I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HIFU as a first treatment

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 19:07

Our 58 year old friend has been diagnosed with PCa. He had a PSA of 4.35 & the biopsy showed a Gleason 3+4. The gentleman at UCLH has suggested he has HIFU in January & said there's an 85% chance of no re-occurrance within 10 years. The surgeon is happy to remove his prostate & he sees the radiologist tomorrow. Has anyone experience of this as a first treatment please?

Abigail

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 23:46

Hi Abigail, 

I think there was a member on this forum who had HIFU as a primary treatment but this is comparatively rare. It is more usual though still not widely given as a salvage therapy for failed Radiotherapy. A man has to meet a more strict criteria to be suitable for HIFU and UCLH is the leading centre for this in the UK. Apart from other considerations, it can in need be repeated or followed by other treatments. HIFU is still regarded as an experimental treatment due to the lack of long term assessment and where done on the NHS is usually within a study (trial). I had HIFI as salvage treatment for failed RT at UCLH in 2015 . This seems to have eradicated the target tumour although another has grown elsewhere in my Prostate. My feeling is that for primary treatment in a suitable prostate Brachytherapy (with or witout the addition of EBRT) or surgery are more proven options but that is not to say HIFU would be prove to be unsuccessful.

Your friend may be interested in this thread about my HIFU experience and follow up. https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10960-HIFU--my-experience#post133611

Edited by member 06 Dec 2018 at 23:50  | Reason: Not specified

Barry