I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Still in pain 9 weeks post surgery

User
Posted 29 Dec 2018 at 10:31

Just over 9 weeks since RALP, and still getting pain.

The pain is not intense, probably only a 3 or 4 out of 10, but sometimes it gets me down. I am 99% continent and have reasonable erectile function.  I know I should feel grateful for such a good result so far, but the presence of blood spots at begining and end of urination, or the general pain down below is testing my resolve.

I have been taking paracetemol since the surgery, but this only helps slightly.

I have been told to expect blood for up to 8 weeks, and that recovery could take up to 12 weeks (so take this to be pain could be around for that long).

User
Posted 29 Dec 2018 at 13:34
Can’t help you too much, as I was not really in any pain at all (and I’m a big baby) after my operation, but I did piss some big blood clots of old, brown blood, around four weeks after my surgery.

I rationalised it by by comparing the state of healing of my seven post-operative puncture wounds, and assumed the internal healing was at a similar stage. The abdominal wounds took months to heal properly.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 29 Dec 2018 at 23:43

I didn't have any pain either but I wonder where your pain is.   

I got flashes of pain in the big stomach wound if I lifted too much.   There were a couple of flashes of pain down my leg that I suspected were sciatic nerve.

If the pain is round the bladder area and you're getting blood I thought perhaps paracetamol might stop it clotting properly, however reading more it says paracetamol doesn't stop clotting but also it doesn't help inflammation.  A question is whether paracetamol a good treatment during healing, perhaps someone else can answer.

Also presumably is it that you're straining on the toilet or drinking too much.  More information on the pain might make someone else recognise it.  Regards

User
Posted 30 Dec 2018 at 07:20
Urine infection?? has your GP tested it?? I had a couple of UTI'S post surgery and my bout of peritonitis. They gave me mild pain and a bit of blood but the GP got it cultured and treated with the correct anti biotic and all was sorted.
User
Posted 30 Dec 2018 at 09:17

Most pain is from the perineum on the right hand side which has been constant, and occasionally deep inside feels like i have a full bladder that is a heavy feeling. occasionally when i need to open my bowels the pain is quite intense like something is pushing against an open wound, this is also followed by blood in the urine.