I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post op catheter questions

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 14:38

My robot assisted RP went ahead yesterday. The surgeon was quite optimistic for “good outcome” so hopefully and with a bit of luck I no longer have prostate cancer. Now back home after a very unsettled night in hospital. Whilst the catheter is working ok I am conscious of it all of the time. Paracodeol takes the edge off, but is this normal and does it pass. The medics were not that bothered so long as it was draining. Also, is sleeping with it as a big a pain as I think it is going to be? Any hint or tips appreciated 

Thanks 

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:00
Hi Z,

I had a supra-pubic catheter, which comes out just above the penis and below the belt line. Not as bad as a urethral catheter, but they are all a bloody nuisance.

After three or four days you’ll get used to it and all the horrible pipework and literally pissing about. You should then be able to sleep on the side of your choice.

Only a short time to removal, so grin and bear it.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:11
Of I'm brutally honest I never got used to it. It became less noticeable as time went on, a little like having a splinter, but was relieved when it finally came out. Night time I tried to get in a comfortable position on my back and try not to move too much. Don't let the bag get too full as it gets harder to empty the fuller it gets. I suppose it's just a matter of grinning and bearing. Try to avoid straining when trying to poo as this can cause overflow down the urethra.
THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:15

Great to learn that your op' went well.

The catheter, unfortunately, is certainly an irritation. It does get easier after a couple of days. You could try Instillagel around the catheter entry point. Regular rinsing with warm water soothed the area for me.

Try adjusting the position of the thigh strap...higher or lower. I found it easier with the catheter tube running along the top of my thigh rather than the inside.

It will be out before you know it. All the best.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:29

Z

Very early days to expect much else, but the discomfort should start to ease. A very large catheter can be like having toothache in your penis, soreness at the tip is easily solved with a squirt of instillagel or hydro caine gel down the eye of the penis, it is available from most chemists. Make sure there is no weight on the catheter some  nurses do not know how to fit the catheter strap correctly. Fitted correctly the strap should prevent the catheter pulling on the penis, the rubber part of the strap should sit it the "v" of  catheter.  Wear snug but not tight shorts type underwear, a pad inside the pants may be of help. At night or when the night bag is attached wear PJs to stop the piipes getting tangled. If you have a spare strap fasten around the night bag pipe and your ankle. Make the most on not having to get up in the night. Make sure the connections are tight and make sure you understand what is open and closed. Probably the most common cause of leaking is accidently catching the leg bag tap, an elastic band can prevent accidents.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 18:31
The catheter takes a bit of getting used to. When you first shower having the catheter dangling freely feels weird. I found making sure the tube was situated with a bit of slack above the strap position stopped it pulling. I had a self assembly night bag stand to attach the night bag to. I had to be careful not to twist round in bed but you get used to it surprisingly.

Not that I would want it long term but sometimes going to the toilet, holding the bag above the loo and opening the valve was quite satisfactory!

Hope you recover well and the catheter comes out as soon as it is possible. (I had mine removed on day 11 after the operation)

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 20:19
For gods sake regularly check that the bag is hanging right and true - I lost track of the number of times I got distracted doing something only to find the bag hangings had slipped and the catheter tried to pull my innards out when I stood up or moved suddenly :) :)
User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 07:35

I have been catheterised about 15 times and had a catheter on and off for around two years out of the last five years. I think the issues many of us have had is caused be being bundled out of hospital already in shock from major surgery with inappropriate and inadequate catheter products and the lack of adequate training. For most guys the catheter is there for 7 to 21 days and we put up with it. Once something becomes long term we learn and find better ways to handle it. I now use Uri sleeves, tap locks sometimes adhesive catheter straps all prescription issue equipment. The  biggest problem is being issued with a leg bag with the wrong length of pipe, without out the right length to suit you it is going to be a problem. Some nurses on Uro wards and clinics have not had the right training on catheter products. Moan over.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 23:19

I had a catheter in for 9 weeks following RP surgery due to a leak at my bladder neck - eventually it healed but it felt such a long time.

Instillagel worked fine to take away some of the pain, don't wear loose boxers - briefs are much better, 

at night put your night bag in a bucket at the side of the bed. Ensure the bag strapped to you leg is positioned

so as not to put stress on the catheter tube.

Best Wishes

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 07:44
Just in case it helps and encourages anyone. Here’s my experience

1 - I had a std one fitted post open prostatectomy op.

2 - I hated every minute of it, BUT understood how absolutely necessary it was. I was also very self conscious of it when in company even though it was very discreet and when I was wearing my joggers it was well concealed.

3 - I developed a ‘tap the bag’ routine just to check how full it was. I actually kept doing this even after it was removed as it had become a habit.

4 - HERE’S SOME POSITIVE NEWS: I was dreading having it removed and thought it would be very painful. It was not, it was very quick AND BEST OF ALL it was removed just 7 DAYS POST OP AND I was able to control my bladder IMMEDIATELY. I cannot tell you how thankful I am for this, I give thanks every time I pee now!! I only had to wear pads more as a precaution really for a couple of weeks just to stop the odd drip. During this time I had one accident while asleep.

Hope this helps someone.

PS: I did pelvic floors regularly a week pre-op and then for 10 weeks after the catheter was removed. I used the ‘NHS SQUEEZY APP’ on my iPhone and it was brilliant!!!

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 16:01

The use of a larger size catheter (16–20F) is normal following prostate surgery. This will reduce the risk of blockages due to  debris and blood clots.

My catheter was as tight as a drainpipe up rats nostril.

The catheter usually has the size marked on it.

Having the catheter removed was worse in my head than in reality. The nurse had it removed before i could blink.

Edited by member 14 Dec 2018 at 17:25  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:00
Hi Z,

I had a supra-pubic catheter, which comes out just above the penis and below the belt line. Not as bad as a urethral catheter, but they are all a bloody nuisance.

After three or four days you’ll get used to it and all the horrible pipework and literally pissing about. You should then be able to sleep on the side of your choice.

Only a short time to removal, so grin and bear it.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:11
Of I'm brutally honest I never got used to it. It became less noticeable as time went on, a little like having a splinter, but was relieved when it finally came out. Night time I tried to get in a comfortable position on my back and try not to move too much. Don't let the bag get too full as it gets harder to empty the fuller it gets. I suppose it's just a matter of grinning and bearing. Try to avoid straining when trying to poo as this can cause overflow down the urethra.
THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:15

Great to learn that your op' went well.

The catheter, unfortunately, is certainly an irritation. It does get easier after a couple of days. You could try Instillagel around the catheter entry point. Regular rinsing with warm water soothed the area for me.

Try adjusting the position of the thigh strap...higher or lower. I found it easier with the catheter tube running along the top of my thigh rather than the inside.

It will be out before you know it. All the best.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 15:29

Z

Very early days to expect much else, but the discomfort should start to ease. A very large catheter can be like having toothache in your penis, soreness at the tip is easily solved with a squirt of instillagel or hydro caine gel down the eye of the penis, it is available from most chemists. Make sure there is no weight on the catheter some  nurses do not know how to fit the catheter strap correctly. Fitted correctly the strap should prevent the catheter pulling on the penis, the rubber part of the strap should sit it the "v" of  catheter.  Wear snug but not tight shorts type underwear, a pad inside the pants may be of help. At night or when the night bag is attached wear PJs to stop the piipes getting tangled. If you have a spare strap fasten around the night bag pipe and your ankle. Make the most on not having to get up in the night. Make sure the connections are tight and make sure you understand what is open and closed. Probably the most common cause of leaking is accidently catching the leg bag tap, an elastic band can prevent accidents.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 18:31
The catheter takes a bit of getting used to. When you first shower having the catheter dangling freely feels weird. I found making sure the tube was situated with a bit of slack above the strap position stopped it pulling. I had a self assembly night bag stand to attach the night bag to. I had to be careful not to twist round in bed but you get used to it surprisingly.

Not that I would want it long term but sometimes going to the toilet, holding the bag above the loo and opening the valve was quite satisfactory!

Hope you recover well and the catheter comes out as soon as it is possible. (I had mine removed on day 11 after the operation)

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Dec 2018 at 20:19
For gods sake regularly check that the bag is hanging right and true - I lost track of the number of times I got distracted doing something only to find the bag hangings had slipped and the catheter tried to pull my innards out when I stood up or moved suddenly :) :)
User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 07:35

I have been catheterised about 15 times and had a catheter on and off for around two years out of the last five years. I think the issues many of us have had is caused be being bundled out of hospital already in shock from major surgery with inappropriate and inadequate catheter products and the lack of adequate training. For most guys the catheter is there for 7 to 21 days and we put up with it. Once something becomes long term we learn and find better ways to handle it. I now use Uri sleeves, tap locks sometimes adhesive catheter straps all prescription issue equipment. The  biggest problem is being issued with a leg bag with the wrong length of pipe, without out the right length to suit you it is going to be a problem. Some nurses on Uro wards and clinics have not had the right training on catheter products. Moan over.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Dec 2018 at 23:19

I had a catheter in for 9 weeks following RP surgery due to a leak at my bladder neck - eventually it healed but it felt such a long time.

Instillagel worked fine to take away some of the pain, don't wear loose boxers - briefs are much better, 

at night put your night bag in a bucket at the side of the bed. Ensure the bag strapped to you leg is positioned

so as not to put stress on the catheter tube.

Best Wishes

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 07:44
Just in case it helps and encourages anyone. Here’s my experience

1 - I had a std one fitted post open prostatectomy op.

2 - I hated every minute of it, BUT understood how absolutely necessary it was. I was also very self conscious of it when in company even though it was very discreet and when I was wearing my joggers it was well concealed.

3 - I developed a ‘tap the bag’ routine just to check how full it was. I actually kept doing this even after it was removed as it had become a habit.

4 - HERE’S SOME POSITIVE NEWS: I was dreading having it removed and thought it would be very painful. It was not, it was very quick AND BEST OF ALL it was removed just 7 DAYS POST OP AND I was able to control my bladder IMMEDIATELY. I cannot tell you how thankful I am for this, I give thanks every time I pee now!! I only had to wear pads more as a precaution really for a couple of weeks just to stop the odd drip. During this time I had one accident while asleep.

Hope this helps someone.

PS: I did pelvic floors regularly a week pre-op and then for 10 weeks after the catheter was removed. I used the ‘NHS SQUEEZY APP’ on my iPhone and it was brilliant!!!

User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 12:05
Thanks for the helpful responses. The catheter is now under control but I cannot help but think that the one I have in was meant for a bigger bloke than me. I am dreading it coming out since it looks so tight. On another note, first bowl movement yesterday. Having read the cautionary tales about pushing and straining I sat up straight gritted my teeth and let my bowls do the hard work. It was eye watering but when it happened it was over quickly. I am assuming/hoping that it will be easier next time. There was no leakage from the catheter which must be good, but I hope that it does not mean that it is too tight!
User
Posted 14 Dec 2018 at 16:01

The use of a larger size catheter (16–20F) is normal following prostate surgery. This will reduce the risk of blockages due to  debris and blood clots.

My catheter was as tight as a drainpipe up rats nostril.

The catheter usually has the size marked on it.

Having the catheter removed was worse in my head than in reality. The nurse had it removed before i could blink.

Edited by member 14 Dec 2018 at 17:25  | Reason: Not specified