I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Am desperate for advice or to hear from someone who is going through the same .

User
Posted 20 Dec 2018 at 23:37

Hi , Im new on here and even though ive followed and read other questions and answers it is the first time ive posted . My husband was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer 3 years ago. The news was bad from the start with a high psa and gleason 9 (5 / 4) However as my husband was 54 and fit we thought even though the prognosis was bad he stood a fighting chance of making 5 years. Despite extensive treatments including radium 223 the cancer has progressed rapidly including extensive bone mets. He had to stop the last treatment as he became anaemic . We had dreadful news today that the cancer is now in his liver. Tomorrow we go to the hospital to discuss what next. We dont know if he is well enough to tolerate chemo. I am desperately scared that they will not be able to do anything for him .I am desperate for some positive news. 

User
Posted 21 Dec 2018 at 04:02

Hello CdK

I'm really sorry to see your post, it must be so frightneing to be facing this. Have you got the support of a local hospice? i ask because ours has been incredibly helpful to us in the last eight years of our ”journey” and even more now when things are becoming difficult. One ohone call to our named nurse and she comes our or phones and she sorts out any problems we might have. its a real help. I’ll be thinking of you,

with love

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 21 Dec 2018 at 04:11
Sorry for the situation your husband is in. Your husband's oncologist should be in the best position to suggest 'what next' but some either don't know about or if they do don't sometimes mention other possibilities that may be available abroad. For example, some men have done well on immunotherapy but this sometimes needs to be privately and at considerable cost but you could ask whether is worth consideration.
Barry
User
Posted 23 Dec 2018 at 17:03
CdK, Don't forget that the liver has a remarkable ability to regenerate. My prostate cancer has never moved to my liver but my bladder cancer did more than a year ago. Chemo has been effective and immunotherapy is the next step, but meantime scans have shown necrosis of BC tumour where the chemo has worked and considerable growth of new liver tissue. My met covered 40% of the liver, so pretty serious. My message is therefore, don't despair. Keep your hopes alive.

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Dec 2018 at 04:02

Hello CdK

I'm really sorry to see your post, it must be so frightneing to be facing this. Have you got the support of a local hospice? i ask because ours has been incredibly helpful to us in the last eight years of our ”journey” and even more now when things are becoming difficult. One ohone call to our named nurse and she comes our or phones and she sorts out any problems we might have. its a real help. I’ll be thinking of you,

with love

Devonmaid xxx

User
Posted 21 Dec 2018 at 04:11
Sorry for the situation your husband is in. Your husband's oncologist should be in the best position to suggest 'what next' but some either don't know about or if they do don't sometimes mention other possibilities that may be available abroad. For example, some men have done well on immunotherapy but this sometimes needs to be privately and at considerable cost but you could ask whether is worth consideration.
Barry
User
Posted 23 Dec 2018 at 00:41

Thankyou so much for your reply. My husband is starting chemo on Christmas eve . Hopefully he can tolerate it as his blood-count has been low . We have both been trying to keep positive  throughout but its been one upset after another with any treatments available. It is so hard as we both know that chemo is probably all that’s left to treat him. My heart breaks for him and for our children. Cancer is such a dreadful disease . I really do appreciate you taking time to reply and I will take your advice and speak to the team in the cancer centre. I know our local hospice well as i lost my Mum to cancer and she spent her last weeks in the hospice. It was a great help to us all to see the care they gave to her . I know that my husband would want to be at home so I will cross that bridge when the time comes . 

User
Posted 23 Dec 2018 at 00:49

Thankyou for your reply.  We were at the hospital to see the consultant and my husband starts chemo on Christmas Eve. We are just hoping that he can tolerate it as he’s been anaemic and had blood transfusions lately .Everything I have read about lesions in the liver leads me to think the worst so I’m not going there . I just want one positive or something that I can cling on to that might give us more time. 

User
Posted 23 Dec 2018 at 17:03
CdK, Don't forget that the liver has a remarkable ability to regenerate. My prostate cancer has never moved to my liver but my bladder cancer did more than a year ago. Chemo has been effective and immunotherapy is the next step, but meantime scans have shown necrosis of BC tumour where the chemo has worked and considerable growth of new liver tissue. My met covered 40% of the liver, so pretty serious. My message is therefore, don't despair. Keep your hopes alive.

AC