I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Use of PREDNISONE

User
Posted 17 Dec 2018 at 23:08

I completed 6 cycles of Docetaxel chemotherapy almost two years ago. Part of that treatment regime included taking two doses of Prednisone steroid tablets every day thoughout all the cycles meaning I started on day one of the Docetaxel and carried on with them for three week after the cessation of chemotherapy. It was explained to me the important part these steroids play in the treatment.  

Just recently though I have been taking to someone who has NOT been given Prednisone along with the Docetaxel.  Is this now being left out in general or is it possible that an error has been made?

Cheers

Dave

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 00:59
Hi Dave

my husband is on docetaxol now and he takes prednisone twice a day for 21days so I think that is still the general case.

barbara x

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 08:20
Hi Dave

I've still got two cycles of docataxel to complete. I take 2 Prednisolone tablets every morning with breakfast. On Chemo days ie next one is Christmas Eve I switch steroids to dexamethasone and will take 24 tablets over 3 days on 23/12, 24/12 and 25/12, then back on the prednisolone. The dex has you bouncing off the ceiling and wide awake at 4.30am. It's on the FIFA banned drug list.

My Onco has told me after my last Chemo session he wants me to drop the Prednisolone dose to one a day for 2 weeks, then one tablet every other day for another 2 weeks then I'll be solely reliant on my 3 monthly prostap jabs for a couple more years.

That's the plan anyway.

John

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 08:52
Hi Dave

Tony has to take his Prednisolone 1 with breakfast and 1 with lunch and then 12 tablets of dexamethasone, 4 evening before 4 morning before and 4 evening of. that seems a lot that you take. xx

regards barbara

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 08:59
Hi Barbara

My Onco told me not to take the Prednisolone and Dexamethasone on the same day unless I chose not to have any sleep.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 09:34

Thanks for all the replies.

The guy I have been in contact with isn’t on this forum so won’t see this. I have mentioned the Prednisolone to him several times as he was suffering so badly with his first cycle. He was adamant that it was not part of his treatment and now his doc has stopped his chemotherapy after that one cycle because of the side effects.

Jasper, I was bouncing off the ceiling most days, not just when the two steroids were combined! One of my son’s asked if my wife was going to need tranquilizers 😀.  The Prednisolone was stopped abruptly three weeks after the last dose of Docetaxel.  My body didn’t like that much!

Dave

Edited by member 18 Dec 2018 at 09:42  | Reason: text addition

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 10:03
Hi Dave

Tony doesn't take them both on the same day either, he was told not to take the prednisolone after 4 either as it would keep him awake all night.

barbara

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 12:10
Hi Dave

It would be very helpful if you could expand on your last point.

What were the after effects when you came off the steroids. You've got me worried.

John

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 12:49
Hi John,

Sorry, didn’t think there. Your oncologist is probably reducing the dosage gradually to help with withdrawal. It wasn’t serious or debilitating but I found it ironic that I had less energy and was more tired and achy after chemotherapy than I was during. It is a known effect of stopping steroids. I’m afraid I can’t remember how long before I was back to normal - well, the “new normal” anyway as it was nearly two years ago. I’m back to jumping tall buildings now though 😀😀