I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Mushrooms

User
Posted 30 Nov 2018 at 20:35

Has anyone tried mushroom supplements, I’m only asking as I read about a small clinical trial. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cncr.29421

It looks very interesting but as always it pays to be a bit cynical. 

Thanks

Edited by moderator 06 Jul 2023 at 13:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 10:25
Hi Paul

I think there is considerable interest in nutrition and diet within this forum. Yes there are some who are not interested but many including myself who are. I for one would appreciate it if you share such info.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 09:30

Morning Mick, 

Thanks for posting the study on mushrooms. Hope you don't mind the private message and please accept my apologies if you do. The reason is, I don't find much interest from fellow forum members regarding nutritional intervention. I read it with much interest as I believe what we consume can affect this disease to some degree. A lot of well organised studies have been conducted using many and varied foods. Thanks again, and I wish you well for the future Mick.

All the best, Paul.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 13:21

Good afternoon,

The particular studies regarding PCa and diet/lifestyle that I found most informative (and hopeful) were the ones undertaken by Dean Ornish and endorsed by Dr Michael Greger. One of the aspects of this study looked at the impact of stress and PCa. I realised that I definitely needed to change my life wherever feasible to lessen my own stress. Prior to receiving my cancer diagnosis I retired in July 2014 and immediately felt better, but within a year, in July 2015, I'd had a prostatectomy. Since then, I have made other changes, that have made my life uncluttered and the difference I feel is really evident despite copying with disease recurrence and subsequent SRT. My relationship with my partner in some ways, but not all I'm sorry to say,has become less stressful. I'm aware that some stress is normal, even preferable, and I'll never know if mine was instrumental in getting PCa, but I certainly know that how I now feel makes the future more copable. I also will never know if my diet is having any effect on cancer progression, but I'm happy and well nourished in adopting it. 

Take care, Paul.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2018 at 18:47

I take chinese medicine , 32 herbs twice a day and have reishi mushroom powder twice daily plus accupuncture

i also have pomi-t

baby asprin

vitamin d

tumeric and black pepper

pommegrannate juice

magnesium

matcha green tea

vit B4 as mainly vegan

as well as abiraterone ( 3 years now).

psa 0.06, still running ultra marathons. i have no idea if i am destined to die on say 12th april 2019 but i have been doing the above for 3 years and am now over 4 years into a t4 gleeson 9 n1m1a diagnosis. the self mecication may make no difference at all but it has got me this far so i care not stop!

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 09:30

Morning Mick, 

Thanks for posting the study on mushrooms. Hope you don't mind the private message and please accept my apologies if you do. The reason is, I don't find much interest from fellow forum members regarding nutritional intervention. I read it with much interest as I believe what we consume can affect this disease to some degree. A lot of well organised studies have been conducted using many and varied foods. Thanks again, and I wish you well for the future Mick.

All the best, Paul.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 10:25
Hi Paul

I think there is considerable interest in nutrition and diet within this forum. Yes there are some who are not interested but many including myself who are. I for one would appreciate it if you share such info.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 17:16

Hi, I’m glad I’m not the only one interested in using diet and supplements to help with my fight with this disease.
I take Pomo-t
Turmeric
Pomegranate juice
CBD oil
and make sure I get plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Ever since my diagnosis I have continued to train and keep fit.
I’m very interested it what everyone else is doing.

Edited by member 03 Dec 2018 at 17:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 01:39
David takes Pomi-t, cannabis oil, a mushroom compound, and we grow most of our own organic veggies, we eat cooked tomatoes by the dish full, no red meat, very little dairy, fish and chicken. Very interested in diet and alternative treatments to compliment his other meds and treatments.
User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 13:21

Good afternoon,

The particular studies regarding PCa and diet/lifestyle that I found most informative (and hopeful) were the ones undertaken by Dean Ornish and endorsed by Dr Michael Greger. One of the aspects of this study looked at the impact of stress and PCa. I realised that I definitely needed to change my life wherever feasible to lessen my own stress. Prior to receiving my cancer diagnosis I retired in July 2014 and immediately felt better, but within a year, in July 2015, I'd had a prostatectomy. Since then, I have made other changes, that have made my life uncluttered and the difference I feel is really evident despite copying with disease recurrence and subsequent SRT. My relationship with my partner in some ways, but not all I'm sorry to say,has become less stressful. I'm aware that some stress is normal, even preferable, and I'll never know if mine was instrumental in getting PCa, but I certainly know that how I now feel makes the future more copable. I also will never know if my diet is having any effect on cancer progression, but I'm happy and well nourished in adopting it. 

Take care, Paul.

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 16:34
I have been eating a lot of mushrooms this last couple of months and have started taking them as a supplement, well I have just had my latest psa results and my psa is down from 1.9 to 1.6. I can’t claim that’s a massive difference but anything that’s not up is good with me! I intend to continue to see what the next 3 months bring, I have also just had my 3 year anniversary of being diagnosed so feel like I’m entering the danger zone and keep expecting my results to change for the worse.

Staying Strong

User
Posted 21 Dec 2018 at 18:47

I take chinese medicine , 32 herbs twice a day and have reishi mushroom powder twice daily plus accupuncture

i also have pomi-t

baby asprin

vitamin d

tumeric and black pepper

pommegrannate juice

magnesium

matcha green tea

vit B4 as mainly vegan

as well as abiraterone ( 3 years now).

psa 0.06, still running ultra marathons. i have no idea if i am destined to die on say 12th april 2019 but i have been doing the above for 3 years and am now over 4 years into a t4 gleeson 9 n1m1a diagnosis. the self mecication may make no difference at all but it has got me this far so i care not stop!

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 22 Dec 2018 at 17:32
Whilst not quite up to the ultra marathon standard I do train daily and have run a couple of half marathons, I firmly believe that going to the gym and running have greatly improved my quality of life. It’s always difficult to quantify these things but increasingly science is catching up with it, and it is now generally believed to have real benefits as to life expectancy and not just dealing with the side effects of ADT. I really fancy a big challenge for next year, I’m down to do the 3 peaks and my 3rd half marathon, but wouldn’t mind doing something a bit more exciting!

At the moment I’m just on Prostat having had chemotherapy early 2016.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2018 at 09:21

Yes, ive read a lot sbout them. i take them all kinds regularly. not sure if theyre doing sny good but if you dont take it, youll never know.

User
Posted 07 Sep 2019 at 17:42

Just come across this article about mushrooms and prostate cancer, very interesting.  
https://apple.news/AMihzoKBJSMiSIpM8ErR2jQ

Edited by moderator 19 Oct 2023 at 15:37  | Reason: Not specified