA blood test in approx 8 weeks prior to next consultation with onco.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2019 at 21:58
Hi not been on here for a while so glad I found your post I'm due my 3rd hormone injection on 7th of Feb and I am waiting to start brachytherapy and then 15 sessions of radio therapy was a bit worried about brachytherapy but after reading your post feel a lot less concerned so thank you for posting how it went for you and good luck with your recover.
User
Posted 24 Jan 2019 at 08:10

That’s good your radiotherapy has gone to plan. You’ll be glad the daily joutneys are over.

No more sitting wondering if yiu can hołd on when the treatment session is delayed!

I know that feeling well.

Ido4

User
Posted 25 Jan 2019 at 19:53

The HD brachy was personally very straight forward. Worked Wednesday, brachy Thursday, out of hospital Friday, walked to the footy Saturday, easy days Sunday and Monday, radiotherapy planning scan Tuesday and back to work Wednesday.

Two and a half weeks post radiotherapy and apart from a slight bit of constipation, feeling ok. Worked right through the 15 sessions of radiotherapy. No fatigue issues during the day, but tending to hit the sack earlier in the evening.

The biggest bugbear for me currently is nocturia which kicked in about 7 months ago after I started hormone therapy.

If all goes to plan then will be on hormone therapy for a total of 18 months according to my onco, so rest of 2019 to go.

Edited by member 25 Jan 2019 at 19:53  | Reason: Spelling