Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Almost time

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 22:11

Hi

My husband is having his bone scan tomorrow, and his prostate removed on Monday, with the robot.  I am just wondering if the results of the scan will be back in time, and if not will it still be okay to go ahead with the surgery?

Also to all of you lovely people that have already gone through this, what would you recommend we need for when hubby is discharged? and is there anything we should be doing in the days before the surgery, we're already doing pelvic floor exercises, but thought i'd read somewhere about taking a stool softener?

Thank you 

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:36

Francij1,

F***...That's exactly what me and my wife did.

I caught 2 trout, my wife hauled in a huge Carp.

Neil

Edited by member 07 Dec 2018 at 16:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:40
Brilliant thats fishing hilarious😁
User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 00:00
Shopping list:

- a bucket to stand the night bag in

- jogging bottoms in sweatshirt type material in a dark colour and preferably with a drawstring waist rather than elasticated (M&S usually has these)

- pants one size bigger than he usually wears. Not boxers - he will in effect be having a vasectomy alongside the RP so his penis and testicles may be very swollen afterwards and pants will give him more support

- ask the hospital whether he will be given instagell or another local anaesthetic to bring home with him; if not, buy some from the chemist. The eye of his penis may get very sore with the catheter rubbing

- a waterproof sheet from Duncombe might not be needed but is reassuring for him when he has the catheter removed. Alternatively, the disposable waterproof pads you can buy at large pet shops.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 01:17
Definitely invest in a mattress protector from somewhere like Dunelm Mills for around a tenner, to avoid sleeping on a map of Tasmania like I do now, as there will be the inevitable ‘accident’ or three.

They inflate the abdomen with gas so Dr Da Vinci can get to work, and all of your intestines are rearranged out of the way, thus interrupting the peristaltic action of the bowel.

It can take a day or two or four for the intestines to sort themselves out after that disruption, so the first fart is a pleasure, and the first jobby even better. If I were having the operation again, I would definitely take a stool softener such as Fibrogel just before ‘nil by mouth’. They gave me a box of Laxido when I was discharged which I didn’t need, but I think that has a similar function.

Don’t go down the pub with the leg bag discharge tap open, so you don’t have to lie to the barmaid, ‘Sorry, I’ve spilled some beer, have you got a mop?’😂

There is a phone app for kegel pelvic floor excercises which someone here recommended, which I downloaded, so worth looking up? I deleted that off my phone because as you know I had a brilliant surgeon and didn’t need to do any exercises as my continence was good, more or less from the start, barring the accident(s) mentioned above.

I can honestly say I have had more pain from a sore throat and from a broken/bruised rib than from my prostatectomy. I asked the surgeon the next day, ‘Why am I not in any pain, where’s my morphine pump?’ (Her Loveliness had one after her hysterectomy, and never having done drugs, I was quite looking forward to trying a medical grade opiate). He said: ‘That’s the benefit of minimally-invasive surgery, you can have some paracetamol if you want’.

So best of luck to your old man next week, and hopefully you can look forward to a cancer-free 2019.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 13:51
Plenty of good advice given. I would also recommend the laxative route as in the early days when still somewhat tender down there, firm stools are an evil that can easily be prevented!

Best wishes for the op!

Nick

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Is there anything we should be doing in the days before the surgery?

Thank you 

f*** like there is no tomorrow!!

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 17:58

That's all a bit of a laugh.  The only things I bought were a decent dressing gown and pyjamas but didn't use either. Ear plugs were useful at night but we already had those.  I spent most time checking the weather forecast and traffic as me and the surgeon would be on the motorway enroute. The hospital provided almost  everything needed including overnight catheter bag stand.  Boots 5 drop pads will stand a tsunami and there was never a nighttime problem.  I drank plenty all the time to soften things, when you wear a catheter it's someone elses problem till you get home. Keep clean before touching anything on the waterworks. 

It was so exciting to get that dashed thing out, operation day was a mixture of eagerness, control and elation. The enforced rest,  being waited on, being brave and pushing progress is enjoyable for a while as well.  The feeling of relief after the op lasted a few weeks. Hope all goes well.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 23:14

Although your OH will be prescribed meds to help combat constipation...might be worth picking up some fybogel.

I took it for several days before my op' and for two weeks after. I had no constipation. Didn't have a bowel movement until two days after op, so worthwhile.

Flannel pyjamas from tesco. Very soft material - essential around the groin/catheter.

Cotton wool to wash around the catheter entry point...Simple Soap and warm water. Urine can bypass catheter during bowel movement. In my case, the urine would sting and irritate the entry point. Rinsing regularly with warm water was a relief.

Instillagel was recommended. Purchased some but didn't use it. Some call it Instagel...ok if you plan on making a jelly or two but wouldn't care for it on my penis. Not a fan of jellied eels.

Best of luck. Hope all goes well.

Neil.

Edited by member 07 Dec 2018 at 14:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Dec 2018 at 23:18

M & M

I had my CT scan on the Friday and my operation on the Monday morning, it is amazing how quickly things can be done when they need to be. Just get OH to ask if the scans are okay on Monday.

Some hospitals issue laxatives movicol etc pre op, the effects of anesthetic and pain killers can cause constipation. Your OH will be expected to drink plenty that should help, keeping mobile can also help keep motions moving, oh will know how his body feels ask the staff for laxatives he feels they are required.

Best wishes.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 00:00
Shopping list:

- a bucket to stand the night bag in

- jogging bottoms in sweatshirt type material in a dark colour and preferably with a drawstring waist rather than elasticated (M&S usually has these)

- pants one size bigger than he usually wears. Not boxers - he will in effect be having a vasectomy alongside the RP so his penis and testicles may be very swollen afterwards and pants will give him more support

- ask the hospital whether he will be given instagell or another local anaesthetic to bring home with him; if not, buy some from the chemist. The eye of his penis may get very sore with the catheter rubbing

- a waterproof sheet from Duncombe might not be needed but is reassuring for him when he has the catheter removed. Alternatively, the disposable waterproof pads you can buy at large pet shops.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 01:17
Definitely invest in a mattress protector from somewhere like Dunelm Mills for around a tenner, to avoid sleeping on a map of Tasmania like I do now, as there will be the inevitable ‘accident’ or three.

They inflate the abdomen with gas so Dr Da Vinci can get to work, and all of your intestines are rearranged out of the way, thus interrupting the peristaltic action of the bowel.

It can take a day or two or four for the intestines to sort themselves out after that disruption, so the first fart is a pleasure, and the first jobby even better. If I were having the operation again, I would definitely take a stool softener such as Fibrogel just before ‘nil by mouth’. They gave me a box of Laxido when I was discharged which I didn’t need, but I think that has a similar function.

Don’t go down the pub with the leg bag discharge tap open, so you don’t have to lie to the barmaid, ‘Sorry, I’ve spilled some beer, have you got a mop?’😂

There is a phone app for kegel pelvic floor excercises which someone here recommended, which I downloaded, so worth looking up? I deleted that off my phone because as you know I had a brilliant surgeon and didn’t need to do any exercises as my continence was good, more or less from the start, barring the accident(s) mentioned above.

I can honestly say I have had more pain from a sore throat and from a broken/bruised rib than from my prostatectomy. I asked the surgeon the next day, ‘Why am I not in any pain, where’s my morphine pump?’ (Her Loveliness had one after her hysterectomy, and never having done drugs, I was quite looking forward to trying a medical grade opiate). He said: ‘That’s the benefit of minimally-invasive surgery, you can have some paracetamol if you want’.

So best of luck to your old man next week, and hopefully you can look forward to a cancer-free 2019.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 13:51
Plenty of good advice given. I would also recommend the laxative route as in the early days when still somewhat tender down there, firm stools are an evil that can easily be prevented!

Best wishes for the op!

Nick

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:15

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Is there anything we should be doing in the days before the surgery?

Thank you 

f*** like there is no tomorrow!!

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:36

Francij1,

F***...That's exactly what me and my wife did.

I caught 2 trout, my wife hauled in a huge Carp.

Neil

Edited by member 07 Dec 2018 at 16:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:39

Thank you for all the tips guys, very useful and we will use every one!!

Arghh Franc - if only!! He is very radioactive ☢️ after the bone scan today. Roll on tomorrow!! Should be okay after 10 hours.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all of my question, I honestly can’t tell you all how much it’s helped.

No doubt I will be back again 😊

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 15:40
Brilliant thats fishing hilarious😁
User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 17:19
Brilliant Neil 😂😂😂

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 17:58

That's all a bit of a laugh.  The only things I bought were a decent dressing gown and pyjamas but didn't use either. Ear plugs were useful at night but we already had those.  I spent most time checking the weather forecast and traffic as me and the surgeon would be on the motorway enroute. The hospital provided almost  everything needed including overnight catheter bag stand.  Boots 5 drop pads will stand a tsunami and there was never a nighttime problem.  I drank plenty all the time to soften things, when you wear a catheter it's someone elses problem till you get home. Keep clean before touching anything on the waterworks. 

It was so exciting to get that dashed thing out, operation day was a mixture of eagerness, control and elation. The enforced rest,  being waited on, being brave and pushing progress is enjoyable for a while as well.  The feeling of relief after the op lasted a few weeks. Hope all goes well.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 14:03
iPad, headphones and Spotify help keep me sane.

Nick

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 15:05
Don’t forget the earplugs, Michaela, the bloody ward alarms were going off all night, and I had a t*** opposite (Catweazle) who had his telly on full blast at 3am!

The next night the sister gave him a bollocking - use your headphones - and for the first time in my life I took a sleeping pill.

Bliss.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 22:59

Hi.

The constipation thing was a problem. I had to get the doc out eventually to prescribe some Movicol. Advice I got was also to raise my legs with a stool when on the toilet to enable the process. Also don't be too alarmed by the blood in the drainage bag. Even a few drops of blood in urine can look frightening. Obviously if there is really dark red blood in any quantity get it checked out. I did pee out a few clots which was a bit disconcerting.
Wishing youbwell.

Edited by member 08 Dec 2018 at 23:01  | Reason: Not specified

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE