I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Importance of 'flu jab' for men with PCa

User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 00:45

Here is a newsflash from Prostate Cancer NHS, please consider if you have not yet done so.

"Important

The 2018/19 flu jab is now available.

Flu can be very serious if you have prostate cancer. Ask for your free NHS flu jab at:

• your GP surgery
  • a local pharmacy that offers the service"

Barry
User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 05:59

I have eschewed offers of the influenza vaccine in previous years, as having lived to sixty-two and never having had the ‘flu, I assume I am naturally immune.

However, talking to my pharmacist, this year’s batch of ‘flu vaccine is quadrivalent, inasmuch that it covers four separate ‘flu strain variants, unlike previous batches, which were only trivalent.

I looked up the notes about the vaccine and read positive things, and went straight back for the jab. I had no side effects whatsoever - maybe because I am naturally immune 😉?

Cancer sufferers / survivors should also consider having a pneumonia vaccination.

http://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/inactivated-flu-vaccine

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 27 Dec 2018 at 06:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 08:32
Thanks for highlighting that Barry will pop down to my surgery later to arrange mine

Bob

User
Posted 27 Dec 2018 at 22:33
Had mine as soon as it became available around October time.

Chris

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 02:30

Have had one every year since diagnosis.  Always been OK. 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 11:02
I was told I couldn't have one as I am under 60 and not on "active" treatment??
User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 11:07
Under NICE guidelines, anyone that has had cancer is in the target group. John has had it every year since diagnosis.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 14:58
Was booked in for mine today but was then told by the nurse that as I am not over 65 or on active treatment i.e. I am not yet undergoing my RT I am not eligible.

Tried to explain to her that I am at the moment on HT which is making me very tired and fatigued and I did not think I would be able to cope with having flu as well but to no avail.

She suggested I go to pharmacist and pay for it.

Bob

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 17:56
I've taken a homeopathic treatment for the last few years which I get from the pharmacy in France.
User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 18:53
I would note that the NHS says:

"There is no good-quality evidence that homeopathy is effective as a treatment for any health condition"

While the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee reported in 2010 that:

"Homeopathic remedies perform no better than placebos, and the principles on which homeopathy is based are scientifically implausible."

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 19:47

Does this mean flu is particularly bad with prostate cancer or flu is worse for anyone who is undergoing treatment for an illness.  Probably the latter and that flu can be bad for anyone, particularly older people who might not be as strong anyway.

Since having the jab I rarely have colds although it might be a coincidence.  You can also have a one time pneumonia jab at the same time in the other arm.

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 20:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Was booked in for mine today but was then told by the nurse that as I am not over 65 or on active treatment i.e. I am not yet undergoing my RT I am not eligible.
Tried to explain to her that I am at the moment on HT which is making me very tired and fatigued and I did not think I would be able to cope with having flu as well but to no avail.
She suggested I go to pharmacist and pay for it.

Bob

Appalling ...complain otherwise this kind of unprofessional behaviour gets masked 

Bri 

User
Posted 28 Dec 2018 at 22:55

Cancer is not actually on the NHS's list of conditions that automatically get you a free flu jab, Bri, so I'm not sure that this can be considered "unprofessional". See:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/who-should-have-flu-vaccine/

"Weakened immune system" does get you a free jab, so people on chemo should get it.

It seems to be a matter of discretion for the individual GP surgery. Mine gave it me free.

Chris

Edited by member 28 Dec 2018 at 23:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Dec 2018 at 06:39
I had mine for free at the local chemist’s, no questions asked. I think they are keen to get the money.

I think I have seen it advertised at Boot’s for a tenner, available to everyone.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2018 at 09:24

"Flu can be very serious if you have prostate cancer."

News to me. I have the flu jab every year, as I'm an old git, and the older you are, the higher the risk.

And obviously if you are 'infirm' for any reason (eg on HT!!) your risk is higher.

But I'd love to know what Prostate-specific reasons they've made up to scare us into it!

User
Posted 29 Dec 2018 at 10:03

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

"Flu can be very serious if you have prostate cancer."

News to me. I have the flu jab every year, as I'm an old git, and the older you are, the higher the risk.

And obviously if you are 'infirm' for any reason (eg on HT!!) your risk is higher.

But I'd love to know what Prostate-specific reasons they've made up to scare us into it!

i would imagine having cancer and the possible treatments is going to lower your immunity which will make you more susceptible to flu 

Bri 

User
Posted 29 Dec 2018 at 15:51

From Cancer Research UK

Who should have the flu vaccination

Some cancer treatments lower immunity and lower your resistance to flu. These include:

chemotherapy
radiotherapy
some targeted cancer drugs
some immunotherapy treatments
long term steroids
removal of the spleen

Your doctor will usually suggest that you have the flu vaccine if you have low immunity due to cancer or its treatment. But check with them first.

After cancer treatment your resistance to infection might be low for some months or years.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-in-general/treatment/cancer-drugs/flu-vaccine

Edited by member 29 Dec 2018 at 15:52  | Reason: Not specified

Barry