Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

5 years on and still clear

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 09:49

Hi

i had my final 6 monthly blood test results yesterday and still undetectable. The hospital has officially discharged me and i will have have an annual test at doctors . 5 years since diagnosis but seems like ten at least!! the initial thought of 5 years of tests and checking seemed daunting .but after the first few successful tests  i started to carry on with my life.

I had da vinci op and very pleased i made this decision.

Took me about 4 months before i returned to work as i have physical job and another 2 months before i worked 100% . i am a bit of a fitness fanatic so returned to gym after one month but only did walking on a jogging machine. did lots of walking in first few months inside and out!! but took 6 months before i felt i could return to normal gym work without any risk

after a few awkward months the problem of incontinence stopped. i do have occasional leaks but they are  small.

overall i feel fine and probably doing more than i did 5 years ago. i was lucky in that the cancer was found just in time as it had started to spread when i had my op. yet i had no symptoms and it was only found due to a general check up after a mystery chest infection which had no link to the cancer.

yesterday was a day of relief more than celebration. I never expected to get cancer in the first place(no symptoms and no family history) and i know that it can always return. So i cannot fully relax but i am very happy to be able to share some good news

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 10:01

Always nice to read good news and it doesn't really get any better than this. Thanks for sharing.

Kevan 

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 10:35

Great to hear your good news

Ulsterman

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 11:16

That is fantastic news, I can imagine how you must feel.

Thank you for posting, we're just starting out on this journey, and stories like yours really helps us carry on.

Good luck for the future, enjoy the rest of your life.

Michaela x

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 11:22

Brilliant news John! 

I'll be coming up for 5 years undetectable ( PSA <0.01 in my case ) in June 2019....so I'm keeping me fingers crossed for that one... 

Meantime, like you,I'm getting on with life and put PSA tests to the back of my mind until a week or so before the result is due

Thanks for sharing 

Best Wishes 
Luther

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 13:07

Great to hear good news John

Two years coming up for me in February, hope to follow in your footsteps.

All the best with the rest of your life

Cheers
Bill

Edited by member 05 Dec 2018 at 16:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 17:09

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

This message board has been a great help to me especially in the first year of diagnosis and treatment.

I know its a place to get information and  exchange experiences. It can also be a place where men are having a tough time and struggling with this cancer. But also i think its important to give hope to men recently diagnosed who will go through the initial truama and shock. We need lots of good news stories.Our local support group are full of men who have been diagnosed and recovered and leading good lives. So this cancer can be beaten and there is plenty of hope.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 17:12
Brilliant - congratulations
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 18:54

Happy 5th anniversary.  Buy yourself a tree! 

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 21:53

Great news, John!

All the best, 

Steve 

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 08:57

Always good to hear great news