Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My story so far.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 18:29

Hi Everyone,

My name is Richard, I am a 51 year old man who has recently had a Radical Prostatectomy operation. 

It all started around 5 years ago when I was told I had an enlarged prostate. I was never called back at any stage, so I used to make an appointment myself once a year.I was told after each examination that It was still enlarged and things were okay. I had a random conversation with a guy who has the same happen to him, and he ended up with Prostate cancer. He said to me, get your PSA test done, that's the best way.

So after getting it done, I got a phone call the next day to go to my doctors to discuss the results. My PSA level was 4.6 which had jumped up from an initial 1.9. So I was sent to the Urology department at Heatherwood Hospital 4 days later for an MRI scan. It wasn't clear so they performed a biopsy the same day.

After a very nervous 7 days I got my results and It was confirmed I had Prostate cancer, after initial reaction I listened to my consultant Mr [name removed], he recommended that the prostate be removed as my best option. So on the 7th of December I had a Radical Prostatectomy operation at The Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading. I cannot fault them.

Apparently it went to plan and they didn't remove any lymph nodes which is good so fingers crossed. I am resting at home now on my road to recovery.

Edited by moderator 18 Dec 2018 at 19:35  | Reason: Dr name removed.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 22:55

Hi Richard,

Good luck with your recovery. Wish you all the very best for the future. 

Neil.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 06:24
Good luck and have a good Xmas. Take it easy. You can click peoples pictures and read their profiles. I was 48 at surgery.
User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 13:23
Hi Richard

Try to relax,as much as you can, take things really slow, your body has had a traumatic shock!

i am now into 5 months post op, and improving daily, its not a sprint as someone very close tells me.

take care

Andy

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 16:09

Hi Richard

I’m under the care of Wexham Park, but had scans and TRUS biopsy at Heatherwood and surgery at Royal Berkshire.  That was two years ago.  ive since had salvage RT in Bracknell, so feel like i have done a tour of local hospitals.

hope your recovery goes well

Ulsterman

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Dec 2018 at 22:55

Hi Richard,

Good luck with your recovery. Wish you all the very best for the future. 

Neil.

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 06:24
Good luck and have a good Xmas. Take it easy. You can click peoples pictures and read their profiles. I was 48 at surgery.
User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 13:23
Hi Richard

Try to relax,as much as you can, take things really slow, your body has had a traumatic shock!

i am now into 5 months post op, and improving daily, its not a sprint as someone very close tells me.

take care

Andy

User
Posted 19 Dec 2018 at 16:09

Hi Richard

I’m under the care of Wexham Park, but had scans and TRUS biopsy at Heatherwood and surgery at Royal Berkshire.  That was two years ago.  ive since had salvage RT in Bracknell, so feel like i have done a tour of local hospitals.

hope your recovery goes well

Ulsterman