I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Circumcision?

User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 01:06

After radiotherapy and three years of hormone therapy, my penis is about 50% of it's former length, and much reduced girth; I have no libido at all, after a year off the hormones.

But I still have the same amount of foreskin, which does cause problems. At home, I can spend whatever time and tissues and wet wipes I need to ensure cleanliness, but I have an active social life, and there's a limit to how long you can spend fiddling around in the average pub toilet without getting strange looks.

This all means that while I've had no major problems (yet!), I do have frequent soreness and it's all very irritating!

I've been thinking about getting a circumcision rather than wait until I need one.

Any thoughts or experiences to help me decide?

Thanks in anticipation ...

User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 11:37
I have 2” ‘missing in action’ following my surgery, and I find the opposite.

My prepuce is often retracted during the day back behind the glans, whereas it never was before, and indeed I have to retract my foreskin before sitting down to the toilet otherwise I end up pissing between the lavatory seat and the bowl straight onto the floor.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 11:56
A full circumcision is not always needed, just a "shortening" job.

I find wet wipes make any soreness worse so I just use paper to dab dry, to do this I go in a cubical as throwing paper down the urinal is a bit anti-social! I have a prescription for 2% Daktarin 1% Hydrocortisone cream which works well.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 17:57

H73

I have been having similar thoughts myself, a couple of infections that caused an inflammation of the foreskin has left me a bit of an extended foreskin plus no doubt a bit of shrinkage from treatment and trying to remove some very sticky conveens. One advantage of an extended foreskin is it can contain a small dribble. I have started using concerns again and the extra skin can be an issue. 

My last experience of a circumcision was about 57 years ago when the lad in the next Hospital bed had his removed, the screams still haunt me. I will follow you post with interest.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 18:09
Not really relevant but I was circumcised at 5 yrs old for no apparent reason other than it was tight. I’ve since discovered you shouldn’t be making any decisions with a male child until they are at least 10 , and my little lad with supervision is now fine. I feel anger that that decision was made for me out of my control and that I’ve never in my life experienced normal male sensations. I distinctly remember being sat in a sink at Butlins in warm dettol water with an awful post-circumcision infection and screaming my head off whilst the bandages were soaked off daily. My councillor compares it to child abuse and that I have PTSD still from it.
User
Posted 17 Dec 2018 at 18:49
Bollinge

Yes it is a nightmare getting up to find you’ve peed all over the back of your trousers and the flow because you forgot to tuck.

Herman

I had mine done in my forties due to tightness. It is usually done under general and is a doddle. All you need to do is protect your stitches and keep things clean while it heals. The stitches will eventually fall off. Things afterwards feel very different hydraulically if you get my drift.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 11:37
I have 2” ‘missing in action’ following my surgery, and I find the opposite.

My prepuce is often retracted during the day back behind the glans, whereas it never was before, and indeed I have to retract my foreskin before sitting down to the toilet otherwise I end up pissing between the lavatory seat and the bowl straight onto the floor.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 11:56
A full circumcision is not always needed, just a "shortening" job.

I find wet wipes make any soreness worse so I just use paper to dab dry, to do this I go in a cubical as throwing paper down the urinal is a bit anti-social! I have a prescription for 2% Daktarin 1% Hydrocortisone cream which works well.

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 17:57

H73

I have been having similar thoughts myself, a couple of infections that caused an inflammation of the foreskin has left me a bit of an extended foreskin plus no doubt a bit of shrinkage from treatment and trying to remove some very sticky conveens. One advantage of an extended foreskin is it can contain a small dribble. I have started using concerns again and the extra skin can be an issue. 

My last experience of a circumcision was about 57 years ago when the lad in the next Hospital bed had his removed, the screams still haunt me. I will follow you post with interest.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 Dec 2018 at 18:09
Not really relevant but I was circumcised at 5 yrs old for no apparent reason other than it was tight. I’ve since discovered you shouldn’t be making any decisions with a male child until they are at least 10 , and my little lad with supervision is now fine. I feel anger that that decision was made for me out of my control and that I’ve never in my life experienced normal male sensations. I distinctly remember being sat in a sink at Butlins in warm dettol water with an awful post-circumcision infection and screaming my head off whilst the bandages were soaked off daily. My councillor compares it to child abuse and that I have PTSD still from it.
User
Posted 17 Dec 2018 at 10:02

Thanks for those interesting (and helpful) comments. And Chris, awful to hear of your experience. Yes, it was assault.

I think the infant pain thing is partly that they (frequently) don't use anaesthetic in infant circumcision (strange but true), also that the child is sharing his outrage at being assaulted. I know of cases where infant circumcision was required - but of course mostly it's about ancient ritual, and the screams are part of that. It's obscene. And, of course, infection is much more likely in an infant than an adult who knows and understands what's going on, why, and what to look for. 

But I also know of a couple of adults who've had it done, with anaesthetic, consent, superglue and modern non-stick dressings: regular ibuprofen has been sufficient to avoid serious pain.

It's only skin, after all - most of those much vaunted bonus nerve endings are in the glans itself.

I'll update if, as and when!

Edited by member 17 Dec 2018 at 10:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2018 at 18:49
Bollinge

Yes it is a nightmare getting up to find you’ve peed all over the back of your trousers and the flow because you forgot to tuck.

Herman

I had mine done in my forties due to tightness. It is usually done under general and is a doddle. All you need to do is protect your stitches and keep things clean while it heals. The stitches will eventually fall off. Things afterwards feel very different hydraulically if you get my drift.