Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rising Psa during chemo?

User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 15:49

Hi all

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in July 2018, spread to lymph nodes, pelvis, spine and left femur. Psa over 1500, Gleason 9 (4+5). He was immediately started on 3 monthly hormone injections and given 4 weeks of bicalutimide.

He has just completed 6 sessions of docetaxal, initial response was good with a drop in Psa to 101. But by the fourth session his Psa had started to rise again and is currently 204, at least it's no longer in the thousands but it's basically doubled in 6 weeks.

We are both very worried by this unexpected result (ok, so we're completely bricking it!), any thoughts/advice please? Oncologist has told us 'don't panic yet', it's the 'yet' that has completely freaked us out.

Thank you for your support.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 16:27
Hi Sarah,

The rise in PSA during docetaxel isn't great news. What is the Oncologist suggesting next? I'm a month behind you DX wise and after my final chemo session my Onco is lining up 20 doses of RT to blast the cancer further. Has RT been suggested?

John

User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 16:49

Trust your onco. PSA is not a reliable indicator during chemo - basically, the cancer can realise it is being attacked and gives off extra PSA as it tries to fight back. It doesn't mean the chemo isn't working.

Edited by member 02 Jan 2019 at 16:52  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 17:29

Hi John

Thank you for your reply, oncologist has ordered a bone scan and review in one month. No suggestion of RT.

He's not overly happy with the rise but wants to check out if the cancer has progressed at all before looking at any further treatment.

This waiting is the pits!

Good luck with your final chemo and RT!

User
Posted 02 Jan 2019 at 17:30

Thank you Lyn, that makes sense. Keeping everything crossed.

Sarah