Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Awaiting Biopsy Results - Back & Hip Pain

User
Posted 31 Dec 2018 at 19:16

Dear all

My PSA reading was 12 and following a DRE and MRI scan I have had a biopsy. I am 57 and had no signs of a problem prior to a urine (and prostate) infection in October which resulted in the PSA test. My prostate is not (as I understand it) enlarged Height 30 Volume 27.8.

I have carried out research on line and to be honest this has created a lot of anxiety.

Two days after my biopsy I started to get pain in the small of my back and when sleeping get pain in both hips,  the pain in my back in constant throughout the day. The MRI scan did show that the suspicion of cancer was confined to my prostate “bilaterally abornmal areas” however since the start of the back and hip pain I have started to get concerned that if I have prostate cancer that it may have spread.

Should I contact my urology centre to advise of the back and hip pain while waiting for the results? The biopsy was taken on 18th December.

Thank you for reading and if you have any experience that is relevant I would be grateful to hear from you.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2018 at 20:39

Hi Fred

the phase you are currently in is usually the most unsettling.Believe it or not once you have a full dx and know what your treatment plan is you will feel more settled.

I dont want to play down your aches and pains but its interesting how these have developed or that youve noticed them since your  tests and research . Believe me it is so easy to associate every ache and pain with cancer (been there got the t-shirt). The MRI has confirmed it is contained so hopefully the aches and pains are normal and/or stress related.

If you need reassurance you could  ring your Doctor about the aches but from the info you have shared IMO it sounds unlikely to be Pca but i am not medically trained either

good luck

Bri 

Edited by member 31 Dec 2018 at 20:40  | Reason: Bad grammar

User
Posted 01 Jan 2019 at 02:02
You are probably not sleeping well - tiredness and tension can cause backache and the mind can play cruel tricks. Alternatively, you might have an infection which may or may not be linked to the biopsy.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Jan 2019 at 09:30
I have had recurrent hip, lower back and sciatic pain since way before my diagnosis.
Since my diagnosis my first thought when it kicks off is that it is bone cancer, this is despite bone scans x-rays etc and confirmation that at some point I will need a new hip as I have no lining left on parts of my hip and 1 leg is an inch shorter than the other following a fracture.

I'm afraid it seems to be par for the course once you have a cancer diagnosis your brain will assume ALL pain is cancer.

As other commentators have said once you get over the shock it gets better.