I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI and high PSA but examination ok

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 10:33

hinrecently i had a high PSA and had examination nurse told me it felt fine but due to me worrying sent me for MRI waiting to see consultant but was told on the phone they probably won’t do biopsy but found something and I would need to talk to consultant what could this be really worried thanks 

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 14:29

Julian

If you had a MRI scan, check if it was a mpMRI (multi-parametric).  If so, it produces a PIRAD score.  Mine produced a PIRAD score of 5, meaning that clinically significant cancer was highly likely to be found on biopsy.  So, if you've had one of these scans, based on the score, they may feel little need to proceed with biopsy.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 12:24
You might have a urinary tract infection or benign prostate hyperplasia, either could be the ‘something’ mentioned, and I would infer it’s likely good news that a biopsy is probably not your next step.

I am afraid that you will have to wait until your appointment and try not to worry too much about it. Easier said than done, of course.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 15:48
Julian, how high was your PSA?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 12:24
You might have a urinary tract infection or benign prostate hyperplasia, either could be the ‘something’ mentioned, and I would infer it’s likely good news that a biopsy is probably not your next step.

I am afraid that you will have to wait until your appointment and try not to worry too much about it. Easier said than done, of course.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 14:29

Julian

If you had a MRI scan, check if it was a mpMRI (multi-parametric).  If so, it produces a PIRAD score.  Mine produced a PIRAD score of 5, meaning that clinically significant cancer was highly likely to be found on biopsy.  So, if you've had one of these scans, based on the score, they may feel little need to proceed with biopsy.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 15:48
Julian, how high was your PSA?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 07:20

hi could you tell me what the different MRI’s are? I had a dye injected thanks 

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 11:57
How high was your PSA?

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 12:23

hi it was 9 and I was told it should be 41/2 for my age today had appt for scan results and apparently this came back inconclusive as the prostrate normally shows up a light colour on the scan but mine showed up dark they want to do biopsies under general has anyone else had this thanks

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 16:12
Okay so that is a template biopsy, should be detailed enough to tell you one way or another.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 17:14

Sorry to be a damp squib, but there is evidently something still concerning your urologist, hence your biopsy.

The template / target biopsy is the best one to have, albeit under a general anaesthetic, which doesn’t suit everyone.

I breezed through mine and discharged myself (against doctor’s orders - he wanted to keep me in overnight - no consultants in sight, but he was newly qualified and had never had a patient do a runner before!).

I was in and out in about five hours, including waiting to go to theatre. Apart from pissing razor blades for the first couple of micturitions, rosé urine, pink semen for a week or so, and battered and bruised bollocks, it was not a big deal.

Except when they told me I had cancer......

Hope it all turns out for the best in your case.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 10 Dec 2018 at 17:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Dec 2018 at 08:56

thank you everyone just want to get this done and find out either way what concerns me is the fact the consultant said the prostrate was showing dark on mri when it is usually a light colour fingers crossed won’t take long for appt