I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Suspicious MRI scans and negative biopsies

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 19:39

I'm interested to hear any similar experiences people may have had to me, and any advice people can give. Particularly as I'm seeing the urologist this Thursday.

I'm 55 and so far my story is:

March 2018:
PSA test of 5.1, referred to urologist

April:
DRE which showed that my prostate was enlarged and felt irregular.
MRI showed suspicious “charcoaling” around the edge of the prostate, which appears to show possible disease and a breach of the capsule at the top of the left apex.
TRUS biopsy that was negative.

October:
PSA risen to 7.3.

November:
Transperineal biopsy that was negative.

If the MRI had been clear I would probably not be posting on here, but the fact that it shows something irregular leaves me concerned that both biopsies may have missed something. Obviously I don't want them to find anything but I also don't want them to miss anything, so any advice would be appreciated.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 21:05
With a suspicious finding on MRI at the edge of the gland, an irregular prostate on DRE, and a rising PSA I would be asking what they think the suspicious area is and could the biopsies have missed their target?

I would be asking what their thoughts were on a PSA rise from 5.1 to 7.3 in six or seven months.

Depending on their response I would be asking for further scanning to clarify what the suspicious area is and maybe looking for a second opinion.

Because the suspicious area may be breaching the capsule I would push getting more answers.

My tuppence worth, good luck Thursday.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 04 Dec 2018 at 21:48
If the template biopsy was done after the MRI and was clear, the shady area could just be infection / inflammation.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 14:53
How many cores were sampled in your transperineal biopsy?

Clearly something is not quite right, and hopefully your your urologist will be able to shed more light on your situation tomorrow.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 20:44

Thanks for the comments, they were useful and have helped me gather my thoughts.  

Special thanks too, to LynEyre for all her comments and advice throughout the forum.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 21:36
We will all have our fingers crossed for you tomorrow.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Apr 2023 at 20:21
It's been 5 years and my PSA has risen to 12, so I had another MRI which unsurprisingly showed an abnormality on the left side of my prostate where an MRI 5 years ago shared an anomaly. So I'm having my third prostate biopsy this weekend. I've had a TRUS biopsy and a template biopsy. This time it's an ultrasound transperineal biopsy to complete the set.

I feel a little pessimistic because there's obviously something not right with my prostate and I wasn't give any kind of diagnosis last time, other than we didn't find cancer. Obviously that is what I'd like to hear again, but it would be reassurring to know to have a diagnosis if it isn't.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2023 at 03:04

My 1st MRI scan showed bilateral small peripheral zone abnormalities and 1st 12 core biopsy turned negative. The MDT diagnosed mismatch between MRI and biopsy. They ordered to repeat biopsy (24 cores) which turned out to be G7.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2023 at 13:01

Biopsy over with.

What's thrown me is that afterwards the consultant said he was booking me in for a CT bone scan. Is that a new standard procedure? It didn't happen with the previous two biopsies, so obviously I'm concerned that the ultrasound gave him cause for concern.

Edited by member 30 Apr 2023 at 13:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Apr 2023 at 13:53

A Bone scan is common after MRI  and biopsy to aid in getting a full picture of what may be going on.

P.

User
Posted 02 May 2023 at 00:47

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Biopsy over with.

What's thrown me is that afterwards the consultant said he was booking me in for a CT bone scan. Is that a new standard procedure? It didn't happen with the previous two biopsies, so obviously I'm concerned that the ultrasound gave him cause for concern.

You are right to be a little bit concerned. It is not normal practice to order a bone scan for a man who has not yet been diagnosed with cancer. It is a little odd (and in my view, poor practice) for the consultant to order bone scans without explaining to you why.