I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Boxing Exercise

User
Posted 09 Dec 2018 at 08:05

two years ago I was diagnosed with early stage Prostate cancer. I underwent radiotherapy and now on hormone treatment. I was receiving monthly Prostap injections but after consulting my oncologist, I have now been able to reduce the hormone intake to taking 150mg bicaludamide tablet daily. My reason for this was that I have always be a very fit person and into intense sports and I wanted to try and retrieve some Form of sports again. The treatment  has had an impact on me physically and mentally ie sweats and fatigue and feeling down at times but as my psa levels had dropped to 0.2 I felt it was time to ask if my treatment could be reduced and hopefully help give me some strength back. 

I realise that I am now 64 years old and the physical abilities I had before treatment may never come back but I decided to at least attempt to develop my fitness again through boxing. I have a friend who is a personal trainer and Scottish champion boxer who met with me and discussed the possibilities of doing such a sport. Now people ie family and so called friends tried hard to put me off as they felt I did not have the level of fitness to take up such a sport. Some told me they read that hormone treatment can have an impact on your heart and your bone density. Some people also recognised that I had gained a bit of weight around my midriff and I explained it was due to the treatment. Others felt I should just do general light training such as walking and light weights. But for me this was soul destroying and I had to find a way to make me feel better about myself not only physically but mentally as well.

As most of you may recognise trying to get back your old life previous to cancer diagnosis is not easy and in most cases irretrievable. But I took the advice of an occupational therapist who said I had entered a ‘new norm’ And I was in a period of my life where I could start developing new strategies and take from the old that I enjoyed,assess my levels and build from there.

For the past four months, I have been attending my boxing classes every Tuesday and Thursday for an hour of intense training ( I do have to miss the odd night if I feel unwell). The training is a mix of boxing techniques, pad sparring and circuit training And includes a team of 6-8 others who are boxers and one or two novelists. As part of that training I have built in long walks with my wife three to four times a week for stamina. I sometimes cycle  I cannot run due to a knee weaknes. 

I have found the boxing the best move I have ever made. I feel invigorated again although I do have to watch my intensity but my trainer keeps an eye on this. It’s not all a bed of roses and there are days when the hormone treatment side effects kick in And I either have to rest or take time off. But I have this training that I look forward to giving me a goal again. Something to achieve.

I am always weary that I might be doing more damage to myself as people keep reminding me of my age and cancer treatments but what else can you do? Give in? I have no choice in the matter. I have cancer, being treated, and I need to have a personal goal in life. If I listened to most iof the advice received I would end up doing nothing. 

User
Posted 09 Dec 2018 at 10:03

Hi

I think that where you say that you wanted to feel good about yourself physically and mentally you totally hit the nail on the head. Well done for thinking it through and then going for something that you felt might be a solution but on your own terms. It sounds as though you are enjoying yourself and moving on in a very positive way so keep doing what you enjoy.

I find that walking for pleasure is great but I also have an area of the town which is my own designated litter clearing patch which I cover at least twice a week. I drive the minibus for the school and also do p part time PCV and LGV driving for local companies as well as motorbike rallies and charity fundraisers.

I will be 70 in a couple of weeks and find that it is mental stimutation coupled with physical activity and having a purpose in life that allows me to basically still be me but just with cancer.

All the best

Kevan 

User
Posted 09 Dec 2018 at 18:40

Hi, You didn't say how long you'll be on hormones. 

I don't see why you need to slow down although as max heart rate declines by 1 beat a year it forces you to slow unless you want to risk damage.

Also I badly hurt my hip and ankle and it took months to heal, the GP said it seems like arthritus.  So nature has ways of slowing you down. Especialky if you strain too much.

Have you Polar Flow. It has a strain/recovery and heartrate display via download.  I used to Very Strain I discovered, but not anymore, I limit my workout to Strained and keep my heart rate below 150 except for peaks.

Edited by member 09 Dec 2018 at 18:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2018 at 19:26
Brilliant. It is true that hormone treatment can cause osteoporosis so you need to be aware of any high impact on bones but you will know your own body better than anyone so good on you. If concerned, you could perhaps ask the GP about a test for osteoporosis just to be sure?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 09:53

Hiya,

You have obviously considered your exercise options prudently. Being proactive brings great benefits for both the body and mind but is sometimes difficult to maintain. Keep at it mate, it's great what you are doing. All the best.

Paul