I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Different experiences and possible ways forward

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 12:15

I am a newbie to the Prostate Cancer NHS Case load and to this idea of talking about cancer on line

I am 76 and a Type 2 Diabetic with Heart problems

I was diagnosed in October 2018 PSA 99 then 67 T2

Biopsie resultsnot good at all but the good news is The Very Active Cancer hasn't spread.

What a relief !

After two months of "What next?" Wait and See "More tests then a scan' wait and see - seem to have been very lucky with a quick, kind  and efficient team

Decision of now Active Watching and waiting - seeing a consultant in January after another PSA.

I am now planning to move my life forward again - hooray for such a rapid response from the Treliske Urology.

As a matter of interest I did the Sloan Kettering thing and according to the statistic analysis - PROBABILITY

The good news is that I have a TWO percent chance of dying from untreated prostate cancer in ten years

The bad new is that I have an 88 percent chance of dying of some thing else

The really good news is that means I have ten percent chance of living ten years - possibly much more than I can reasonably expect.

So I am saying that, while it is sometimes difficult and the inevitable periods of depression are not good, there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel for most of us.

With the help from a supportive partner aka my wife I am still progressing - A quick cuddle always helps us both!

regards

Mervyn

If you find any more sad links to Kierkegard words of wisdom - for crying out loud, be a bit more optimistic and original

Proverb - Statistics are brilliant - especially if you know the answer you want before you start

Edit
Delete

User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 12:37
What happened to your earlier post and my reply to you regarding the MSK Nomogram prognostications?
User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 14:39
I tried starting a new thread as you suggested and it seems to have disappeared into the ether
Therefore I have revamped my comments a bit and tried again
Your comments about MSK Nomogram are correct.
As I think I mentioned, Statistics can often be what you want - perhaps I should have been clearer
Someone cleverer than me once
said
There are Lies
Damned Lies
and
Statistics

I actually used statistical analysis for many years - most were mainly correct guidance but were very dependent on the information base and size of sample and asking the right questions in the first place
Personal interpretation and bias notwithstanding of course.
I found it comforting to have a bit more knowledge of life expectancy forecasts - but remembered that they are forecasts and therefore not specific enough to be relied on
Hope that clarifies things a bit
Mervyn
User
Posted 03 Dec 2018 at 17:05
Hi Mervyn,

What I said originally was that the Memorial Sloane Kettering Hospital in America’s Nomograms (which everyone seems to use) are statistical prognostications (think Mystic Meg) based on data up to fifteen years old.

The PCa branch of medicine is advancing rapidly, almost by the month, so take whatever forecast the Nomogram returns with a pinch of salt, and don’t bet your life on it 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂.

Sometimes I even make myself laugh.

Cheers, John.