Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Recent changes.

User
Posted 26 Dec 2018 at 16:59

Hi all, 

My dad died in 2004 with prostate cancer which spread and eventually killed him. I have BPH, which was diagnosed in 2012/13. i am diabetic also. (type 2) i have my PSA checked annually, last time it was 1. something, i cant recall exactly. I also have erectile dysfunction which Dr says is due to low testosterone levels. I am seriously over weight and  have experienced some changes lately. I have real problems holding in my urine, its as if my body says i need a wee and then sets a few second fuse during which time  i have to get to a loo. i often leak before i get to a loo. in addition i have started to experience excessive need during the night. 3-5 times on average. Also to add to this i have started to experience pain in my left hip and pelvis, also in my lower back. i cannot even try to make an appointment with my GP until thursday and it willthen be a week wait. Am i right to be concerned or just over worrying? 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2018 at 20:22
From the nightly weeing, it sounds like your diabetes might not be very well controlled at the moment?

Your PSA number isn't as important as the trend - has it stayed fairly stable over the years since 2012?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Dec 2018 at 22:20

Thanks for your reply. what about the other symptoms, the leakage, the hip, pelvis,  and back pain. the latest PSA was in Aug i think. it has constantly been below one previously. The quote at the end is a bit pointless though isnt it? bit demeaning! 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2018 at 22:29
Those symptoms could be indicative of a UTI and you are presumably well aware that diabetes makes you more susceptible to water infections.

Back pain and hip pain are not symptoms of prostate cancer. They could be indicators of bone mets but not if your PSA has remained stable over a sustained period.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 26 Dec 2018 at 22:31
The quote appears at the end of all my posts. If you don't like it just let me know and I will try to remember not to respond to your queries in future.

User
Posted 26 Dec 2018 at 22:48

Its not you its me. i have very little tolerance at the moment and a quote that had no bearing on my question just rankled. I’m going to leave the forum. i dont think im in the right frame of mind at the minute. 

User
Posted 26 Dec 2018 at 23:22

Brian,

Set the symptoms aside that are non necessarily PCa related and there is not really anything to suggest you have PCa. I say this humbly because I struggle with keeping weight down but with your situation, which includes diabetes it might be a good idea to see a dietician and work out a suitable diet and an exercise regime if you have not yet done so, Also, attending a Urinary Continence Clinic may be of benefit as it was to me. There are a number of tips they provide and they aim to assist in what they call 'bladder retraining'.
A good place to start would be a meeting with your GP concerning the foregoing and his/her thoughts about the several symptoms you are experiencing. Your enlarged Prostate could be causing a problem and referral to a urologist could be appropriate.

The quotation, as Lyn makes clear, was not specifically directed at you but acts as a sort of signature or tag which some members of various forums feel the need to use, even though it may have no other relevance.

Edited by member 27 Dec 2018 at 00:21  | Reason: Not specified

Barry