Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

More evidence that mpMRI should precede biopsy

User
User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 22:19
In John's case, the MRI was to stage the cancer - so looking at whether it was contained. John's MRI was clear which was why they gave him a T1a although surgery proved it to be a T3 and a weird cancer that simply didn't show up on scans. In all likelihood, his dad also had a weird one as he was staged T2 (we think) but died from soft organ spread despite a falling PSA.

Different times :-(
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 08:15
You need the full staging results from the biopsy before you can make any decisions. So it a waiting game for now I'm afraid.
User
Posted 25 Apr 2019 at 19:50
Another great example of why CCGs must not be allowed to use mpMRI alone to determine whether or not a biopsy is needed.

Congratulations on your all-clear
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 20:19
There is nothing new here though - everyone knows it is a good idea but there is no recommendation that the government should ensure all hospitals have enough money to purchase the capacity, or any new data that will force NICE to say that every hospital must work towards PROMIS standard in the next 3 years or anything else that would actually make any difference to men’s experience of diagnosis right now.

Until either NICE or DoH wade in, it is pie in the sky.
User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 21:56

Lyn

When I was diagnosed five years ago and your own oh before that, was the MRI scan post biopsy to look at the prostate or was it to look for signs of spread in the surrounding area?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 22:19
In John's case, the MRI was to stage the cancer - so looking at whether it was contained. John's MRI was clear which was why they gave him a T1a although surgery proved it to be a T3 and a weird cancer that simply didn't show up on scans. In all likelihood, his dad also had a weird one as he was staged T2 (we think) but died from soft organ spread despite a falling PSA.

Different times :-(
User
Posted 05 Dec 2018 at 23:13
You can see trust by trust what percentage of men are getting a MpMRI per trust but not the order they got it.. big variances though

https://www.npca.org.uk/provider-results/trust/university-hospitals-coventry-and-warwickshire-nhs-trust/#data-quality

I picked Walsgrave as an example.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 00:45

For all its faults (car parking, overcrowding), Walsgrave (the billion-pound University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire) have done right by me.

mpMRI done first, template biopsy in short order after I turned down a TRUS, meeting with consultant and team for ‘Dear John’ news, TWOC procedure and post-operative follow ups, etc.

I just feel sorry for all the staff who have to struggle to drive in and out of the bloody place and then try to find somewhere to park, every day of their working lives. Add 45-60 minutes on to the working day just for that. I used to commute the hundred miles from Coventry to London in 58 minutes.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 06 Dec 2018 at 01:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 16:37
Just sent for Moderator approval today relevant news announcement under 'Revolution on Prostate Cancer Care' .
Barry
User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 01:50

63 yrs old had MP MRI scan with PI-RAD score 4 to 5 
PSA 20 
Just had Turp op and biopsy today (so still in hospital right now - Can’t sleep 2am in morning)

the biopsy done in the suspect area, awaiting results of biopsy in a weeks time

can someone advise me of the likely outcome based on their experience wrt to my scores above please

i am not expecting good news so resigned to a philosophy of It is what it is and good management after I hope

Regards

john

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 08:15
You need the full staging results from the biopsy before you can make any decisions. So it a waiting game for now I'm afraid.
User
Posted 25 Apr 2019 at 19:14

Just got results today, seen my surgeon, he says the MRI focused biopsy results showed no cancer, thank goodness, but showed active acute prostatitis. I was looking for a correlation between Mp-MRI scanning PI-RAD 5 score versus biopsy results. My situation showed the expected PIRAD 5 prediction (significant malignant cancer) did not translate to that in real life. It must say something about the interpretation of the Mp-MRI scans. I am thankful for my unexpected outcome, I was resigned to the predicted outcome.

regards

John

User
Posted 25 Apr 2019 at 19:50
Another great example of why CCGs must not be allowed to use mpMRI alone to determine whether or not a biopsy is needed.

Congratulations on your all-clear