I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostatectomy better than Radio Therapy for young high risk localised Prostate cancer??

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 10:56

Today's discussion topic??

http://prac.co/l/y8d5qnd3

Is RP starting to look like regaining the title of most effective treatment for younger high risk patients??

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 12:20
How do you define young, I’m 64 in January but still feel like someone half my age😁

Bob

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 12:29

The study defined "young" as under 65. So you're young, Bob .

Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 11:07
Doesn't it depend on individual circumstances? I'm "young" (56), but the reason both the urologist and oncologist recommended HT/RT for me was that my relatively high PSA (32 at diagnosis) indicated the possibility of undetectable spread into the surrounding lymph nodes, and hence the urologist didn't feel confident about surgery being able to remove all the cancer cells.

Chris

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 11:35
And that may be exactly why the literature review concluded that prostatectomy was better - they may not have been able to take into account WHY some men were steered towards RT. The young men in the study may have had even worse outcomes if they had gone for RP or may have ended up having SRT anyway.

Retrospective studies often find the conclusion they had set out to find :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 12:20
How do you define young, I’m 64 in January but still feel like someone half my age😁

Bob

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 12:29

Chris

User
Posted 10 Dec 2018 at 12:37

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Chris

WAHOO. 😁😁