I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Vertebroplasty

User
Posted 07 Dec 2018 at 20:24

Hi just to let you know my dad has been in hospital all week with a collapsed vertebrae and has a vertebroplasty procedure booked for Monday. He has to lie flat and still in the meantime. It is a crushing blow to him so I’m just wondering if there is anyone out there who has experienced anything similar and can offer any support. Thank you.

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 00:21
Pen - has it collapsed due to spinal mets?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 09:36

Yes Lyn :o(

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 10:09
Okay, quite a few members have had surgery to stabilise the spine in that case. It tends to be quite successful. Can he move his legs and feet?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Dec 2018 at 12:41

Hi Lyn yes he can at the moment. It is difficult to know exactly re mobility because of the morphine masking everything. Unfortunately we had to wait five days for a bed in the right hospital which has been stressful. However he is there now. There is cancer in the spine but the collapse is at T7. He spent a week on morphine at home before we called 999 this time last week. He’s still on the Zolodex and Abiraterone. It is frustrating the Vertebroplasty couldn’t be done sooner but they are keeping him flat and still ahead of Monday. Unfortunately I am very impatient by nature but I know they can only do what they can do with the resources they have. Just taking it hour by hour at the moment. I’m really unsure how much help we would be entitled to at home in terms of care. Dad is naturally very distressed and disappointed by the whole situation but we are doing our very best. Thank you Lyn. Pen.